The Student Room Logo
This thread is closed

Going to other colleges' bars, dinners etc?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
The_Lonely_Goatherd
It depends on the college and how strict their porters are. I've found that as long as you look like a student, the porters at Magdalen, New and Balliol don't seem to notice if you just walk past them. Worcester are quite suspicious of everyone, depending on which porter is on duty. St. Peter's is quite difficult to sneak into because you have to go inside the Lodge itself and face the scary porters! :eek: With Christ Church, you just flash your Bod card and you're in.

My best example of gatecrashing a college without permission from the porters is when a group of about 8-10 of us decided to take our post-Mods party to Balliol (despite the fact that none of us are at Balliol). We walked past the porters (in gowns, with giant balloons, etc.) unnoticed :biggrin:

I MAY have served you on my bar training night...
The Fat Porter at Peter's is great for letting complete strangers in while making jokes.
Good news re Magdalen dining.

Anyone know whether there is an official arrangement in place between Green and another College for reciprocal dining rights?

Thanks
According to wikipedia, St. Edmund's College is Green's sister college in Cambridge. I've no idea whether there is any reciprocal dining arrangement - how active the link is varies a lot between colleges.

edders' point relates to intra-Oxford partnerships though - St. Cross is a fairly small graduate college and it is quite common for them to have some sort of link to an undergraduate college (becomes important for sport, especially rowing) which might come with dining arrangements.

Green's main link is with Osler House, the clinical medical students' common room in the John Radcliffe.

The way to eat at another college is to have a friend there. To be honest, going to formal as a complete stranger to everyone there sounds like a nightmare anyway!
Reply 24
Huw Davies

Green's main link is with Osler House, the clinical medical students' common room in the John Radcliffe.

Although that may be somewhat under threat with the Green-Templeton merger... e.g. see large thread/minutes on OURCS website re. status of rowing crews if you have minutes of life to spare (!)

I am pleased my college porters exercise their 'inflated sense of self importance' - stopping outsiders is better for security & crowd controlling tourists makes for quicker movement between parts! :biggrin: What I don't get is students from other colleges who ignore the signs politely asking even Bod card holders to report at the lodge on arrival, just walk though & then whinge when they get stopped. :rolleyes:
Mayfly
I MAY have served you on my bar training night...

Lol, I didn't make it as far as the actual bar (my balloon was too big, so I had to go back outside :biggrin:) but if you served any half-drunk, sub-fusced people who clearly weren't Balliol students on 10th June, that was probs my friends. I apologise: I still have no idea why we gatecrashed your college. It's v nice though :smile:
Reply 26
Huw Davies
The Fat Porter at Peter's is great for letting complete strangers in while making jokes.

Any relation to the Fat Controller?

Latest

Latest