The Student Room Group

King's College London vs University of Southampton (Computer Science BSc)

Hi guys!

I am an international student, and I have applied for a Computer Science BSc course in UK. I have received offers, and now I have to decide between Uni of Southampton - Computer Science BSc and King's College London - Computer Science BSc.

I am very confused, because basically I would choose London because of many reasons (location), which is King's. I have checked the "The complete university guide" and King's is situated on the 19th place for Computer Science Subject, while Uni of Southampton is ranked the 11th. I read that Southampton is a good uni for CS so I'd like to know if it's true..

I would choose London because of its variety of opportunities, internships and job offers. I also want to get a job while in college/university because I want to earn some money so that I could manage myself and from my point of view it would be easier to get a job in London than in Southampton. But London is very expensive!! Which uni is better for job prospect in the future?

Secondly, I really want my uni's course to be good and I'm interested to do after the BSC a master's information security/Cyber Security. I can't find information about King's College's Computer Science course on the internet and I am worried about this, I think it might be unpopular or not as good as I thought. If your are aware of this course at King's please give me some information regarding it.

Thank you very much!!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi, I'm an international too and I have exactly the same problem. Personally, I think London is a better place to live and CS at King's is better in the QS and Times Higher Education world rankings, but I've also seen a lot of positive comments about CS at Southampton. I'm very confused and I don't really know what to choose for my firm choice.
Original post by soczil
Hi, I'm an international too and I have exactly the same problem. Personally, I think London is a better place to live and CS at King's is better in the QS and Times Higher Education world rankings, but I've also seen a lot of positive comments about CS at Southampton. I'm very confused and I don't really know what to choose for my firm choice.

yes.. I'd choose Southampton only for its living costs...and as you can see on internet the department of CS is excellent...but KCL has recently moved its department at Bush House which means that it's doing investments for the future and another thing is that KCL is in London, so you can do some hackhatons with students from UCL and Imperial!! (...and a lot of opportunities come to you), but the living costs are so high for me...I don't know which is better..
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm in the same position now- where did you guys end up firming in the end? / how has it been if your at one of them now?
Reply 4
Original post by username3621078
yes.. I'd choose Southampton only for its living costs...and as you can see on internet the department of CS is excellent...but KCL has recently moved its department at Bush House which means that it's doing investments for the future and another thing is that KCL is in London, so you can do some hackhatons with students from UCL and Imperial!! (...and a lot of opportunities come to you), but the living costs are so high for me...I don't know which is better..

Hey mate, I'm looking for 2022 inntake. How it's been for you the decision of choosing Southampton over KCL?? Are the reasons legit, cuz I'm in the situation of confusion right now!!
Reply 5
Original post by Mariositide
I'm in the same position now- where did you guys end up firming in the end? / how has it been if your at one of them now?

How it's been for you the decision of choosing Southampton over KCL?? Are the reasons legit, cuz I'm in the situation of confusion right now!!

Quick Reply