Nelson&Murdock
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Got results from scholarship back. Unfortunately nothing was awarded. Really not what I was expecting. I have achieved a first and have a lot of experience. I thought the interview went well and would at least be awarded something. Really doubting whether I can do this at all. Not sure what more they want from you. Really devastated and I’m not sure what to do now and whether this is the right career. What if they could tell that I wasn’t a good advocate? Am I not likely to get a pupilage now without a scholarship?
Greatleysteg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nelson&Murdock)
Got results from scholarship back. Unfortunately nothing was awarded. Really not what I was expecting. I have achieved a first and have a lot of experience. I thought the interview went well and would at least be awarded something. Really doubting whether I can do this at all. Not sure what more they want from you. Really devastated and I’m not sure what to do now and whether this is the right career. What if they could tell that I wasn’t a good advocate? Am I not likely to get a pupilage now without a scholarship?
Hi! I'm sorry to hear that you were unsuccessful in your scholarship application. May I ask which Inn you applied to? What were you asked by the panel and what did you answer?

I myself understand what it's like not to be able to complete the BPTC without the financial support of a scholarship. It's a tough situation to be in and you are understandably disappointed with the result; however, if you managed to get that far, you should already know that it's a career in which you're likely to experience a lot of setbacks and not let the panel's decision put you off. If you want to pursue a career at the Bar, you should continue to do so – get more experience, polish your CV, prepare your answers again and keep working to prove the panel wrong and show them next time around. To give up now, at this stage, would only prove the panel right.

Were you in a position to proceed with the Bar course without the scholarship, either because you can fund it by other means or you do it part-time and work to support yourself (in which case, you can still apply for a full scholarship next cycle), the fact that you didn't get a scholarship will not be a bar to obtaining pupillage. I know several people who did so without scholarships, some of whom didn't even apply for one as were confused about the grounds on which awards are made and didn't think they would qualify in terms of financial need.
Greatleysteg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nelson&Murdock)
Hi! I'm sorry to hear that you were unsuccessful in your scholarship application. May I ask which Inn you applied to? What were you asked by the panel and what did you answer?

I myself understand what it's like not to be able to complete the BPTC without the financial support of a scholarship. It's a tough situation to be in and you are understandably disappointed with the result; however, if you managed to get that far, you should already know that it's a career in which you're likely to experience a lot of setbacks and not let the panel's decision put you off. If you want to pursue a career at the Bar, you should continue to do so – get more experience, polish your CV, prepare your answers again and keep working to prove the panel wrong and show them next time around. What experience do you have exactly? Think how you can do something else to improve your profile and make yourself stand out, and make sure you know all your motivations. To give up now, at this stage, would only prove the panel right.

Were you in a position to proceed with the Bar course without the scholarship, either because you can fund it by other means or you do it part-time and work to support yourself (in which case, you can still apply for a full scholarship next cycle), the fact that you didn't get a scholarship will not be a bar to obtaining pupillage. I know several people who did so without scholarships, some of whom didn't even apply for one as were confused about the grounds on which awards are made and didn't think they would qualify in terms of financial need.
Nelson&Murdock
Rep:
?
(Original post by Greatleysteg)

I myself understand what it's like not to be able to complete the BPTC without the financial support of a scholarship. It's a tough situation to be in and you are understandably disappointed with the result; however, if you managed to get that far, you should already know that it's a career in which you're likely to experience a lot of setbacks and not let the panel's decision put you off. If you want to pursue a career at the Bar, you should continue to do so – get more experience, polish your CV, prepare your answers again and keep working to prove the panel wrong and show them next time around. What experience do you have exactly? Think how you can do something else to improve your profile and make yourself stand out, and make sure you know all your motivations. To give up now, at this stage, would only prove the panel right.

I applied to inner, I have experience with citizens advice and Liverpool law clinic. Both needed extensive knowledge of the law which is a question they asked me. They believed that I was merely administrative and asked me if that was correct. I said no it took a lot more, I had to know how to handle real cases and file manage the way a professional would. Most of the ten minute interview was about financial circumstances. I explained that I had no other means of undertaking the BPTC unless I obtained a scholarship. They asked what I would do if I didn’t get one. I said that I would have to work full time and then get a bank loan. But said that I would be hesitant to do this as if you’re going to invest that much money in a course then I would want to feel I could fully dedicate myself to that course. I also explained that whilst I had only obtained a 2:1 I was confident that I could obtain a first (I have this semester) and that my chronic illness which had meant I was housebound for long periods for the past two years had made studying difficult and now that I was properly medicated I would indeed achieve a first. I feel very deflated as I feel this is another thing my illness has taken away from me. I am disappointed with how the inn has dealt with diversity in terms of disability. However, I obviously cannot know exactly the reason why they rejected my application. I am trying not to take it to heart, after all ten minutes is never going to be enough time to realise a persons potential especially if they have a weaker application with regards to grades like me.
Nelson&Murdock
Rep:
?
I applied to inner, I have experience with citizens advice and Liverpool law clinic. Both needed extensive knowledge of the law which is a question they asked me. They believed that I was merely administrative and asked me if that was correct. I said no it took a lot more, I had to know how to handle real cases and file manage the way a professional would. Most of the ten minute interview was about financial circumstances. I explained that I had no other means of undertaking the BPTC unless I obtained a scholarship. They asked what I would do if I didn’t get one. I said that I would have to work full time and then get a bank loan. But said that I would be hesitant to do this as if you’re going to invest that much money in a course then I would want to feel I could fully dedicate myself to that course. I also explained that whilst I had only obtained a 2:1 I was confident that I could obtain a first (I have this semester) and that my chronic illness which had meant I was housebound for long periods for the past two years had made studying difficult and now that I was properly medicated I would indeed achieve a first. I feel very deflated as I feel this is another thing my illness has taken away from me. I am disappointed with how the inn has dealt with diversity in terms of disability. However, I obviously cannot know exactly the reason why they rejected my application. I am trying not to take it to heart, after all ten minutes is never going to be enough time to realise a persons potential especially if they have a weaker application with regards to grades like me.

Thankyou for your words of encouragement. I will certainly be undertaking the BPTC this year still. I will get a bank loan and do whatever I can! I just thought this would be my big break and I would get some financial support after having to pay my way through uni and not being paid sick leave. I think I just put so much on this opportunity, after a hard couple of years. I have doubted whether I can become a barrister due to my disability and I guess that I thought the panel were confirming this fear. Thankyou for the words of reassurance!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (889)
42.72%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.89%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads