Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I really can't decide between these two for my insurance choice (Biological Science at Oxford will be my firm). They're both the same offer requirements, St Andrews is a 4 year Scottish degree and York is a 4 year integrated masters. I think I prefer York as a place but I've not been to St Andrews. I think I prefer York's course, but St Andrews is higher ranked and more importantly I'm an EU student with Scottish/EU fee status so St Andrews is obviously the better option economically.

I'm pretty sure I will make my Oxford offer so this whole decision is pointless, but I need to choose just in case. How should I decide?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by TheBirder)
    I really can't decide between these two for my insurance choice (Biological Science at Oxford will be my firm). They're both the same offer requirements, St Andrews is a 4 year Scottish degree and York is a 4 year integrated masters. I think I prefer York as a place but I've not been to St Andrews. I think I prefer York's course, but St Andrews is higher ranked and more importantly I'm an EU student with Scottish/EU fee status so St Andrews is obviously the better option economically.

I'm pretty sure I will make my Oxford offer so this whole decision is pointless, but I need to choose just in case. How should I decide?
    Are the courses the same or is there a module in one that you like the sound of more?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    On the one side I think St Andrews might be more competitive and less likely t take you as an insurance i.e fail to get into Oxford and you may not get into St Andrews either. York might be a bit more lenient?

On the other side £30k saving isnt to be sniffed at. If you cnat visit then do try and talk to some students at St Andrews plus see if there are youtube videos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Are the courses the same or is there a module in one that you like the sound of more?
    As far as I can tell, they are very similar courses. St Andrews' is called Ecology and Conservation, York's is just Ecology, but they seem to be very similar except that St Andrews has an extra year of broad biology (two years at Andrews, one year at York) before you can choose options and I'm not very keen on doing that which is making me lean towards York.

(Original post by 999tigger)
    On the one side I think St Andrews might be more competitive and less likely t take you as an insurance i.e fail to get into Oxford and you may not get into St Andrews either. York might be a bit more lenient?

On the other side £30k saving isnt to be sniffed at. If you cnat visit then do try and talk to some students at St Andrews plus see if there are youtube videos.
    The offers themselves are exactly the same for both unis and I'm quite sure I can make the Oxford offer anyway so if I don't make the Andrews/York offer that would be a very significant drop below my mock exam grades and I'd retake the exams and reapply.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    As far as I can tell, they are very similar courses. St Andrews' is called Ecology and Conservation, York's is just Ecology, but they seem to be very similar except that St Andrews has an extra year of broad biology (two years at Andrews, one year at York) before you can choose options and I'm not very keen on doing that which is making me lean towards York.

The offers themselves are exactly the same for both unis and I'm quite sure I can make the Oxford offer anyway so if I don't make the Andrews/York offer that would be a very significant drop below my mock exam grades and I'd retake the exams and reapply.
    So it is really moot. Not sure why you asked.

ReputationRep:
    So it is really moot. Not sure why you asked.
    Well I've got to choose something and I really can't decide between the two.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Well I've got to choose something and I really can't decide between the two.
    But if you arent going anyway, then surely it makes no difference?

ReputationRep:
    But if you arent going anyway, then surely it makes no difference?
    I would probably consider going to the insurance if something went wrong and I didn't get Oxford, but if I got lower than my Andrews/York offer (36 IB points) then I'd probably retake so I don't really need to consider how lenient they are with people who miss their offers.

ReputationRep:
    If I firm a uni in England and insurance a uni in Scotland (EU fee status), what are the implications for applying for student finance?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.