The Student Room Group

Is 83% in Year 10 good for Year 11 paper/GCSE Maths Practise paper

So I took some of the advice from my last two Maths tests(79/80, 77/80), and I did a practice paper to see how good I'd do(I'm printing another one off), and I got 67/80 marks on the practice paper, even though that is lower than I got on the last 2 tests. I was using the 2015 AQA Specimen new 1-9 papers, paper 1, non calculator, would this test be realistic/like the new exams? Is this good? Any feedback please?
Stop coming here looking for praise you know whether your happy with it or not....
Reply 2
Original post by trill_val
Stop coming here looking for praise you know whether your happy with it or not....

I am asking whether this test is realistic or not..... If you don't have something helpful to say don't say anything.
Reply 3
Original post by Zoqua
So I took some of the advice from my last two Maths tests(79/80, 77/80), and I did a practice paper to see how good I'd do(I'm printing another one off), and I got 67/80 marks on the practice paper, even though that is lower than I got on the last 2 tests. I was using the 2015 AQA Specimen new 1-9 papers, paper 1, non calculator, would this test be realistic/like the new exams? Is this good? Any feedback please?

Yes that is a very high percentage for a year 10 student trying the specimen papers. You should be targeting a high grade 9 next summer and aiming for 90%+.
Reply 4
Original post by Notnek
Yes that is a very high percentage for a year 10 student trying the specimen papers. You should be targeting a high grade 9 next summer and aiming for 90%+.

Thank you, do you think that this paper is realistic/ like the papers we will be getting next year?
Reply 5
Original post by Zoqua
Thank you, do you think that this paper is realistic/ like the papers we will be getting next year?

Yes it is but's impossible to say if it will be harder/easier.
Reply 6
Are the exams realistic? They are mostly. Specimen papers are usually a bit 'rougher' than the actual exams which are better written, but for the most part they are fairly realistic, yes. Having looked through the specimen paper and comparing it to last years papers which we were given as mocks, they are pretty similar.

83% across the board would be a 9 as per last years grade boundaries (though use with caution, this is a different paper). Only you know whether that is good for you or not.
Original post by Zoqua

hey how do you start becoming a maths genius? ccan you help me
It's ok for Y10, bearing in mind last year's boundaries are lower since new spec, once you do enough you should really be pushing for mid to upper 70s for a strong 9, make sure the tests are realistic.
Reply 9
Original post by sadasdasfsfafg
hey how do you start becoming a maths genius? ccan you help me

I would not describe myself as a Maths genius.... I do know someone(my Uncle) who is a genius at Maths, and they where doing A level Maths & Further Maths in Year 10... I'm not that good lol. I just have always liked Maths, Maths just makes sense, and I always try hard and revise for my assessments, covering every topic available. I also practice doing calculations in everyday life, like calculating the volume of rooms by estimation and timing things mentally and stuff like that. I just revise a lot, like using practice papers, not much more can be done. I've always wanted a career in Maths & Finance, so I also think that every good result pushes me further to that career. That's all that can be done to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest