The Student Room Group

Level 7

Hi guys, how would you get a level 7 in maths and chemistry at IB. what extra things or readings should I be doing to get this???
HL or SL?
Basically just follow the syllabi and make sure you know every point on them. Then do lots and lots and lots of past papers under timed conditions (only making sure that you're not doing papers from a previous syllabus, if possible). Oh and ace the IAs - those are the only parts of your grade you can work on as much as you want:u:
Maths is a lot of work and sticking to it! I have this thing that although I teach myself under times conditions sometimes, I also allow myself unlimited time to do questions I missed on the timed practice. My #1 rule is that if you can't do a question you should stick with it for an hour before asking for help or looking at the answer. This is a long time, but it truly teaches you how to approach unfamiliar problems. You need to teach yourself to approach things correctly, and that's a hard skill. If you depend on the answers if you're stuck after 5 minutes you will never teach yourself the way to approach unfamiliar questions, which is the most important thing in the IB HL maths syllabus.

For chemistry, it's true understanding. I would suggest after you finish a learning outcome you go to a piece of paper or just to a mirror and thoroughly explain what, how, and why something occurs. For example you must seamlessly be able to explain why first ionisation energy increases down a group and why there are exceptions such as oxygen having a lower first ionisation energy than nitrogen. You should know why and how of every concept taught and not rely on memory. Alongside this, you must use the proper terminology when explaining it. If you miss certain words, such as 'electrostatic' when talking about ionic bonding, you lose the mark.

Finally, IAs are a gift or a curse depending on how much effort you put it. Honestly, give them all you got. Especially your first draft. You only get one draft so make it refined so your teacher has something to work with. Don't finish it the night before. Also, if your teacher gives practice IA tasks, do them right. Use all the practice you have.
Original post by Doremi963
HL or SL?
Basically just follow the syllabi and make sure you know every point on them. Then do lots and lots and lots of past papers under timed conditions (only making sure that you're not doing papers from a previous syllabus, if possible). Oh and ace the IAs - those are the only parts of your grade you can work on as much as you want:u:

both of them are HL. ok thanks, so doing well on IAs is super important will defy put more effort in them now :smile:
Original post by bigforyourboots
both of them are HL. ok thanks, so doing well on IAs is super important will defy put more effort in them now :smile:

I mean they're only about 20% of your grade, but yeah they're the only part you have complete control over :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending