emarsden16
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I've got Royal Holloway down as my first choice for September, and I'm currently doing my accommodation application.

Is there anyone studying there who can give advice on the halls? Most of the threads I've seen are at least a few years old, and at the moment, I'm choosing between George Eliot, Butler, Williamson and Founders.

Does anyone have any burning complaints about any of them as well?
All help appreciated
Peggysawyer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I’m also applying, and wondering how likely it is you’ll get your first choice? Do most people get their first choice?
Royal Holloway, University of London
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by emarsden16)
Hi, I've got Royal Holloway down as my first choice for September, and I'm currently doing my accommodation application.

Is there anyone studying there who can give advice on the halls? Most of the threads I've seen are at least a few years old, and at the moment, I'm choosing between George Eliot, Butler, Williamson and Founders.

Does anyone have any burning complaints about any of them as well?
All help appreciated
Hey Emarsden16,

Glad to hear that you've put Royal Holloway down as your first choice!

In terms of accommodation, what are the main things that you're looking for? It's probably easiest if you start out by thinking about what the most important thing to you is in finding a room. So thinking about whether you'd want your own bathroom or if you're happy to share, whether you want to cook for yourself or if you'd rather go for catered and whether you want a single or a double bed. Cost will also be a factor within this too!

George Eliot and Butler & Williamson (also includes Tuke, Wedderburn and Gowar) are all self catered halls with double beds, the main difference being that George Eliot rooms share a bathroom with one other student whilst Butler, Williamson etc have ensuites.

Founder's is a slightly more traditional hall, and probably the only time that you'll get to experience living in such a beautiful castle! It's got single beds, shared bathrooms and is a catered hall, so slightly different from the above.

I lived in Wedderburn in my first year, and a highlight for me was getting to cook with my flatmates each night. I could hardly make pasta when I arrived at uni, so it was a big learning curve!

Have you had a chance to look around our halls?

Camilla
Moniihetland
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm also applying for acommodation and I can't see an option where I can choose to have my own bathroom, catered and double bed. Are there any options for that offers this that I have missed?
Moniihetland
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello, I am also looking for the suitable acommodation at Royal Holloway and I could not find any acommodation that entailed my own bathroom, double bed and catered. Are there any options for this that I have missed?
cw7600
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London)
Hey Emarsden16,

Glad to hear that you've put Royal Holloway down as your first choice!

In terms of accommodation, what are the main things that you're looking for? It's probably easiest if you start out by thinking about what the most important thing to you is in finding a room. So thinking about whether you'd want your own bathroom or if you're happy to share, whether you want to cook for yourself or if you'd rather go for catered and whether you want a single or a double bed. Cost will also be a factor within this too!

George Eliot and Butler & Williamson (also includes Tuke, Wedderburn and Gowar) are all self catered halls with double beds, the main difference being that George Eliot rooms share a bathroom with one other student whilst Butler, Williamson etc have ensuites.

Founder's is a slightly more traditional hall, and probably the only time that you'll get to experience living in such a beautiful castle! It's got single beds, shared bathrooms and is a catered hall, so slightly different from the above.

I lived in Wedderburn in my first year, and a highlight for me was getting to cook with my flatmates each night. I could hardly make pasta when I arrived at uni, so it was a big learning curve!

Have you had a chance to look around our halls?

Camilla
I am an awful cook, but can defo do pasta! so should i consider both self-catered and catered? what kind of budget did you go off? thanks
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Moniihetland)
I'm also applying for acommodation and I can't see an option where I can choose to have my own bathroom, catered and double bed. Are there any options for that offers this that I have missed?
Hi Moniihetland,

Our accommodation options are separated into a variety of bands to distinguish bedroom type, catering option, let length and price rather than specific halls of residence as a few of our halls offer similar facilities. You can view all of our accommodation band options on our Online Accommodation system here.

I had a similar list of preferences and lived in Kingswood during my first year, which is a single ensuite room with catered facilities. It was my first choice, so I was super happy to have gotten it!

Susana
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by cw7600)
I am an awful cook, but can defo do pasta! so should i consider both self-catered and catered? what kind of budget did you go off? thanks
Hi cw7600,

It's really up to you and what you'd prefer overall. As my colleague mentioned, there's a lot to think about from whether you'd prefer an ensuite bathroom or shared through to whether you'd like a double bed or single bed.

Everyone has different preferences and budget so I understand that it can seem like a difficult choice! If you have any more questions about accommodation, just let me know and I'm happy to answer.

Susana
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (85)
26.23%
England (109)
33.64%
Belgium (27)
8.33%
Germany (38)
11.73%
Spain (6)
1.85%