Genetics and Genomics counselling Glasgow Msc

Watch
Naomirl
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi! I was wondering if anyone else on here has applied to this programme?
EimearCara
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hiya! I've applied, I've not heard back yet, have you?
Naomirl
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Not yet! Feeling pretty nervous about it! Have you applied anywhere else?
EimearCara
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I applied to the NHS scientist training programme but didn't get an interview. There doesn't seem to be many places, even outside of the UK that you can do it, other than Cardiff! Have you applied to others?
Naomirl
Rep:
?
No I haven't, yeah there aren't too many places that offer it. What was your undergrad in?
EimearCara
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did Psychology. Ive worked as a mental health support worker since October, but I've limited Genetics experience apart from a few modules in Uni, and zero lab experience which might be an issue. What about you? Do you know anything about what job prospects are like afterwards? I'm a bit worried that there aren't many genetic counselling positions available
Naomirl
Rep:
?
I'm coming from the other side, I did genetics. I know positions are really limited and you'd probably have to travel to get a job, unless you're from London. But I think you can also work outside of the UK with the qualification. BTW you would also qualify for the Cardiff programme as you have +6months experience.
EimearCara
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah I was considering it, but its part time, distance learning for three years. I might apply to it next year but at the moment I'm not that keen on it. If I dont get into glasgow I might do a genetics masters, and then apply through the STP next year
Naomirl
Rep:
?
You wouldn't apply to Glasgow again? Yeah I'm currently considering what my plan B is if I don't get in to Glasgow.
Lyns_Eliz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I've also applied to the MSc at Glasgow. Didn't get an interview for the NHS STP either, so not sure what that means for my chances for the MSc. Also trying to work out what to do if I don't get in, I want to get more caring experience but I'm coming from a science background so not sure what kind of jobs would be good to apply for...
Naomirl
Rep:
?
I think the STP is maybe more competitive because you get paid? So I wouldn’t let that worry you. You don’t need any qualification to to a care job
Naomirl
Rep:
?
Has anyone heard anything?
EimearCara
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No not yet 😕
Teeny144
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi everyone! I've been offered an interview (over Skype as I'm international). Anyone else?
Naomirl
Rep:
?
Did you get an email?
Teeny144
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Naomirl)
Did you get an email?
Yes I did. I got it this morning. Not sure if everyone is supposed to do a Skype interview or if it's because I live far away. I picked a Skype interview slot as well.
Teeny144
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also did anyone get an interview for the NHS Genomic Counselling thing? I was top of shortlist reserve but never got called.
Lyns_Eliz
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They give everyone a Skype interview. I currently live in Glasgow and mine is also over Skype - I think it's so no one has an advantage!
rsarahj
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Has anyone else not heard yet? Do they offer all the interviews at once?
Naomirl
Rep:
?
I’ve not heard back either, I’m taking it as a bad sign
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (32)
60.38%
No (10)
18.87%
Not sure (11)
20.75%

Watched Threads