httpmpwll1765
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello all. I was curious if you had any tips on passing my English lit and Lang exam. I'm predicted a 4 (I'm currently in year 10) but want to be sure of a pass to get into college without any resits. I have recently ordered the revision guides for lit and Lang but I want to try and get some advice from previous GCSE students.

Thanks
Assembly
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by httpmpwll1765)
Hello all. I was curious if you had any tips on passing my English lit and Lang exam. I'm predicted a 4 (I'm currently in year 10) but want to be sure of a pass to get into college without any resits. I have recently ordered the revision guides for lit and Lang but I want to try and get some advice from previous GCSE students.

Thanks
You're in yr 10 so there isn't too much to worry about at the current moment, but you can put yourself in a good position. For the moment, you can just focus on understanding and learning the general plot for the texts your exam board has set for literature. For English language I would reccomenend learning language features and how they're used; colon, semi colon, hyperbole, anecdotes etc so you can identify them in a text and explain their significance - its also important to know them for section B (descriptive writing) as examiners like seeing a variety of different language and structural features in candidate writing. Practice describing things you find interesting in an exam style question, I remember I wouls describe video game locations in the format of Section B just to improve my descriptive writing while making revision less dull.

Additionally, for literature you could learn the key termiology for poetry: Metaphor, simile, endstopment, enjambment, cesura, juxtaposition, oxymoron etc. identifying language and structure techniques with correct terminology is awarded marks as it shows technical accuracy, knowing a wide variety puts you in a good stop as you always have something to talk about.

Don't worry too much about crazy revision now as you're still in year 10 - but learning key terminology early puts you in a good spot for both your literature and language gcses.

I took part in last years gcse's with the 9-1 scoring, and now study both english lit and lang at a level. The revision guides should tell you everything, but knowing what the examiner wants to see and tailoring your answer to the spec will get you a 4 or more.

Hope this helps!
olivia366
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am currently studying English Language at university, after doing English language and Literature at A-level, the best advice I can give to you for revision is to make sure you have a glossary of key terms made for each poem, and make sure you are able to spot these techniques being used within poetry which will help you when you have to analyse a piece you have not seen before. I'm not sure if you have a book which you have studied, but I would suggest making sure you make a quote bank of the most interesting quotes which have lots of analysis linked to them, and just keep going over them. For English language, my advice would be to make sure you are aware of key terms such metaphors, similes, triadic structure, personification etc so that you can easily identify them in texts which are from newspapers/websites/articles etc. Make sure you always identify a texts 'purpose' - what is it trying to achieve, its 'audience' - who is it aimed at etc, which will help you with your analysis on why the author has chosen to use the techniques, as they are always linked to a texts purpose and its audience! Good luck.
Nancyxttley
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
PAY ATTENTION. Honestly it will save you. I didnt pay attention until the start of year 11 and now im racing to finish my revision. If you need any help with poetry im planning a poetry revision page to help people out. It ill be on themes with my own personal revision tools on
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.39%
No (241)
33.61%

Watched Threads