Marxists and Post Revisionist historians- clash

Watch
AIUK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
can someone explain the clash in school of thought of these two groups i understand briefly that it was as to whether historical change is really due to social forces or rather due to specific individuals. any more background?

mucho thanks

x
davireland
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Marxist historians attribute historical change to a clash within social classes and they put considerable emphasis on economic causes. Ive read a few books by Marxist historians, namely Hobsbawn.

Post-Revisionist are more difficult to generalise, I think they like to attribute change to individuals and a combination of other causes. They look at things in the grand scheme of things. (im not really that sure though)
The Solitary Reaper
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Post revisionists often focus on the language, symbolism and 'currents of thought' within events.
AIUK
Rep:
?
anything else.....lol... thanks by the way big help!
davireland
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you tell us what period you are studying, we may be able to give you some marxist and post-revisionist interpretations on certain events. For example, I can think of quite a few for the periods I am studying.
AIUK
Rep:
?
(Original post by davireland)
If you tell us what period you are studying, we may be able to give you some marxist and post-revisionist interpretations on certain events. For example, I can think of quite a few for the periods I am studying.
The controll of the third reich up till end of ww2
decollonisation and the british empire.

thanks
davireland
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Marxist historians place a larger value on economics and class friction, e.g. a marxist interpretation of the rise of the nazis up to 1933, was that it was due primarily to the discontent of the working classes and the economic strains after the wall street crash of 1929.

a post-revisionist historian would associate the rise of the nazis with the intimidation of opposition parties and the resolute character of Hitler. Looking at the economic problems as an aid to the Nazis rather than a direct reason for their ascention.

Personally, I find it very difficult to define post-revisionist historical veiws because it is such a generalised term whilst marxist and traditionist views are easy to spot.
rachelcee
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
well, post-revisionists just revise previous interpretations (marxists/revisionists etc), don't they! Haha.
davireland
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
if only it was always that simple, i cant really define a post-revisionist historian
balal321
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
could someone Explain how their analysis of the law offers a critical account of efforts to control and
order past societies by revisionist historians around the 1970s. cant find too much information on the web

much appreciated x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (63)
15%
I'm not sure (14)
3.33%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (142)
33.81%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.43%
I'm not a current university student (195)
46.43%

Watched Threads