Funding for intercalated year during graduate entry medicine. Is there any? Watch

BillMurray
Badges: 7
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi there,

I understand that during year 1, after paying the first £3,500 yourself, SFE and the NHS will pay the rest of your tuition and SFE will provide students with roughly £8,500 for living costs in the form of a maintenance loan.

Years 2 to 4 tuition fees are covered by the NHS and SFE and students will receive nearly £6000 from a combination of NHS bursaries and a reduced maintenance loan from SFE.

My question is, will the NHS and/or SFE fund an intercalated year (BSc or MSc) for graduate entry med students. I've researched this quite a bit, and I THINK the NHS will cover an intercalated year after 4 years of study on the normal medicine route (5 to 6 year degrees). But I cannot for the life of me figure out whether students on the accelerated 4 year course will be covered if they wanted to intercalate after years 1, 2 or 3.

Please can someone who knows about this help me out as I really want to intercalate if given the opportunity.

Thanks!
junior.doctor
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Can you even intercalate on a GEM course? I didn’t think you could.
I thought the whole point was that GEM students already had an undergraduate BSc or equivalent.
Perhaps I’m wrong. But my experience with GEM students in my region, admittedly going back a few years, is that they did not intercalate.
BillMurray
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by junior.doctor)
Can you even intercalate on a GEM course? I didn’t think you could.
I thought the whole point was that GEM students already had an undergraduate BSc or equivalent.
Perhaps I’m wrong. But my experience with GEM students in my region, admittedly going back a few years, is that they did not intercalate.
Thanks. Don't quote me on these exact figures, but nearly half of all medical schools that offer the GEM course require a degree in anything, BA or BSc. Thus they'll be a lot of GEM students who hold completely unrelated degrees, such as myself (International Relations BA).

The Med schools I'm interested in applying to, Newcastle and Warwick, both allow their GEM students to intercalate onto Master's or Bachelor courses after years 1 or 2 for Warwick, and after years 2 and 3 for Newcastle.
Anonymous #1
Report 11 months ago
As a GEM student myself, I would advise against intercalation if you're on a GEM course. Most undergraduates intercalate for the extra points of the foundation application after graduation, and the chance to do a bit of research. If you want to do research then there are cheaper ways than doing an intercalation as a GEM!
BillMurray
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
As a GEM student myself, I would advise against intercalation if you're on a GEM course. Most undergraduates intercalate for the extra points of the foundation application after graduation, and the chance to do a bit of research. If you want to do research then there are cheaper ways than doing an intercalation as a GEM!
Thanks. I want to intercalate because I am interested in medicine and related disciplines from a research point of view (although that could change once the course starts).

What other ways are there to do research in this field or related ones?
Anonymous #1
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by BillMurray)
Thanks. I want to intercalate because I am interested in medicine and related disciplines from a research point of view (although that could change once the course starts).

What other ways are there to do research in this field or related ones?
If you're keen you can get involved in research in your pre clinical years, such as in the summer holidays. During clinical years you occasionally occasionally come across a doctor who is involved in research and can sometimes use a spare pair of hands. And there's always the chance to do audits and research post qualification
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (127)
17.81%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.25%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (103)
14.45%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.82%
How can I be the best version of myself? (217)
30.43%

Watched Threads