The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Monaco Preview

First run: 1950 (Although a race existed since 1929)
Last winner: Vettel (2017)
Laps 78
Most wins: Ayrton Senna (6)

Through the years:
1950: The 2nd ever F1 championship race is held at Monaco. A tidal wave causes carnage on the first lap eliminating 8 drivers. This race was also the first for a rear engined car, the first for Ferrari. Fangios first win and the last last in which in Monegasque driver scored points, until 2018.
1955: The race was off the calendar for 5 years (With a fatal crash in a non championship race in 1952) Maurice Trintignant wins in a Ferrari. This race is famous for double world champion Alberto Ascari crashing into the harbour. This would be his last race.
1959: Legend and later team owner Jack Brabham wins his first grand Prix. He wins the championship in this year.
1960: Stirling Moss wins the first ever race for a Lotus.
1962: Jim Clark takes his first ever pole.
1963: Mr Monaco Graham Hill wins his first Monaco gp.
1965: Paul Hawkins crashes into the harbour like Ascari 10 years earlier, and thus becomes a pub-quiz answer.
1966: McLaren make their debut. The engines become 3 Litre and scenes from the film Grand Prix are filmed at this race.
1967: Tragedy strikes as Ferrari driver Lorenzo Bandini suffers a fatal crash. The rescue operation was usless to say the least.
1968: The race is shortened by 20 laps (to 80) and the harbour chicane tightened as a result of the previous year. Ferrari did not attend due to safety. Lotus introduce a ca with front wings.
1969: Hill wins his last Monaco gp, this is also the last race for Cooper (as a manufacter) and for Maserati engines.
1970: Bruce Mclaren takes part in his last ever race (suffering a fatal crash 5 days later) Swede Ronnie Peterson makes his debut.
1972: The track is modified for this race. A new chicane is placed at Tabac and the pits moved to the harbour front.
1973: The track is further revised, with a longer tunnel, a new section by the swimming pool and the gasworks harpin replaced by the final two corners (as they are today). James Hunt makes his debut.
1977: Ricardo Patrese makes his debut. He will later hold a record for most Grand Prix starts.
1980: Derek Daly dramatically crashes his Tyrell at the start, eliminating 4 drivers.
1982: Dubbed the race that nobody wanted to win. The first race to take place after the death of Gilles Villeneuve. On lap 74 race leader Prost crashes as the rain starts to come down, Patrese takes the lead only to spin on lap 75. Pironi then takes the leader until his electrics fail in the tunnel on the final lap. Andrea de Cesaris was destined to win but he ran out of fuel before passing Prioni, the next potential leader Daly lost his front wing and had a gearbox failure. Patrese meanwhile had recovered and went on to win, from Pironi and De Cesaris.
1984: Martin Brundle has a huge crash in practice, he runs back to the pits but is not allowed to race due to not knowing how he got back to the pits (concussion). The race takes party in full wet conditions. Mansell leads his first ever race before crashing. Senna stars in the race, finishing 2nd in the red-flagged race with Prost taking the win. Stefan Beloff finishes 3rd in the normally aspirated Tyrell and was catching the two leaders (both of which would have had to retire had the race continued) Beloff was later disqualifed from the entire season.
1987: Senna wins his first Monaco grand Prix, this is also the first intance of a driver being DQ'ed from a weekend for causing a collison.
1988: Senna smashes it is qulaifying, taking pole by 1.4 seconds. He later makes a silly error in the race gifting the race to Prost.
1992: Mansell dominates the race but in forced to make a late pitstop, he rejoins behind Senna. Senna defends superbly to win his 5th Monaco gp.
1994: Schumacher wins his first Monaco gp in the first race after the death of Senna and Ratzenberger. Strict safety rules are introduced. Karl Wendlinger suffers a coma inducing crash in his Sauber.
1996: A crazy wet takes place in the wet. Scumacher is eliminated on lap 1 after crashing, only 13 cars remain at the end of lap 5. Panis later barged past Irvine. Hill blows up from the lead, new leader Alesi also has mechanical issues. Panis takes the lead and wins the race, with only 3 cars crossing the finish line.
1997: Scumacher wins in the wet at Monaco, with Barrichello taking his first ever podium. The race is also notable for Mika Salo not making a single pit-stop.
1998; Wurz exits the tunnel with no front wheels after an earlier wheel banging with Scumacher.
2003: The circuit is modified to what we know it as today, no overtakes are recorded during the race.
2004: Jarno Trulli takes his only ever win after Alonso exits the tunnel backwards, and Schumacher and Montoya crash in the tunnel under the SC.
2006: Schumacher parks his car at Rscasse during qualifying, preventing Alonso from taking pole. Schumacher is forced to start last.
2008: Hamilton makes the most of an early biff with the barriers to lead by 40 seconds, only for a SC to occur. Sutil starts in the wet, but is taken out by Raikkonen.

