The Student Room Group

My Headteacher did this and now I'm sad

My whole year group was in study support after school for 3 hours.
We were revising.
This week is our mock exams and we had a mathematics test on Monday
I finished the test early at 40 minutes.
I had to wait for 50 minutes and the exam people gave me pieces of paper to scribble on since I thought I'd look immature if I just slept.
I was scribbling on the paper and writing notes such as "I'm pretty cool" and furthermore, I even went and wrote a few answers that I gave on the test to check if they were right.
I had answers and scribbles and notes on this paper.
When the time came to collect my paper, I took away the spare sheets of paper and they said I'd have to give it in.
I didn't want to make a scene and they were saying stuff and I was just saying "ok, yes, fine" not even hearing what they said.
So after that, when everyone had left, I waited behind and I talked to the exam people.
They said they wouldn't give me my paper back since everything had to be taken in. If it had working.
I said, I don't want the paper to be marked and I asked 5x "Can i have the paper back".
The exam official lady for my school came and she said "Let's just get out the paper".
They looked at the paper and the highlighted "I'm pretty cool" and she gave it back to me.
But the exam people didn't want me to have it.

I go to my next lesson and all my HOY came and took me out of class for an internal exclusion for being "rude to a member of staff".

I had to write a statement of what had happened and I said that she was shouting at me yet when the exam official came she was quiet.

Then at the end of the statement it said "What could you have done to make the situation better?"
I wrote that "Ok, Next time I'll bring flowers."

Then my headteacher saw it and he shouted at me in front of the whole year group and threatened to stop me from sitting the exams in "his centre".

Mind you, I'm an academically gifted student and I usually get A*s in my exams. They don't like me because I'm applying to different schools and they think I'm arrogant
This was shown when I said "I'm going to a Great school next year"
And they said I was calling my school bad which wasn't true.
The school I'm going to calls their upper school (ages 13-18) the Great school.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?
Was he right to shout at me?
Am I really going to get disqualified or expelled from school.
My headteacher threatened me

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Going to my next exam now.
I have a meeting with him after and I'm scared.
Original post by sadstudent3
We were revising.
I had to wait for 50 minutes and the exam people gave me pieces of paper to scribble on since I thought I'd look immature if I just slept.
I was scribbling on the paper and writing notes such as "I'm pretty cool" and furthermore, I even went and wrote a few answers that I gave on the test to check if they were right.
When the time came to collect my paper, I took away the spare sheets of paper and they said I'd have to give it in.
I didn't want to make a scene and they were saying stuff and I was just saying "ok, yes, fine" not even hearing what they said.
So after that, when everyone had left, I waited behind and I talked to the exam people.
They said they wouldn't give me my paper back since everything had to be taken in. If it had working.
I said, I don't want the paper to be marked and I asked 5x "Can i have the paper back".
The exam official lady for my school came and she said "Let's just get out the paper".
They looked at the paper and the highlighted "I'm pretty cool" and she gave it back to me.

I go to my next lesson and all my HOY came and took me out of class for an internal exclusion for being "rude to a member of staff".

I had to write a statement of what had happened and I said that she was shouting at me yet when the exam official came she was quiet.

Then at the end of the statement it said "What could you have done to make the situation better?"

Then my headteacher saw it and he shouted at me in front of the whole year group and threatened to stop me from sitting the exams in "his centre".

Mind you, I'm an academically gifted student and I usually get A*s in my exams. They don't like me because I'm applying to different schools and they think I'm arrogant

Why was it so important for you to have the scraps of paper back if all they had was random scribbles and a bit of working on them?
Reply 3
Yor really should have known they would want that paper in as well if you did bits of working on it.
You shouldn't have persistently asked for the paper back, when someone says no you accept it and move on, not continuously ask. So yes it was rude...all working must be taken in wether it is to be marked or not. It's the rules.
It is his school, and if he feels you are being a nuisance and making the examiners job harder then I don't see why he shouldn't stop you-of course its annoying for you but that's life.
You won't get expelled(or most likely not), just behave in the exam. Couldn't you have asked to leave early when you finished?
Reply 5
Original post by AzureCeleste
You shouldn't have persistently asked for the paper back, when someone says no you accept it and move on, not continuously ask. So yes it was rude...all working must be taken in wether it is to be marked or not. It's the rules.
It is his school, and if he feels you are being a nuisance and making the examiners job harder then I don't see why he shouldn't stop you-of course its annoying for you but that's life.
You won't get expelled(or most likely not), just behave in the exam. Couldn't you have asked to leave early when you finished?

Most schools don't let you do that you have to stay until the end, which is odd because you can leave early during an exam so it seems backward.
you sound rather "up yourself". if you show respect to your teachers things will go better for you.
They do get a bit funny about stuff like that, not generally allowed to take ANY paper in or out with you so I can see their point...but as said, they don't grade it. You've been a bit upset because you thought no one else was going to see it and you've been put on the spot to hand it over...but if you hadn't of kept asking for it back it likely would never have came up, exam markers REALLY don't have the time or energy to care if you've wrote 'I'm cool' on some scrap paper, unless you've wrote 'I'm going to come back and kill you all' or something.

Being straight would have worked out better (and still could) Just tell the truth, 'I had time at the end and thought i was doodling on a bit of scrap, I was already tense from exams and was a bit embarrassed to find I had to hand it in with my exam.

The sarky follow up reply about flowers was a bit daft, as you WERE in the wrong and could maybe do with showing a bit of humility.
Reply 8
Original post by Bio 7
Yor really should have known they would want that paper in as well if you did bits of working on it.

There was nothing on it. I just wanted it back and they took that one yet ignored the other sheets of paper they gave me.
Also people in my school are quite rowdy and he is only threatening me because I CARE about GCSEs.
you sound like a bit of a tit here.

Remember that for most of us, to succeed in life you have to be both clever and able to work and deal with people.

There are so many parts of your story where clearly you could have entirely avoided the problem had you made a slightly different decision, so next time try and remove yourself from the situation mentally, and consider the end destination of each of your actions.

In this case a few pieces of scrap paper are not worth a conflict with your head teacher, even if logically there should be no reason why you cant take them.
If there was 'nothing on it' then it's a blank bit of paper, what's the problem? :wink:

Sorry but I doubt he's angry because you care about your GCSE's, I suspect it's because you've kicked up an immature stink in the exam room then made it worse with sarcasm, over a silly bit of paper you have no good reason to want or waste examiners time with. A large part of your mock tests and these rules is frankly to see if you're mature enough to sit an exam and not act up, adults don't sit them . If you care about your GCSEs take them a bit more seriously and don't push the buttons of the people you NEED to progress to ANY school. (I'm saying that as someone who pushed their schools buttons so far they appealed to the education authority to get rid of me, and did)
You deliberately left a sarcastic remark at the end of your statement (which was only necessary because you can't take "no" for an answer) and you're wondering why your headteacher shouted at you? Grow up
(edited 5 years ago)
You were rude and argumentative to the exam invigilator. You were then rude again in your statement and to the head. No one hates you cos you're doing well or leaving or anything else... teachers only dislike students who are *******s. You sound extremely arrogant and I'd suggest apologising and just trying to be a bit more pleasant and you'll have no more problems.
We were revising.

Honestly I think you do sound arrogant, rude and conceited.

You wont get expelled, but it would be reasonable to sanction you or have a meeting with your parents about your attitude..

You also sound immature, which you cant be blamed for, but I wouldnt have dreamed of acting the way you have, even when I was 11.
Rather immature, arrogant and rude.

'I'm gifted' and what? Many others are too! You aren't God's gift to Earth! Clearly not gifted if you didn't know the piece of paper will go forward.
There was nothing on it. I just wanted it back and they took that one yet ignored the other sheets of paper they gave me.
Also people in my school are quite rowdy and he is only threatening me because I CARE about GCSEs.

You should know you can't take anything outof the exam. Have you posted on TSR under another name; I recognise this 'style'?
clever but immature
Reply 17
Original post by Muttley79
You should know you can't take anything outof the exam. Have you posted on TSR under another name; I recognise this 'style'?

I get suspicious when a thread like this gets posted from someone who just joined on the same day.

Seems strange that someone who gets straight A*s and is 'academically gifted' can't figure out why sarcastically saying "next time I'll bring flowers" would result in the kind of reaction from their headteacher :holmes:
Original post by UWS
I get suspicious when a thread like this gets posted from someone who just joined on the same day.

Seems strange that someone who gets straight A*s and is 'academically gifted' can't figure out why sarcastically saying "next time I'll bring flowers" would result in the kind of reaction from their headteacher :holmes:

Yes, I think it is a banned poster as they mention 'The Great school' ie Westminster.
They have no right in demanding that scribbling paper because if you don't want to hand in a thing that has working on it it's your right they shouldn't care, it's like doing an exam ans leacing pages empty they can't force you to do anything.

Quick Reply