If people have souls when do they 'enter' the body?

Watch
TheHairDyeDiarys
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So, me and my boyfriend were having some pretty interesting conversations yesterday and it turned to souls.

We were thinking about this situation:
If humans have souls, at what stage of life does it enter your body?
Is it when you are conceived?
Is it at birth?
Does it develop inside you as you are growing?

And when does the soul leave the body?
At brain death?
What about people on light support machines? Have their souls left?

And if your soul is only present at birth does that mean all the still born baby's and late miscarried 'babys' don't have souls because they weren't truly born? Or does the act of being pushed out the womb act as 'birth' so therefore they do have souls? But they're not alive when it happens? So would they still have souls?

I think this is a pretty interesting topic and I'd like to hear what people's thoughts are.

And id also like to say that I don't mean any disrespect to people who are religious, have lost family members or who have had still borns with this topic it's just some light philosophy I did philosophy at college and found this topic pretty interesting and wondered what people's actual thoughts on the idea of souls are?
Axiomasher
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Science Facts: if you ride a bicycle as speed and suddenly turn a corner your soul can become temporarily detached from your being for a few seconds. Don't worry though, thanks to what is known as spirit GPS, your soul will always safely return.
demonic_karasu
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Another thing to consider is that if the “soul” enters the body at conception twins only have one soul shared between them as twins form after conception during the primitive streak phase. Just another thing to think about, I personally don’t believe in a souls so imo it never enters the body as it doesn’t exist cx
Kanairee
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Here's the thing, in order to actually make a proper arguement of this you'd need to define what you mean by a soul. So for the sake of arguement let's agree that a 'soul' is the transcendental culmination of all that makes a person an individual: something metaphysical and undetectable that combines both some kind of spiritual energy and consciousness. Whether or not it is possible for this to continue on after death is another matter entirely, but I believe really that most things that achieve a certain level of sentience carry on in some capacity, although not in the religious sense.

So when do we get our souls? I think that a certain amount of time after conception, as the brain and consciousness develops, human beings also develop what we might call a soul, something that is tied to the physical body but not physical in and of itself. This I think happens at different stages depending on the individual, it would be entirely subjective. However, I think this initial form of the 'soul' is very underdeveloped. It would arguably be in its purest form at this time, but because there is very little of the individual actually developed (they lack entirely empirical experience and are essentially in these early stages subject to the biological programming that establishes their basis of personality) thier soul would be in essence a 'blank slate' of sorts.

So, think late or miscarried babies do have souls absolutley, but because they never had the chance to develop as a person, thier soul is still in its barest form. As for when a soul leaves, that's tricky. I do think that a soul is incredibly reliant upon conscious or mental capacity in order to remain in the body: therefore, if someone is brain-dead, but thier heart is still working and thier body technically alive, I would argue that the soul is no longer present because everything that essentially makes that person a person has moved on, all that would be left is the shell. Where it goes is another matter entirely, I'm not religious but I have my own personal philosophies about life after death, but I was raised in a very religious environment so I have a good understanding of traditional Christian perspectives.

I think a soul is basically the culmination of your experiences, thoughts, dreams and everything that you experience through life. It's a really interesting topic. Just on the off-hand I wanted to leave my own question on the end of this:

Do you think that souls are re-used? We hear a lot of parents refer to thier children as 'Old Souls,' do you think it's possible that some souls are reborn into new individuals? Food for thought
username3832246
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Imo

Soul = Conscious

Whenever you have consciousness you have a soul
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (60)
40.82%
Take autumn exams (53)
36.05%
Look for a job (3)
2.04%
Consider an apprenticeship (4)
2.72%
Take a year out (19)
12.93%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (8)
5.44%

Watched Threads