pretty_in_punk
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
hello, I'm feeling abit confused with what happens to universal credit once I have been approved for SF.
I have read online; entitled to & gov website, they both read exactly the same.
"if you fall into one of the categories below , you will still be able to claim UC."
I have 3 children, two under the age of ten. A husband who looks after the children so I can study and i receive PIP.
SF have approved my loan, (pending the evidence etc which I sent off yesterday). I can't remember the full amount so I'm just going to estimate an approx figure. £3,500.
So the above amount is the maintenance loan. I am really worried that I may have to drop out now. I messaged my 'work coach' on UC and he had told me that my claim would cease once the LOAN had started. (I say loan in captials because I'm confused? I have been received UC because I cannot afford to live. I do not have to pay it back. So why, when I ask UC if they will still help, they say no, because the maintenance loan is classed as an income. yet, that has to be paid back 🤨🤔) I'm hearing conflicting arguments about this everywhere! I am not asking for loads of cash so that I can dive into my coin pool like Scrooge McDuck.. I just want to know that myself and family will be ok financially for the next 3 years.
Thanks.
p.s I hope that makes sense.
Rona SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by pretty_in_punk)
hello, I'm feeling abit confused with what happens to universal credit once I have been approved for SF.
I have read online; entitled to & gov website, they both read exactly the same.
"if you fall into one of the categories below , you will still be able to claim UC."
I have 3 children, two under the age of ten. A husband who looks after the children so I can study and i receive PIP.
SF have approved my loan, (pending the evidence etc which I sent off yesterday). I can't remember the full amount so I'm just going to estimate an approx figure. £3,500.
So the above amount is the maintenance loan. I am really worried that I may have to drop out now. I messaged my 'work coach' on UC and he had told me that my claim would cease once the LOAN had started. (I say loan in captials because I'm confused? I have been received UC because I cannot afford to live. I do not have to pay it back. So why, when I ask UC if they will still help, they say no, because the maintenance loan is classed as an income. yet, that has to be paid back 🤨🤔) I'm hearing conflicting arguments about this everywhere! I am not asking for loads of cash so that I can dive into my coin pool like Scrooge McDuck.. I just want to know that myself and family will be ok financially for the next 3 years.
Thanks.
p.s I hope that makes sense.

Hi pretty_in_punk,

Benefits for students depend on your personal circumstances such as your income and any savings you may have. Your benefits may stop if the income you get through student finance is too high.

The Job Centre Plus (JCP) will take into account any loans and grants, when calculating your entitlement to benefits. Most full-time students can't claim income related benefits but you may be able to claim if you:
  • are a single parent
  • have a partner who is also a student - and one or both of you are responsible for a child
  • have a disability, and qualify for the disability premium or income related Employment and Support Allowance

The only grant that students are obliged to provide details of is Adult Dependents' Grant (ADG), as it is considered a declarable income for the purposes of Income-Related Benefits and Tax Credits. Certain types of benefits may be affected by an applicant being entitled to ADG.

If you Entitled to Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and are assessed for the Special Support element of the Maintenance Loan, that means you are eligible for an increased amount of Maintenance Loan.

You will receive the regular Maintenance Loan along with the Special Support Element.

These students will need to provide evidence to show they are in receipt of state benefits before the Special Support element of their loan is awarded.

The special support element of the Maintenance Loan, which is £3680 won't be used by the Department of Work and Pensions DWP when they are calculating a student's entitled to benefits.

You should ask your Jobcentre Plus or your local authority's Housing Benefit section how this will specifically affect your benefits. More information can be obtained from

www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

I hope this helps.

Regards Rona
pretty_in_punk
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thankyou so much. That has really cleared my unanswered questions.
Jenna
Rona SFE
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by pretty_in_punk)
Thankyou so much. That has really cleared my unanswered questions.
Jenna

Hi Jenna,

You are very welcome,

Regards Rona
Student.Tactics
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm a "Mature" Student 26 & been living in my own Flat since 16 (Hostels etc) I was living in Hertfordshire and I've been moved into London - New Flat/ Housing Association back in October 2018.

I was receiving ESA Support Group & PIP (I still receive that)

Moved on to Universal Credit so they would pay my Rent.

I completed a Foundation Year before I moved in to my New Flat Hammersmith & Fulham & got on to the BA Philosophy Degree at my University.

They ain't payed my Rent since I moved in and am now over £2000 in Arrears.

Refusing to pay me rent EVEN THOUGH they awarded me £581.16 for my Rent.

The Maintenance Loan lowered it to £320 a Month. I was receiving £190 a week ESA. My Rent was always fully paid.

How can they refuse to pay my rent AFTER in Early April WRITING TELLING ME THEY WOULD PAY £581.16 DIRECT TO MY LANDLORD?

Do you know any Solicitors that can Assist?
Last edited by Student.Tactics; 2 years ago
SFE Chanel
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Student.Tactics)
I'm a "Mature" Student 26 & been living in my own Flat since 16 (Hostels etc) I was living in Hertfordshire and I've been moved into London - New Flat/ Housing Association back in October 2018.

I was receiving ESA Support Group & PIP (I still receive that)

Moved on to Universal Credit so they would pay my Rent.

I completed a Foundation Year before I moved in to my New Flat Hammersmith & Fulham & got on to the BA Philosophy Degree at my University.

They ain't payed my Rent since I moved in and am now over £2000 in Arrears.

Refusing to pay me rent EVEN THOUGH they awarded me £581.16 for my Rent.

The Maintenance Loan lowered it to £320 a Month. I was receiving £190 a week ESA. My Rent was always fully paid.

How can they refuse to pay my rent AFTER in Early April WRITING TELLING ME THEY WOULD PAY £581.16 DIRECT TO MY LANDLORD?

Do you know any Solicitors that can Assist?
Hi there,

Unfortunately we wouldn't be able to advise on your benefits and why they have stopped as we wouldn't have that information at SFE.

The common reason for benefits being cut or stopped is because of the Maintenance Loan and/or grants you receive from ourselves. The amount may be too high for you to continue to receive your benefits.

I would recommend contacting them for advice.

Thanks, Chanel
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise