The Student Room Group

Do you prefer fiction or nonfiction books?

Scroll to see replies

When I was young I could not for the life of me fathom why anybody would choose to read fiction (beyond demonstrating the ability to read). Then I read To Kill a Mockingbird at about 14 and realised that there was potentially as much to learn from.fiction!

So nowadays both, depending on the reason!
I like both, but I have a preference for fiction. I'm not even sure why really. I just don't get the same joy from non-fiction.
Reply 22
Fiction.
Science-Fiction
Original post by sinfonietta
I like both, but I have a preference for fiction. I'm not even sure why really. I just don't get the same joy from non-fiction.

Sounds like you are keen on reading fantasy books. That is what I connect with fiction.
For a long time I read absolutely no fiction. I stuck strictly to nonfictions related to my own field of study. However in the past year or so I’ve really opened up to fictions and I must admit I feel like they help my abstract thinking. My rational mind maybe screams a little too loudly so to speak at times. It’s interesting how works of literary fiction have been able to balance out my mind to give me (what I consider to be) a better rounded thinking strategy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending