The Student Room Group

AS/A levels for medicine?

Hi there,
I’m currently an year 12 CIE high-school student and I want to go into medicine so when I was looking at the medical entry requirements in the UK, and it said I needed 3 A levels and this year I do AS chemistry, AS biology and AS English and in year 13 I’d be doing those 3 subjects at A level (lol yes yr 13 coz I live in nz) , which counts up to having done 3 A levels but the thing I’m worried about is that most Universities in the UK recommended having 3 science subjects? Like A2 Physics but I’ve only taken IGCSE physics up until this year…
So my question is.. would the fact that by the end of high school even though I would have A2 qualifications for Bio and Chem but only an AS qualification in physics, would this drastically affect my options for UK medical universities and slim down my chance of getting accepted?
Original post by Anna.Lou
Hi there,
I’m currently an year 12 CIE high-school student and I want to go into medicine so when I was looking at the medical entry requirements in the UK, and it said I needed 3 A levels and this year I do AS chemistry, AS biology and AS English and in year 13 I’d be doing those 3 subjects at A level (lol yes yr 13 coz I live in nz) , which counts up to having done 3 A levels but the thing I’m worried about is that most Universities in the UK recommended having 3 science subjects? Like A2 Physics but I’ve only taken IGCSE physics up until this year…
So my question is.. would the fact that by the end of high school even though I would have A2 qualifications for Bio and Chem but only an AS qualification in physics, would this drastically affect my options for UK medical universities and slim down my chance of getting accepted?

You are fine. Chemistry then Biology are by far the most important subjects. Only Cambridge tends to be standard for candidates offering three sciences. Most of them dont care about the third.. Btw Maths will count as a science.

Your choices are fine and you will be able to apply anywhere.
No resits though. Work hard and GL.
Bio, chem, any other two science or academic humanities subject. Aim for AAAA-A*A*A*A*
Hi there,

Three sciences not necessary:

https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-be-a-doctor/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Oh my gosh thank you for that!! Would taking up psychology be a better choice than math?
Reply 5
Original post by rickyrossman
Bio, chem, any other two science or academic humanities subject. Aim for AAAA-A*A*A*A*

Thanks!! Would taking A2 psychology count? As another science
Thanks!! Would taking A2 psychology count? As another science

Unfortunately, not all med schools class it as a science. Some do though. Although I wouldn't worry since you're doing both biology and chemistry. You don't need three sciences, though if you find sciences easier than it would be best to do three sciences. Psychology would be an acceptable third subject though.
I applied for medicine this year and should go to med school this sept as long as I make the grades (hopefully haha).
I took three sciences and maths at AS and dropped physics for A2, almost all UK medical schools require Chemistry A2, about half require Biology A2.
Most of them say you need at least two sciences including chemistry for A2 level so you'd need to take A2 chemistry and either biology, physics (or maths in some places). Just be aware that psychology doesn't count as a 'science' (in any medical schools I looked into at least). So as long as you take two sciences (i would recommend chemistry and biology to give you the most options), you can choose whichever third subject you want. Also, although places like Cambridge say they like 3 sciences, UCL actually say they prefer you to take a third subject which isn't a science so it varies between universities.
Reply 9
Original post by rickyrossman
Unfortunately, not all med schools class it as a science. Some do though. Although I wouldn't worry since you're doing both biology and chemistry. You don't need three sciences, though if you find sciences easier than it would be best to do three sciences. Psychology would be an acceptable third subject though.
oh okay!! thanks :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by rosie8291
I applied for medicine this year and should go to med school this sept as long as I make the grades (hopefully haha).
I took three sciences and maths at AS and dropped physics for A2, almost all UK medical schools require Chemistry A2, about half require Biology A2.
Most of them say you need at least two sciences including chemistry for A2 level so you'd need to take A2 chemistry and either biology, physics (or maths in some places). Just be aware that psychology doesn't count as a 'science' (in any medical schools I looked into at least). So as long as you take two sciences (i would recommend chemistry and biology to give you the most options), you can choose whichever third subject you want. Also, although places like Cambridge say they like 3 sciences, UCL actually say they prefer you to take a third subject which isn't a science so it varies between universities.
so taking A2 chem and A2 bio is okay? thank god lol but then how does that add up with AAA grade system? because the third A level subject i'm taking next year is English and i'm not really sure if i can make an A grade, which is why i was sort of resorting to psychology. because i can take psychology this year at AS level so i can do it next year at A level.

what would you recommend for my third subject if it happens to be required. AS physics, AS math or A2 psychology?

also a massive good luck to you!! (:
Hi there,

Hi there!

Most medical schools require A-Level Chemistry and Biology - but you can see exactly which UK med schools require which subjects on our What A-Levels do I need to be a doctor? page.

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal

Quick Reply

Latest