Turn on thread page Beta

How to tell friends you dont/cant go on holiday with them? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So, in February this year, we had planned to go to Dublin for the weekend, but I had to cancel because I couldnt afford it. Now they are planning on going to Zante, originally in September for 4 nights which was fine with me. But now for some reason the plans are Zante in July for 7 nights. I know I cant afford to go in July as I have things to pay in June, also I cant afford 7 nights, plus I dont really want to go for 7 nights as I feel that's way too long.
    How do I tell them without them thinking I never want to go anywhere with them? Also just a sidenote, I do go on nights out with them, its not as if I never do anything with them, it's just going away is the problem as right now I cant afford it like I said.

Also I know they won't "hate" me for not going, I just dont want this whole "cant afford it" thing to sound like an excuse.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by reddragon10)
    So, in February this year, we had planned to go to Dublin for the weekend, but I had to cancel because I couldnt afford it. Now they are planning on going to Zante, originally in September for 4 nights which was fine with me. But now for some reason the plans are Zante in July for 7 nights. I know I cant afford to go in July as I have things to pay in June, also I cant afford 7 nights, plus I dont really want to go for 7 nights as I feel that's way too long.
    How do I tell them without them thinking I never want to go anywhere with them? Also just a sidenote, I do go on nights out with them, its not as if I never do anything with them, it's just going away is the problem as right now I cant afford it like I said.

Also I know they won't "hate" me for not going, I just dont want this whole "cant afford it" thing to sound like an excuse.
    If they're true friends, they'll understand that "can't afford it" isn't you making excuses. If they are true friends, they will understand.

I found myself in a similar situation a few years. I was invited to go away with a friend and some of his friends. I explained that I didn't know if I could go because of my health; so if I did go, I'd have to book flights now (to ensure that I did get flights) and couldn't make a decision until quite late. Because he is a true friend, he did believe me and knew I wasn't just saying I was ill to get out of going.

ReputationRep:

its not an excuse if its true?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Just tell the truth? They can’t blame you for not having enough money, and if they do they’re sh*te friends.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers

Explain to them what you've explained here. September for 4 nights is fine, July for 7 is too expensive
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Just tell them you were able to go in September for a shorter time, but you don't have the money to go in July for longer.

ReputationRep:

Tell them you can't afford to because it's in July and you have XYZ to pay for in June. If you explain why, it won't sound like an excuse. If you really want to go, just ask them if they can push it back to September. Tell them it'll be way cheaper and then you can go.

ReputationRep:
    Just be honest. Tell them you could afford the September trip but not June and it's OK if they want to go without you in June but you just can't afford it.

ReputationRep:
    Be honest. If they’re decent friends they will understand.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I think the best thing to do would be to tell them straight up that you can't afford it. If you don't tell them soon enough they'll get their hopes up. The sooner you tell them, the sooner you can come to an agreement to shortern the stay, or go elsewhere. If you leave it too late it might be your only option. Honesty is key here when it comes to planning things, and by telling them exactly what you've put here it will only help to make sure that the holiday is good for you, and good for them.

Thanks

ReputationRep:

Thanks everyone for the advice, I basically told them I couldn't afford it and they understood Again, thanks!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.