The Student Room Group

Have I decided to turn it around at the wrong time?

Well, to start off, I messed up Y10 & Y11 and just hated school. A combined lack of interest in my subjects and arrogance on my part caused me to get sub-par results with 2A's and mainly C's. I didn't manage to get all my preferred subjects and ended up taking Maths, Psychology and Biology (I was gunning for Physics, Chemistry, Bio and Maths).

After a few months I fell in love with Maths (Despite thoroughly hating it during GCSE's) and Psychology and I'm thinking of applying to study one of those two courses in Uni, which bring me to my problem. I'm predicted AAC (Screwed up my Biology mock) and I'm studying for STEP and MAT but I'm unsure if due to my idiocy in GCSE, I will even make it near a Top 20 Uni in my chosen fields.

Is it not too late? or should I set my sights lower?
Noo definitely not, you may have to apply for a few lower universities, but if you believe you can get the grades for a top 20 uni, then you can get in through adjustment (clearing except with higher grades) or just apply again after you get your a level results for the following year
Reply 2
Original post by kojoterrile
Noo definitely not, you may have to apply for a few lower universities, but if you believe you can get the grades for a top 20 uni, then you can get in through adjustment (clearing except with higher grades) or just apply again after you get your a level results for the following year

Thanks for the advice! But I am thinking of taking Further Maths next year (by studying for STEP I am self-teaching myself FP1 already). Would that help my case? Sorry if the answer is a obvious I'm very confused when it comes to applying to uni's
Original post by HowAmIHere?
Thanks for the advice! But I am thinking of taking Further Maths next year (by studying for STEP I am self-teaching myself FP1 already). Would that help my case? Sorry if the answer is a obvious I'm very confused when it comes to applying to uni's

Ohh I see, are you doing any exams in year 12?
Reply 4
Original post by kojoterrile
Ohh I see, are you doing any exams in year 12?

Yeah, For Maths I'm doing; C1,C2,S1,M1. Psychology Unit 1 and 2. Biology Unit 1 and 2.
Original post by HowAmIHere?
Yeah, For Maths I'm doing; C1,C2,S1,M1. Psychology Unit 1 and 2. Biology Unit 1 and 2.

If you can show in your AS grades what you are capable of you will be fine!

Quick Reply

Latest