The Student Room Group

Applied Science BTEC Level 3

I'm a bit confused about the difference between an extended level 3 diploma and a subsidiary level 3 diploma. Are they the same? Do they require me to take one to do the other? I'm just so confused.
Reply 1
Original post by YixingZhang
I'm a bit confused about the difference between an extended level 3 diploma and a subsidiary level 3 diploma. Are they the same? Do they require me to take one to do the other? I'm just so confused.

HI
Extended diploma is completed over two years and you need to complete 18 units, the sub sid is only nine units.
Sub sid first then you can progress onto the second year to complete the remaining 9. Over all you complete 18 units you can achieve three A levels
Reply 2

Extended Diploma = 180 credits (usually 18x 10-credit units) = 3 A levels equivalent

Subsidiary Diploma = 60 credits (usually 6x 10-credit units) = 1 A level equivalent

Original post by zenab371
HI
Extended diploma is completed over two years and you need to complete 18 units, the sub sid is only nine units.
Sub sid first then you can progress onto the second year to complete the remaining 9. Over all you complete 18 units you can achieve three A levels

You are getting confused between the Subsidiary diploma and the 90-Credit Diploma. The 90-credit Diploma is the one that is the first 9 units (half of an Extended Diploma) and is worth 1.5 A levels, the Subsidiary is one third of an extended and worth 1 A level equivalent
So do you have to do the Subsidiary then the extended?
Reply 4
So do you have to do the Subsidiary then the extended?

No

You usually do the Subsidiary alongside 2-3 A levels or other BTEC Subsidiarys

You would normally take the Extended on its own as its worth 3 A levels.

If you do an Extended (which is 180 credits) you normally do the 90-Credit Diploma in the first year and then top it up to the Extended Diploma with another 90 credits (9 units)
Original post by yt7777
No

You usually do the Subsidiary alongside 2-3 A levels or other BTEC Subsidiarys

You would normally take the Extended on its own as its worth 3 A levels.

If you do an Extended (which is 180 credits) you normally do the 90-Credit Diploma in the first year and then top it up to the Extended Diploma with another 90 credits (9 units)

Oh. That makes a whole load if sense. Thanks for letting me know. The response was so quick. 👌😀
Reply 6
Oh. That makes a whole load if sense. Thanks for letting me know. The response was so quick. 👌😀

No problem, which are you taking?
Original post by yt7777
No problem, which are you taking?

Extended hopefully. I’m not planning on taking A levels if I’m quite honest.

Quick Reply

Latest