Andrews Classic Monaco Grand Prix.
1982: https://vimeo.com/24089090
1996: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20j9ky

Honourable mentions go to:
1984: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xur8vl
1992: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsqipJ2lSZs
2008: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23igfk

Special Moments:
1988: Sennas pole lap. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3nnAtVq74o
1950: A tidal wave. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alljFyMSURA
1980: Pileup at the start. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNn-TFIuGr0
1955: Ascari crashes into the harbour. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtxrp52PeDE
2006. Scumacher parks it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNyrPh7dN6U
A very long one today, with a bit of a history lesson. I also also for this race only have added a special moments bit, because it is Monaco.
That was a great quali session. Am I allowed to post spoilers in this thread?
Original post by rikkiardo
That was a great quali session. Am I allowed to post spoilers in this thread?

I would say so. That’s what we have done in the past, don’t view the thread unless you’ve watched the session I say.
MV needs replacing pronto, such an overhyped driver.
I don't think Max needs replacing. Besides, who would they promote? Gasly? I don't think he's quite ready yet. Max is just having a string of poor performances and I'm sure he'll get through it soon enough.

As a Hamilton fan though, I'm really happy after that quali session. Didn't think Merc could manage better than 5th but because of the Max crash and some good laps he got 3rd. Just needs a clean race now and minimise any points lost to Vettel.
Original post by random_matt
MV needs replacing pronto, such an overhyped driver.

Definitely overhyped, but who would they replace him with? Gasly is looking reasonably strong but I don't think he's ready. Bear in mind that if the rumours are correct, there's a chance that Red Bull will need to find a driver to replace Hartley.

I would say that if Verstappen doesn't improve by the time Sainz's loan to Renault ends, they sould consider putting Sainz in that car. But that's quite a few races away.
Original post by TheMindGarage
Definitely overhyped, but who would they replace him with? Gasly is looking reasonably strong but I don't think he's ready. Bear in mind that if the rumours are correct, there's a chance that Red Bull will need to find a driver to replace Hartley.

I would say that if Verstappen doesn't improve by the time Sainz's loan to Renault ends, they sould consider putting Sainz in that car. But that's quite a few races away.

Oh yeah, forgot about Sainz, I am assuming Ferrari will keep their number two's.
Original post by random_matt
Oh yeah, forgot about Sainz, I am assuming Ferrari will keep their number two's.

At least until the end of the season. After that, who knows who'll fill that seat. Leclerc is probably too inexperienced, Ricciardo has made comments suggesting that he doesn't want to have to carry out team orders and I'm not 100% convinced on Magnussen. If it were up to me I'd stick Bottas in that seat and have Ricciardo move to Mercedes since he'd be able to race there, but it seems like a long shot.
Original post by TheMindGarage

There’s nobody left in the Red Bull family. Sainz would be my first choice, but Renault could effectively hold Red Bull to ransom with him using their engines. Gasly needs another year or so in Toro Rosso.

We could say the same about Hartley, who would they replace him with? Bring Buemi back?
Original post by Andrew97
There’s nobody left in the Red Bull family. Sainz would be my first choice, but Renault could effectively hold Red Bull to ransom with him using their engines. Gasly needs another year or so in Toro Rosso.

We could say the same about Hartley, who would they replace him with? Bring Buemi back?

There's a reasonable chance that Red Bull will use Honda engines next season. I think the power deficit isn't that huge given that Toro Rosso haven't really fallen down the pecking order this year. There have been talks of bringing Wehrlein in to replace Hartley, but that seems unlikely given that he's busied himself with DTM. In my opinion they should never have dropped Kvyat from Toro Rosso as now they're lacking drivers.
That was impressive. But somewhat helped by the fact you can’t overtake at Monaco.
ricciardo deserved that win :yep:
Superb by Ricciardo, he really deserved that win. The car however did not.
That was a great drive from Ricciardo. Pleasantly surprised that Verstappen didn't go too crazy apart from that battle with Sainz. He could probably have passed a few more cars towards the end, but he knew that two safe points was better than yet another crash.

It's looking more and more likely that Red Bull switch to Honda next year. Gasly had quite some pace and it looks like the Renault and Honda engines aren't too far off.

Best driver: Ricciardo
Worst driver: Nobody really stands out here. Leclerc had a brake issue so I don't think he can be blamed for his crash. The Williams cars were just plain slow. I think really I'm going to have to nominate whoever was responsible for Sirotkin's wheels before the formation lap. The one time he actually qualifies well...
Best driver: Ricciardo
Worst driver: Stroll, and whoever was in charge of the TV pictures.
Boring like every year, and a Ferrari still can't catch a wounded car, RB were just that fast.
I still think that race was above average for Monaco standards. Even though nothing really happened, it was pretty tense from when Dan lost the MGU-K to the end.
I've decided to create a "Wooden Spoon Championship" for this season. Basically the points system is reversed so 25 points for 20th down to 1 point for 11th (the top 10 escape). Being not classified counts as a 20th finish - note that to classify you just have to finish 90% of the race distance, meaning that Bottas was classified at Baku and Leclerc and Hartley were classified today.

This is just a bit of fun and it doesn't differentiate between bad driving, poor reliability or just plain bad luck.

So... the Wooden Spoon Drivers' Championship:
1 Romain Grosjean (99)
2 Sergey Sirotkin (82)
3 Pierre Gasly (67)
4 Brendon Hartley (65)
5 Esteban Ocon (53)
6= Kimi Raikkonen (50)
6= Daniel Ricciardo (50)
6= Max Verstappen (50)
6= Nico Hulkenberg (50)
10 Marcus Ericsson (41)
11 Charles Leclerc (39)
12 Stoffel Vandoorne (35)
13 Kevin Magnussen (33)
14 Lance Stroll (31)
15 Fernando Alonso (25)
16 Sergio Perez (15)
17 Valterri Bottas (6)
18 Carlos Sainz (1)
19= Lewis Hamilton (0)
20= Sebastian Vettel (0)

And the Wooden Spoon Constructors' Championship:
1= Haas (132)
1= Toro Rosso (132)
3 Williams (113)
4 Red Bull (100)
5 Sauber (80)
6 Force India (68)
7 McLaren (60)
8 Renault (51)
9 Ferrari (50)
10 Mercedes (6)
Original post by rikkiardo
I still think that race was above average for Monaco standards. Even though nothing really happened, it was pretty tense from when Dan lost the MGU-K to the end.

I haven't really followed F1 in the past but I think I'd have to agree. While there weren't any actual overtakes, there were some tense moments between P6 and P9 towards the end, and of course the strategy wars and problems at the front. Goes to show that you don't need a gazillion overtakes or tons of crashes to have a half-decent race. We're not going to get a 1996 every year.

Latest