The Student Room Group

Question about further maths

Would all universities for all courses accept Maths, Further Maths, and History as 3 separate A Levels? Which ones wouldn't? I'm asking as I heard that for some courses at some universities only accept Maths and Further Maths as one A Level which is why Further Maths is generally taken as a fourth A Level.

Scroll to see replies

Please, it would be best to find this out for tomorrow.
Original post by Goldfish4343
Please, it would be best to find this out for tomorrow.

Maths and FM count as two A-Levels.
Original post by RDKGames
Maths and FM count as two A-Levels.

For all universities and for all courses? I thought there was something about them being too similar.
For all universities and for all courses? I thought there was something about them being too similar.

Can't say all unis and all courses, but usually they're viewed as separate.
Can't say all unis and all courses, but usually they're viewed as separate.

Do you know anyone else that will be able to verify what you have said?

You can literally go on any uni websites and see what their entry requirements are. They will tell you there if they don't accept certain A level combinations, but for moooooost of the courses, maths and further maths are 2 seperate A levels.

(the only uni I can think of that doesn't like them together is LSE and I know that for medicine some don't count them as seperate, but I'm pretty sure that's it)

@Doonesbury

I have never heard of any uni counting them as a single A-Level so I'm not sure where you heard it...
Original post by SlashaRussia
You can literally go on any uni websites and see what their entry requirements are. They will tell you there if they don't accept certain A level combinations, but for moooooost of the courses, maths and further maths are 2 seperate A levels.

(the only uni I can think of that doesn't like them together is LSE and I know that for medicine some don't count them as seperate, but I'm pretty sure that's it)

Thank you. I know you can check the websites but I thought it would be easier just to ask.
Reply 9
They would, but I'm curious as to why take Maths, FM and then History. Most science courses (and maths ones, I think) ask for the third to be a science.
Original post by Heirio
They would, but I'm curious as to why take Maths, FM and then History. Most science courses (and maths ones, I think) ask for the third to be a science.

I don't think that's true? When I was looking at physics courses, they only wanted physics and maths, I'm sure for most chemistry courses its again only chemistry and maths they're looking for? And for engineering it's again just physics and maths. (can't say for maths courses since I haven't looked at those) Not saying that there aren't unis who want 3 sciences, but it definitely isn't "most science courses"
Thank you. I know you can check the websites but I thought it would be easier just to ask.

Fair enough :smile: It just might be easier as well knowing what courses you're looking at, and what unis, since there are just so many different courses and unis everywhere.
Original post by Heirio

It's not for me, it's for a friend. He is wanting to do either history or maths at university.
As a medicine applicant, my unis said only one of Maths/Further Maths would count towards the offer, as they are too similar. But I think for most other courses its fine.
Reply 14
Would all universities for all courses accept Maths, Further Maths, and History as 3 separate A Levels? Which ones wouldn't? I'm asking as I heard that for some courses at some universities only accept Maths and Further Maths as one A Level which is why Further Maths is generally taken as a fourth A Level.

@Doonesbury

I have never heard of any uni counting them as a single A-Level so I'm not sure where you heard it...

Only LSE asks that FM should be a 4th A-level. And only if you are applying for Economics. Also FM isn't ideal for Medicine.

They are 2 separate A-levels in every other scenario.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by SlashaRussia
I don't think that's true? When I was looking at physics courses, they only wanted physics and maths, I'm sure for most chemistry courses its again only chemistry and maths they're looking for? And for engineering it's again just physics and maths. (can't say for maths courses since I haven't looked at those) Not saying that there aren't unis who want 3 sciences, but it definitely isn't "most science courses"

Using Uni of Leeds as a reference, you are correct.
I now also remember that a friend is applying to a maths course without any science A levels.

My mistake.
Original post by Heirio
Using Uni of Leeds as a reference, you are correct.
I now also remember that a friend is applying to a maths course without any science A levels.

My mistake.

Haha its a very reasonable mistake to make though :smile: , before I applied for uni I thought that everywhere would also look for 3 sciences or something :biggrin:, but I guess that they teach you all the revelent parts you missed in your first year instead of making you waste 2 years learning stuff that you'll forget for your degree.
It depends on which courses you with to apply for and what city you live in, it is defiantly possible if your doing something related to maths, e.g if you want to me a maths teacher then you can.

Tell me which courses you want to apply for and what city your in and I'll find out.
Reply 18
Original post by Walker16
It depends on which courses you with to apply for and what city you live in, it is defiantly possible if your doing something related to maths, e.g if you want to me a maths teacher then you can.

Tell me which courses you want to apply for and what city your in and I'll find out.

The acceptability of Further Maths depends on the city you live in?????

:eek:
Original post by Doonesbury
The acceptability of Further Maths depends on the city you live in?????

:eek:

It doesnt but I mean so I can search the universities in his/her country

Quick Reply

Latest