The Student Room Group

Driving test number plate test

Hello

I was applying for a license and was wondering about the number plate

I have pretty bad vision uncorrected. But corrected im 20/25 (just below 20/20) so i can see well with my glasses or contacts

I tried reading a plate from 20 metres which i can kind of do, i guess it will depend on the lighting and stuff but any further than 21metres i cannot.

I heard its never as far as 20 metres anyway at my test centre because the carpark is small apperently

I do meet the legal requirements to drive, (6/12 to drive, i am 6/7.5) but this number plate thing puts me off. I dont want to spend so much money to be turned away from the test.

What is your experience with this? Should i bother learning or not? Someone told me to memorise the plates at the test centre but i dont really want to do that tbh..

Responses appreciated thanks.
If you are driving with glasses or contact lenses that make your vision at or above the legal requirement, it's definitely worth it.

If you do not plan on driving with the appropriate eye sight, please stay off the road.
When walking down the street (if you have time) stop and read some number plates. You never know, it may help your eyes get used to looking at them from a fair distance.
Reply 3
Original post by Order 66
If you are driving with glasses or contact lenses that make your vision at or above the legal requirement, it's definitely worth it.

If you do not plan on driving with the appropriate eye sight, please stay off the road.

oh ofcourse, i cannot see sh%" without glasses or lenses. it just im borderline on the number plate test thing,i dont want to spend alot of money for me to be turned away, thats why i was wondering is the distance usually over 20 metres or under, because i know they guess it at first?
Original post by Zzasta
oh ofcourse, i cannot see sh%" without glasses or lenses. it just im borderline on the number plate test thing,i dont want to spend alot of money for me to be turned away, thats why i was wondering is the distance usually over 20 metres or under, because i know they guess it at first?

At first it's a rough guess, but if necessary they will get out the measuring tape and get the exact measurement for you.

I had very similar concerns to you and sought assurance from my optician that my eyesight would be fine.
Original post by Zzasta

-Guess at first
-Guess at second, but a different number plate
-Accurate measurement at third, must get this one right otherwise it is an instant fail.

I have poor eyesight and need glasses to drive, had them on for my test and the plate was easy to see at first guess. Don’t worry, I was worried about that part of the test too!
Reply 6
Original post by accountant-future
-Guess at first
-Guess at second, but a different number plate
-Accurate measurement at third, must get this one right otherwise it is an instant fail.

I have poor eyesight and need glasses to drive, had them on for my test and the plate was easy to see at first guess. Don’t worry, I was worried about that part of the test too!

thanks, but does the guess be over 20 metres or below?
Original post by Zzasta
thanks, but does the guess be over 20 metres or below?

It’s a rough estimate of the 20m determined by the examiner for the first and second attempt.
I don't know what the problem here is. Just wear your glasses?
Reply 9
Original post by nevershear
I don't know what the problem here is. Just wear your glasses?
i do, but even with them i can just about see it, dont really want to take any chances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending