The Student Room Group

Can I legitimately go to prison for this?

Im on bail right now for an altercation that happened a week ago tomorrow.. I have to go in to the police station tomorrow and I have no idea why. Long story short I threw a bottle at someone due to a disagreement. Moment of madness and its now given me sleepless nights. I waved my right to legal representation as I didnt think it was that serious as no blood spilled. Whats bothering me is I have a previous unrelated conviction resulting in 16 weeks in a young offenders which was years ago now.. Im wondering if this will be held against me even though it was ages ago and unrelated? I can’t go back there Im telling you I wont surive it, I barely made it out last time the constant boredom and being bullied I wont be able to do it again.

Scroll to see replies

I doubt it but someone is being locked away for a joke so it isnt looking good
Original post by Got Milk
Im on bail right now for an altercation that happened a week ago tomorrow.. I have to go in to the police station tomorrow and I have no idea why. Long story short I threw a bottle at someone due to a disagreement. Moment of madness and its now given me sleepless nights. I waved my right to legal representation as I didnt think it was that serious as no blood spilled. Whats bothering me is I have a previous unrelated conviction resulting in 16 weeks in a young offenders which was years ago now.. Im wondering if this will be held against me even though it was ages ago and unrelated? I can’t go back there Im telling you I wont surive it, I barely made it out last time the constant boredom and being bullied I wont be able to do it again.

lolol
I doubt anything custodial would come out of this... it’s hardly heinous is it :dontknow:!
Reply 4
Is this the end of Got Milk? Only time will tell...
Reply 5
This is it. You’re done for. 30 year to life. The milk has spilled and gone down the drain.
Original post by cat_mac
This is it. You’re done for. 30 year to life. The milk has spilled and gone down the drain.
yeah its not actually funny.. you have no idea..
yeah its not actually funny.. you have no idea..

The lesson is perhaps not to go radgy in the future.

Look at the sentencing guidelines. Ultimately the consequence will depend on the circumstances of your case and previous convictions.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
enjoy jail
Haha.

Wait is this serious....

Can't tell if this is serious or not, but in the interests of helping people if it is/in case anyone is reading this and is in this sort of situation (and also in the interests of helping my revision weirdly enough):

Sounds like a conditional bail - the purpose of going to the police station is to ensure that you are not fleeing from the country. If you don't go there will be serious ramifications (i.e. bail could be revoked and in any future offences committed the CPS may try and get rid of your bail rights because you didn't abide by them this time round).

Whether it is custodial depends on what you were charged with. You can search the relative sentences on the sentencing council website (Search 'sentencing guidelines' and the offence name after it). Follow the steps i.e. what type of harm was committed (if any) and any factors that may have been present e.g. if you openly admitted it it will work in your favour, but if you are deliberately making it worse for police then it will go against you.
You should get an idea of the type of sentence online.

Some offences simply don't carry custodial sentences, but again, it depends on the sentence and the factors in your circumstances that apply.
why TSR
Reply 12

Was it a glass bottle and did it hit the person? If the answer to both of those is 'yes', then you are in a world of ****.
Say you self identify as a female lesbian PoC in a wheelchair, and ask to speak to a diversity Councillor before talking to the feds.
The milk has gone stale and is going straight to jail.
Be a good opportunity to write that book you are always going on about.
You could also study.
It could be like Shawshank Redemption

TSR might be verboten though.

Ps I dont think you will go to prison.
Maybe speak to your newly contacted lawyer.
(edited 5 years ago)
All I’m saying is, don’t drop the soap and stay away from hard drugs. You might come out unchanged but this is very unlikely and ‘wishful thinking’ at best as 9/10 first time offenders become the next Pablo Escobar by the time they’ve finished their first stint.

Throwing a bottle at someone else without causing any serious injury would be classed as battery and you’d be looking at a 6 month custodial sentence and/or up to a 5k fine. However, the CPS doesn’t just throw anyone in prison for the sake of it and a first offence would likely result in a fine as opposed to prison. It could go either-way but because of your previous youth conviction it would basically show that you haven’t changed and are a danger to society.

Honestly I’d recommend getting legal or some other professional advice. Try an organisation such as nacro if you can’t talk to a proper lawyer.
Original post by AtheClassicMan
All I’m saying is, don’t drop the soap and stay away from hard drugs. You might come out unchanged but this is very unlikely and ‘wishful thinking’ at best as 9/10 first time offenders become the next Pablo Escobar by the time they’ve finished their first stint.

Throwing a bottle at someone else without causing any serious injury would be classed as battery and you’d be looking at a 6 month custodial sentence and/or up to a 5k fine. However, the CPS doesn’t just throw anyone in prison for the sake of it and a first offence would likely result in a fine as opposed to prison. It could go either-way but because of your previous youth conviction it would basically show that you haven’t changed and are a danger to society.
you didnt read my post then..? This is a second offence
Original post by Lepidolite
Honestly I’d recommend getting legal or some other professional advice. Try an organisation such as nacro if you can’t talk to a proper lawyer.

I have to go to court on the April 4th, I got a lawyer in the end.. he says I will either get a lengthy anount of community service or 6-8 months.. honestly Id rather do the 6 months be out in 3 than do 500hrs of unpaid work. If they try to give me anything more than 40hrs community service Im going to ask to do 1 month in prison instead..fkit

Latest