The Student Room Group

After panic attack I'm still experiencing lack of empathy/emotions/feelings

Ok so ever since my panic attack from weed that happened last month February 14th I'm still experiencing lack of Feelings/emotions. I feel like nothing matters to me I don't really find anything funny how i used to so I rarely laugh, I can't cry but tears come out if I force myself, I can't find anything that will bother me so I can't feel anger happiness sadness,nervousness, or fear. Can someone please give me some advice I'm only 16 and I wanna know will this pass in time??
What happened during the panic attack?
Tbh I really don't remember. All I know was my heart start racing I was very paranoid and I thought I was hearing voices and people yelling and screaming my whole body was jittery and shakey and I was feeling warm and cool at the same time
Moved to Mental Health
An anxiety attack doesn't rewire your brain or make you any less emotive than you were before. Panic attacks etc are merely the release of adrenaline, fast heart beat and thus rapid thoughts. They may seem scary and likely to make you think that it has changed you somewhat, but this doesn't happen. What you'll be doing is monitoring when you should and shouldn't laugh and using it as a 'truth test' to untruthfully fuel the thought that you've changed
See your GP
Original post by Antwontheloc
Tbh I really don't remember. All I know was my heart start racing I was very paranoid and I thought I was hearing voices and people yelling and screaming my whole body was jittery and shakey and I was feeling warm and cool at the same time

I would advise you to stay off the weed, cannabis has been associated with drug induced psychosis and schizophrenia in susceptible people.
Original post by Antwontheloc
Ok so ever since my panic attack from weed that happened last month February 14th I'm still experiencing lack of Feelings/emotions. I feel like nothing matters to me I don't really find anything funny how i used to so I rarely laugh, I can't cry but tears come out if I force myself, I can't find anything that will bother me so I can't feel anger happiness sadness,nervousness, or fear. Can someone please give me some advice I'm only 16 and I wanna know will this pass in time??

Hey,

This could be a form of dissociation. I've struggled with anxiety and panic attacks and after one particularly bad panic attack I became extremely dissociated for a while - it is a common reaction in people with anxiety so it is possible it's linked to your panic attack. Dissociation is a feeling of distance from yourself and the outside world, as if you're living in a dream-like state, nothing really seems real, and you're very much in your head. Although I've got better since my really bad episode, I do still often experience dissociation to a degree. There are techniques to combat it though.

Cannabis is known to cause dissociation as well as other mental health difficulties that someone else mentioned above, so if you feel susceptible to this then I would advise you to stop smoking it or at least take a break.

You could look up techniques online for dissociation if you feel you might be experiencing this. Mindfulness practice can be good, but there are some simple day to day things that can help too. If you feel these aren't helping, go and see a doctor. Feeling like this sucks, I know, but there will be ways to get better if you reach out.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
An anxiety attack doesn't rewire your brain or make you any less emotive than you were before. Panic attacks etc are merely the release of adrenaline, fast heart beat and thus rapid thoughts. They may seem scary and likely to make you think that it has changed you somewhat, but this doesn't happen. What you'll be doing is monitoring when you should and shouldn't laugh and using it as a 'truth test' to untruthfully fuel the thought that you've changed

A panic attack might not rewire someone's brain, but weed can...

Quick Reply

Latest