FCO Graduate Intern Scheme 2018 Watch

toblerone325
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hi all,

Didn't see a thread for this and was wondering whether anyone else here was applying this year? It honestly feels so low-key considering what it actually offers. There are 90 posts on offer this year, more than any other year, yet it feels like less and less people apply each employment cycle.

Submitted my application for this yesterday. Felt very nervous sending it off because I have never been sure what they look for in the competency statements. I hope this thread can serve as a place for people to discuss their applications, interviews and results, etc.

Hope to hear from some of you!
yogiyaz
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hi, Im currently finishing my application (procrastinating). I'm the same, I've never done very well with Civil Service competencies so, really not sure what I can write! We will see how it goes. Best of luck!
CloudMan
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by toblerone325)
Hi all,

Didn't see a thread for this and was wondering whether anyone else here was applying this year? It honestly feels so low-key considering what it actually offers. There are 90 posts on offer this year, more than any other year, yet it feels like less and less people apply each employment cycle.

Submitted my application for this yesterday. Felt very nervous sending it off because I have never been sure what they look for in the competency statements. I hope this thread can serve as a place for people to discuss their applications, interviews and results, etc.

I feel like the problem with it is the low salary. Graduates can earn 10k more in a grad level role in the Civil Service.
Al45kan
Badges: 1
Report 11 months ago
Hi, this opportunity is a very good foundation for getting into the FCO. However, you are at the lowest level in the Civil Service hierarchy at AA. Not sure if many graduates can afford to live in London on that wage either!

Probably be strength based interviews – make sure to show enthusiasm for the role and highlight your capabilities for the role.
toblerone325
Rep:
?
(Original post by CloudMan)
I feel like the problem with it is the low salary. Graduates can earn 10k more in a grad level role in the Civil Service.
For me it was the access/education it offers to the Diplomatic Stream that was most enticing. I don't mind lesser pay if there is an emphasis on educational progression within the role.

Deadline was today. Good luck to all who applied
RuminatingFar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hi all,

Hi
Good luck with your application! I completed mine earlier today and I already feel the nerves kicking in. Its difficult to gauge how effectively you've answered the competency questions. But we'll find out soon enough aha.

I was wondering which source you used to find out the number of intern posts on offer for this year? 90 vacancies is a significantly larger number than I was expecting. Also, has anyone heard any feedback from previous FCO graduate interns on what their experience was like? I'm curious how much exposure they got considering its entry level placement.
username3864406
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hi!

I submitted my application last week but I don't think we'll hear back for at least a few weeks judging by previous years. I found this from 2014 and thought you might find it useful - it's a freedom of information request about the process. https://www.gov.uk/government/public...aduate-interns

I defo thought it was 90 as well but I can't remember where I got that information, it isn't in the information pack because I just had a quick check there.

Good luck everyone!
apt9
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by P0PPYMY3RS)
Hi!

I submitted my application last week but I don't think we'll hear back for at least a few weeks judging by previous years. I found this from 2014 and thought you might find it useful - it's a freedom of information request about the process. https://www.gov.uk/government/public...aduate-interns

I defo thought it was 90 as well but I can't remember where I got that information, it isn't in the information pack because I just had a quick check there.

Good luck everyone!
It said 90 on the Civil Service Jobs listing
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
toblerone325
Rep:
?
Hi!

Good luck everyone!
Thanks for that! Really interesting - could mean there are 180 interviewees this year. I spent a good 2 weeks focussing almost exclusively on my competency answers, so fingers crossed that the sift stage is more forgiving

Good luck - last year it wasn't until early May that people found out the results of their applications! So we could be waiting a while...
abzesir
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I have a friend that’s currently doing the internship, she said that she normally does with sorting out FCO events. Which sounds a bit boring but she enjoys it as she meets elite officials and be able to see how personality politics acc play a part in the government. They all work in different areas, she just got a brown envelope on her desk and described her role. She didn’t get to chose what area.

Good luck to us all. We should create a Facebook group when everyone gets a place.
username3864406
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Thanks for that! Really interesting - could mean there are 180 interviewees this year. I spent a good 2 weeks focussing almost exclusively on my competency answers, so fingers crossed that the sift stage is more forgiving

Good luck - last year it wasn't until early May that people found out the results of their applications! So we could be waiting a while...
I was so surprised they only interview like 5% of candidates, I'll consider it an achievement if I even make it that far!

The candidate pack says interviews are from 30th April so I presume we will hear a week (ish) beforehand, fingers crossed anyway!!
RuminatingFar
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I was so surprised they only interview like 5% of candidates, I'll consider it an achievement if I even make it that far!

The candidate pack says interviews are from 30th April so I presume we will hear a week (ish) beforehand, fingers crossed anyway!!
I got in touch with the FCO Grad Recruitment team via Capita the day before last regarding the typical turnover period for the FCO Graduate Internship and they got back to me last night saying this:

Dear "RuminatingFar",

We have been informed that you are enquiring as to the time frame for the FCO Graduate Internship role. The role closed at midnight last night, applications will now be sifted up until the 17th April. Once this has taken place candidates will be notified of the outcome of their application.

Regards
FCO Recruitment Team

Not long to wait!
pg261106910
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hi all, first of all I am glad this thread was created for us to discuss and support each other. I applied for the internship I really don't know what to expect. If you dont mind me asking what you all wrote for the supporting statements? good luck to all of you.
toblerone325
Rep:
?
I just tried to answer the questions bringing in as many of the skills and personal abilities (teamwork etc) they ask for and also trying to bring in my relevant experiences (my degrees, work experience etc). It's quite tricky to know if I've done it ok but to be honest I think most people applying for the role will be good at the job so it makes it hard for the HR team. I don't know what they're looking for so I don't know if what I've written is good or not.
I did similar, but focused almost entirely on the competency framework and not as closely to the person specification as I would have liked, actually. I am hoping they take into account the entire application and not just the competency supporting statements.

My assumption for how they deal with such a large volume of applications would be that they 'mark' the applications like exam papers against a marking scheme. Each application is then 'scored' and the top 5%, or however many they want to interview, will go through. So very competitive! But also means that a lot of highly skilled people might 'fall through the net' during the sift stage.

Thanks for the clarification, RuminatingFar! Good that we could know in less than 3 weeks.
bluebell06
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Al45kan)
Hi, this opportunity is a very good foundation for getting into the FCO. However, you are at the lowest level in the Civil Service hierarchy at AA. Not sure if many graduates can afford to live in London on that wage either!

Probably be strength based interviews – make sure to show enthusiasm for the role and highlight your capabilities for the role.
Hi, just wondering how do you know its at AA level?
pg261106910
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I just tried to answer the questions bringing in as many of the skills and personal abilities (teamwork etc) they ask for and also trying to bring in my relevant experiences (my degrees, work experience etc). It's quite tricky to know if I've done it ok but to be honest I think most people applying for the role will be good at the job so it makes it hard for the HR team. I don't know what they're looking for so I don't know if what I've written is good or not.
I didn't use any experience related to my time in uni. I dont really have experience working at government sectors, I currently work at a hotel so I try to write as much as I can about the experience and skills based on that
allington96
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I have also applied for the internship, does anyone know if you are able to view your application on the FCO website at all after it has been submitted?
Rae-Shae
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Yes, you can view the summary of your application if you log back onto the FCO jobs portal.Hope this helps.
abzesir
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Has anyone received any updates ?
samse96
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
None so far! I don't think we'll be hearing anything until 17th April onward.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise