The Student Room Group

Pls help

What do you think is the best way to prepare for tests/exams? Or what do is something you do that really helps you??

I have a few major tests next week and mocks next months, I feel like I don't even know anything and I'm almost completely clueless on what I should do or how I should prepare :afraid:
Reply 1
It is different for everyone and it depends on what subjects you are doing. Creating revision materials such as flash-cards, colourful notes or PowerPoints will help the information stick in your brain. Especially reading info through just before you go to sleep will help your brain process points more (this is how Audrey Hepburn learnt her lines) If it is a text-based subject (eg. English Lit, Media) go through the texts (read the books, go through the annotations, watch the films etc). If it is fact-based (eg. Sciences, Maths) then it may be helpful to go through past papers! They will help you get used to the format of exams. Practice questions under timed conditions will help you test your knowledge and the effectiveness of your revision techniques. Also, if you work well with timetables maybe create a revision timetable! Focus on one thing at a time and avoid going through things you already know (it sounds obvious but it’s a very common mistake). Good luck with your exams :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply :smile:
Chem (unit 2) and Maths (c12) for the record. There's A LOT of content! I'm revising chem right now but idk how to prioritise. I keep switching between topics which just adds to the stress. My revision is very veryy unfocused bc Idk how to make a revision time table bc Idk how to prioritise feel me? You know there's hard work and there's smart work, what I'm doing is just ****ing stupid. Also sorry for rambling. I'm just so frustrated and stressed :frown:
Reply 3
I understand the feeling of having subjects that all require information and barely anyhting comes up. it is annoying and very stressful. What i find is best, is to get a piece of paper, and write down every topic you are doing. Then under each topic have subheadings for each key component in that topic. For chemistry that is. This should give you a holistic perspective of your subject. From here number them from weakest to strongest for you, and create summary pages on A4 for that topic. With the exam stress you have, you should be able to bust through em all.

For maths, past papers past papers past papers. And use different colour pens for each part of a question. So step 1 in a given question in red then step 2 of that question in green. This way you can visually see how your answer is spread. Try stick to a colour scheme so you know how many colours are required for each question. Also create a list of all topics and number in order of strength.

As for a timetable, start each day at like 8/9, and end it at like 9/10. With food for an hour in between. Split your day into hourly sessions and have an hour for a section. Plan your revision so that it ends at 7/8. This allows an hour for any unseen eventualities or if you miscalculate or think you need more time on a topic.

Hope this helps

P.S. stress ball, tea/coffee, cuddly bear, hugs, and allow 30mins for the crying in your plan :wink:
Reply 4
Wowww you made it look so easy, my heart is smiling a little :h: I think that's a sensible way to deal with chem and as for maths, I don't like color schemes but apart from that I'll try my best to do what you said. Thank you so soo much, u absolute gem! :biggrin:💜

Quick Reply