The Student Room Group

Can I live in a student hall of I study part-time?

First of all I am from Austria and will move to England to do my masters here. (preferably in London)

I always wanted to live in a Student hall (if it's one directly from the University or a private one I don't mind). Now I just realised that most halls (all the ones I wrote already) don't take part-time students in because they have to pay council tax.
Are there really no halls that take part-time students? Or does anyone have experience with paying council tax, while staying in a Student hall?

How much would the council tax be approximately? And is there a way I wont need to pay it?

I am thankful for any help :smile:
Original post by Lisa_2412
First of all I am from Austria and will move to England to do my masters here. (preferably in London)

I always wanted to live in a Student hall (if it's one directly from the University or a private one I don't mind). Now I just realised that most halls (all the ones I wrote already) don't take part-time students in because they have to pay council tax.
Are there really no halls that take part-time students? Or does anyone have experience with paying council tax, while staying in a Student hall?

How much would the council tax be approximately? And is there a way I wont need to pay it?

I am thankful for any help :smile:

There's no way round council tax as all you could get is single occupant discount (I think as a EU resident you probably can't get council tax benefits) and it can cost 1-2k sometimes more, it depends how much the property is worth. Renting a room privately is likely to be cheaper in many cities anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending