The Student Room Group

A Level History Coursework - Tudor Question

In a bit of a predicament. Written well over the 3000 words limit already and have about 5 more rebellions to write about.
I also need to include quotes from historians, which is hard when there are no PDF files online of the books written by them, and I don't fancy spending £30 and up on a book on Amazon that I'm only going to use for a few quotes. The nearest library is miles away and neither I nor any of my family can currently drive. The deadline is the end of next week. I need quotes from G.R Elton amongst various other historians. Very stuck.

My question is "The Pilgrimage of Grace was the most threatening rebellion or plot to Tudor government in the years 1525 to 1605. Assess the validity of this view."
Original post by NervousIsotope
In a bit of a predicament. Written well over the 3000 words limit already and have about 5 more rebellions to write about.
I also need to include quotes from historians, which is hard when there are no PDF files online of the books written by them, and I don't fancy spending £30 and up on a book on Amazon that I'm only going to use for a few quotes. The nearest library is miles away and neither I nor any of my family can currently drive. The deadline is the end of next week. I need quotes from G.R Elton amongst various other historians. Very stuck.

My question is "The Pilgrimage of Grace was the most threatening rebellion or plot to Tudor government in the years 1525 to 1605. Assess the validity of this view."

Your essay is out of control. This is why you need a plan and know roughly how much to write for each section.

Your teacher might accept going over by 5-10%, but could simply ignore the rest.

Plan iit out in paragraphs and write to target. You are going to need some disciplined editing..

Face reality in that the deadline is coming and you will need to get any essay down to a reasonable size whether you have the quotes or not.
You should have gotten any quotes needed by doing the research beforehand. and could have gotten the books by ordering from the library.

You are going to have to make a decision chasing a few quotes, v finishing your essay and sorting out being hopelessly over the limit.

I know which i would choose.
Hi,

given that you are well over the word limit you should have some historians who disagree with each other. Furthermore, considering that you are over the word count,is it really worth doing the other five rebellions as well. (If you feel like you have to do those, by all means do them. You are allowed to go over the word limit as long as you don't write a narrative)

What exam board do you do?
I've managed to source out some quotes online now, and am currently looking at just over the 3,500 word limit.
I've still got 5 rebellions at least to cover, and I HAVE to cover them in order to cover the full scope of the time period. I think I'd lose more marks by not covering them than I would if I covered them badly. I've stripped all my other paragraphs down to bare sentences, to the point they lack intellectual words and sound bland. I've literally washed the life out of them.
So, in short, I need to somehow fit all the other rebellions without going over the word limit (Teacher said that if one student goes over the limit visibly then they will scrutinise and mark down ALL the other essays in the class - ridiculous right?)
Might sound doable but I need to include a contemporary source and two historian's viewpoints fully analysed for EACH rebellion.
This is beginning to sound even more impossible by the minute. I think it's a joke that the word limit is so low. How you're meant to cover 85 years (bearing in mind that I have to include every rebellion in that period to consider the "scope") historiography, historian's viewpoints, contemporary sources and a conclusion is beyond me. I'm considering adding footnotes (Which won't be included in the word count) for background information and narrative, maybe even historiography - but I need to be mindful as anything in the footnote that adds argument they will penalise me for.
I've managed to source out some quotes online now, and am currently looking at just over the 3,500 word limit.
I've still got 5 rebellions at least to cover, and I HAVE to cover them in order to cover the full scope of the time period. I think I'd lose more marks by not covering them than I would if I covered them badly. I've stripped all my other paragraphs down to bare sentences, to the point they lack intellectual words and sound bland. I've literally washed the life out of them.
So, in short, I need to somehow fit all the other rebellions without going over the word limit (Teacher said that if one student goes over the limit visibly then they will scrutinise and mark down ALL the other essays in the class - ridiculous right?)
Might sound doable but I need to include a contemporary source and two historian's viewpoints fully analysed for EACH rebellion.
This is beginning to sound even more impossible by the minute. I think it's a joke that the word limit is so low. How you're meant to cover 85 years (bearing in mind that I have to include every rebellion in that period to consider the "scope":wink: historiography, historian's viewpoints, contemporary sources and a conclusion is beyond me. I'm considering adding footnotes (Which won't be included in the word count) for background information and narrative, maybe even historiography - but I need to be mindful as anything in the footnote that adds argument they will penalise me for.

Unfortunately you are lacking academic discipline and cant see the wood for the trees.

You are trying to fit a pint into a half pint pot.

At university they would simply ignore any words beyond their stated limit.

Your essay is too ambitious and too in depth . It is inappropriate for the task set.. You have gotten yourself int this situation by poor planning. Your other classmates have managed it, so that should get you thinking. Sounds like you have too much detail and just trying to cover too much.

A 3,500 word essay I would have as
150 word intro
500 words on description, facts and methodology.
2100 words on analysis.- maybe 6-10 paragraphs.- some of the later rebellions or less important ones could be covered
in 100-200 words.
500 words on evaluation and discussion.
250 words on conclusion.

You arent facing up to the limitations. Its possible to get A* in 3500 words. Just write appropriately to the limits being set.
(edited 5 years ago)
Anyone interested, here's the finished thing.

Spoiler

what grade did you get for the course work?
Wow, this thread takes me back. I got a C in the coursework, and must have got an A in the exams because I finished with a strong B.Looking back I totally chose the wrong subject, there was no possible way I could have covered all those rebellions properly. I chose it because it was my favourite topic, but I'd have been better off covering something like inflation or fashion in order to stay within their ridiculous 3.5k word limit. I feel righteous in leaving history behind me completely (ironic) after sixth form. And to that commenter that said university would simply ignore any words after 3.5k, I do not believe university boards would set a word count so ridiculously low, and not only that, I feel they would be more willing to read over the word count than an A Level exam board, it's a bit more prestigious don't you think?

Quick Reply

Latest