Are my Highers considered 'academic'?

Watch this thread
gabriellax123
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm currently in s4 (fourth year) and I have chosen which highers I am going to take in 5th year. The highers I plan on doing are:

Higher French
Higher Spanish
Higher English
Higher Human Biology
Higher RMPS
Higher Psychology

I am going 6 highers in one year, as I will be taking higher psychology on the side. I am worried about a few things though. Currently I have been predicted all A's in my National 5 subjects, however, I don't take RMPS or Psychology at National 5 so I will be crashing two highers. I am worried that RMPS isn't considered 'academic' though? And also, I have dropped maths due to the fact that it takes up a lot of time for me because I'm not very good at maths naturally. Is this a mistake? Should I take higher maths in order to be more 'academic'? My goal is to study Psychology, Philosophy and Linguistics at Oxbridge so if anyone has any advice on what subjects to take, it would be appreciated.
maturepanic
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
If you're about what uni course you want to do and you know it doesn't have a higher maths requirement, then these subjects look pretty good!

I'd just be wary of not taking Higher Maths if there's any chance you might want to pursue a different course that could have a math requirement. You really reduce your possible uni options by not having it. When I was in high school everyone had to take it.
gabriellax123
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by maturepanic)
If you're about what uni course you want to do and you know it doesn't have a higher maths requirement, then these subjects look pretty good!

I'd just be wary of not taking Higher Maths if there's any chance you might want to pursue a different course that could have a math requirement. You really reduce your possible uni options by not having it. When I was in high school everyone had to take it.
The course that is my main goal at Oxford (Psychology, Philosophy and Linguistics) the requirements state: "For Psychology, it is highly recommended for candidates to have studied one or more science subjects (which can include Psychology) or Mathematics to A-level, Advanced Higher, Higher Level in the IB or any other equivalent. For Linguistics, it is helpful for candidates to have studied English Language, Mathematics, a science or any other language. We expect you to have taken and passed any practical component in your chosen science subjects." So, as I am taking both human biology and psychology I don't think I 'need' maths, but as you say, it will probably be beneficial when applying to other universities. My only concern is how much time I will have to spend on studying it, as with 5 other highers on the go, I just don't know if I could cope? I'm currently getting on average around 85% on prelims for maths at National 5, but I still just don't know if I could achieve an A at higher?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Sociology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (9)
21.95%
The paper was reasonable (19)
46.34%
Not feeling great about that exam... (8)
19.51%
It was TERRIBLE (5)
12.2%

Watched Threads