The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Neilos
Thought that was dismal... incredibly boring race. I normally keep races to watch again a few days later, but this one's getting deleted straight away.

Only highlight for me was Alonso's beautiful move around the outside of Turn 3.

I dont know if it is the jetlag I have or what but I slept through most of the race, only saw the 1st stint till Vettel's pit stop and the last 3 laps. I knew once the 1st few laps were done that Hamilton would win (looked supreme today) but am curious to know why / how Verstappen finished 3rd (was it another Ferrari strategy blunder due to safetycars)

Also glad to see my boy Charles in the points again this race, I have a suspicion if he does well, he will be replacing grosjean at haas next year with a view on 2021 at Ferrari (depends really on Raikkonen, Vettel and Ricciardo situations).
Original post by quasa
I dont know if it is the jetlag I have or what but I slept through most of the race, only saw the 1st stint till Vettel's pit stop and the last 3 laps. I knew once the 1st few laps were done that Hamilton would win (looked supreme today) but am curious to know why / how Verstappen finished 3rd (was it another Ferrari strategy blunder due to safetycars)

Also glad to see my boy Charles in the points again this race, I have a suspicion if he does well, he will be replacing grosjean at haas next year with a view on 2021 at Ferrari (depends really on Raikkonen, Vettel and Ricciardo situations).

Ocon stopped causing a VSC. Vettel pitted during it and had a slow pit stop, so Max jumped him.
Original post by Andrew97
Ocon stopped causing a VSC. Vettel pitted during it and had a slow pit stop, so Max jumped him.

Ok (5.6 seconds right?). Also what happened to kimi and Ocon?
I read kimi had a PU failure over the weekend. was this a recurrance?

Re: Tyres - does anyone else feel that the tyre changes made for this weekend feel like that which occured in 2013?
(2013 - Ferrari started off with fastest car of season with lotus and mercedes also being faster than RB. Due to safety grounds, everyone reverted back to the 2012 spec tyres and RB / Vettel dominated after this temporary change became permanent;
2018: due to safety grounds(which may or may not have been heavily instigated by Mercedes) the reigning champs, who were slower on pace compared to Ferrari and red bull during earlier races, have started enjoying dominance again as the new tyres suited their car more than everyone elses. (prime example, Ferrari and RB had way better tyre management than Merc yet this weekend, the Mercs were better).

As it stands, France and Britain will also have the thinner tyres (translation, hamilton dominance in Silverstone and Paul Riccard) but depending on which camp you are in, you may or may not want these tyres for the rest of the season

In anycase, Monaco I expect to be a red bull lockout in qualiy with the race either a procession or chaotic depending on weather and how the red bulls behave with each other.

Bring on the race after monaco!!!
Original post by Tom191
We've been treated this season in terms of excitement, in a way it was good to get a duller race to see the pace of the teams in a race not messed up by a safety car.

If we thought the Force India drivers were wasting their fastest ever car last season, I dunno how to even describe what Grosjean is doing right now to what still appears to be the 4th fastest car atm.

It seems as though Hartley and Grosjean are having a race to see who can be the first to get sacked, with Vandoorne not too far behind (although to be fair to him the main reason for his question marks is the comprehensive beating he is currently receiving from Alonso)

Read somewhere that Grosjean span in every session this weekend, can someone confirm this loooool.

It seems the pace of Williams and Force India at Baku was only because of the long straight rather than a permanent thing. I'm not sure if Mercedes are really that quick though - in qualifying on most other tracks Ferrari has been on top. I would say the Mercedes is fastest in good conditions, but far more sensitive.

Reminds me of the time when I tried to get fired as quickly as possible in the F1 2017 game. Grosjean is just not doing well enough right now - maybe he's been influenced by his ex team-mate at Lotus. In my opinion, Hartley just isn't cut out for F1 - he's consistently slower than Gasly and nearly caused a horrific accident with him in Q1 at Baku. Wehrlein or Kvyat deserve that seat more than he does.
Original post by quasa
Ok (5.6 seconds right?). Also what happened to kimi and Ocon?
I read kimi had a PU failure over the weekend. was this a recurrance?

Re: Tyres - does anyone else feel that the tyre changes made for this weekend feel like that which occured in 2013?
(2013 - Ferrari started off with fastest car of season with lotus and mercedes also being faster than RB. Due to safety grounds, everyone reverted back to the 2012 spec tyres and RB / Vettel dominated after this temporary change became permanent;
2018: due to safety grounds(which may or may not have been heavily instigated by Mercedes) the reigning champs, who were slower on pace compared to Ferrari and red bull during earlier races, have started enjoying dominance again as the new tyres suited their car more than everyone elses. (prime example, Ferrari and RB had way better tyre management than Merc yet this weekend, the Mercs were better).

As it stands, France and Britain will also have the thinner tyres (translation, hamilton dominance in Silverstone and Paul Riccard) but depending on which camp you are in, you may or may not want these tyres for the rest of the season

In anycase, Monaco I expect to be a red bull lockout in qualiy with the race either a procession or chaotic depending on weather and how the red bulls behave with each other.

Bring on the race after monaco!!!

Kimi was driveshaft I think. His PU was replaced Friday night. Ocon had an engine failure.

In 2013 the Ferrari, Lotus and Force India were good on the tyres. Then they were changed after Silverstone due to punctures and Red Bull (well Vettel) dominated, with Grosjean posing an occasional challenge.
Mercedes are better on high speed circuits than low speed as well and have dominated Spain recently. The last time they weren’t on pole there was 2012.
Original post by TheMindGarage
It seems the pace of Williams and Force India at Baku was only because of the long straight rather than a permanent thing. I'm not sure if Mercedes are really that quick though - in qualifying on most other tracks Ferrari has been on top. I would say the Mercedes is fastest in good conditions, but far more sensitive.

Reminds me of the time when I tried to get fired as quickly as possible in the F1 2017 game. Grosjean is just not doing well enough right now - maybe he's been influenced by his ex team-mate at Lotus. In my opinion, Hartley just isn't cut out for F1 - he's consistently slower than Gasly and nearly caused a horrific accident with him in Q1 at Baku. Wehrlein or Kvyat deserve that seat more than he does.

Did you get fired?

Also when the game first came out did you have that glitch where the entire grid had penalties from Austria onwards?
Did you get fired?

Also when the game first came out did you have that glitch where the entire grid had penalties from Austria onwards?

Eventually yes. But I think I could have done it faster because I always made it a point to take my team-mate out which actually improved my reputation because I would finish 19th and my team-mate 20th xD.

I only got the game a few weeks after it was first released so I didn't experience that glitch. A few things do bug me though, such as the Renault R26 using the engine sound of the RB6 which makes it sound like it's doing 18k when on screen it says 20.5k. And of course the sheer number of Maldonados that inhabit the online lobbies.
Eventually yes. But I think I could have done it faster because I always made it a point to take my team-mate out which actually improved my reputation because I would finish 19th and my team-mate 20th xD.

I only got the game a few weeks after it was first released so I didn't experience that glitch. A few things do bug me though, such as the Renault R26 using the engine sound of the RB6 which makes it sound like it's doing 18k when on screen it says 20.5k. And of course the sheer number of Maldonados that inhabit the online lobbies.

I see. I don’t have online so don’t experience that.

Also in my career 1st season at Monaco, it was wet (full wets) but drying, for some reason none of the AI pitted even though I was going 4-5 secs a lap quicker in a Sauber.
I see. I don’t have online so don’t experience that.

Also in my career 1st season at Monaco, it was wet (full wets) but drying, for some reason none of the AI pitted even though I was going 4-5 secs a lap quicker in a Sauber.

Yeah sometimes AI drivers do weird things, like the time a lot of them did a 3-stop at Singapore in a 50% race which was totally dry, or the time they pitted and replaced semi-worn inters (I was probably on about 30% wear at the time) with new ones just a couple of laps before they pitted for dry tyres.

If you're 4-5 seconds quicker per lap in a Sauber, you should probably turn the difficulty up lol. Unless you somehow made your Sauber super OP, like the time I managed to make the Ferrari about 5 seconds per lap faster than all the other cars. I think the two Ferraris 1/2-ed every race until COTA, where I decided that I wanted to enforce some team orders and brake-checked Vettel in order to make him lose his wing and pit (we were probably a lap ahead by then). Ended up completely taking him out xD.
Yeah sometimes AI drivers do weird things, like the time a lot of them did a 3-stop at Singapore in a 50% race which was totally dry, or the time they pitted and replaced semi-worn inters (I was probably on about 30% wear at the time) with new ones just a couple of laps before they pitted for dry tyres.

If you're 4-5 seconds quicker per lap in a Sauber, you should probably turn the difficulty up lol. Unless you somehow made your Sauber super OP, like the time I managed to make the Ferrari about 5 seconds per lap faster than all the other cars. I think the two Ferraris 1/2-ed every race until COTA, where I decided that I wanted to enforce some team orders and brake-checked Vettel in order to make him lose his wing and pit (we were probably a lap ahead by then). Ended up completely taking him out xD.

I was only 4-5 secs faster due to me being on the correct tyre as opposed to the full wet. It wasn’t really a difficulty thing. I was running 15th before I changed to inters.

1) It seems the pace of Williams and Force India at Baku was only because of the long straight rather than a permanent thing.
2) I'm not sure if Mercedes are really that quick though - in qualifying on most other tracks Ferrari has been on top. I would say the Mercedes is fastest in good conditions, but far more sensitive.

1) havent seen the entire spanish GP so cant really comment but the long straight aided williams massively as their car lacks downforce (and drag, which is good for places like Monza or Montreal but an absolute nightmare for monaco, singapore or mexico)

2) combination of factors today...cooler conditions, new type of tyre which is specifically for spain, britain and france (which a lot of people suggest were instigated by merc due to heavy tyre wear in testing and this tyre was designed to address Mercedes' issues) and Hamilton and Bottas being happy, hitting the best setup window

regarding qualifying (and engine power), the situation is a bit weird.

So this year, all components have to last longer (2-3 elements vs 4 from last year) for the power units.

Now the performance figures are supposed to match those from the end of last year (despite less oil burning and designed to last longer) for Renault and Mercedes but Ferrari gained 10hp on their end of season unit

The reason they are fast in quali is because their 062 Power Unit, introduced last year around Malaysia, was in fact more powerful than Mercedes' PU. However due to the sheer reliability issues which cost vettel the championship and Raikkonen podiums, they had to detune the engine. It seems however they sorted out the issues (and supposedly got rid of the 3d printed elements) and gained 10hp vs. the 062. Thus they started the season with the 062EVO engine which is more powerful than the engines in the Renault, Honda and possibly Mercedes.
Original post by quasa
1) havent seen the entire spanish GP so cant really comment but the long straight aided williams massively as their car lacks downforce (and drag, which is good for places like Monza or Montreal but an absolute nightmare for monaco, singapore or mexico)

2) combination of factors today...cooler conditions, new type of tyre which is specifically for spain, britain and france (which a lot of people suggest were instigated by merc due to heavy tyre wear in testing and this tyre was designed to address Mercedes' issues) and Hamilton and Bottas being happy, hitting the best setup window

regarding qualifying (and engine power), the situation is a bit weird.

So this year, all components have to last longer (2-3 elements vs 4 from last year) for the power units.

Now the performance figures are supposed to match those from the end of last year (despite less oil burning and designed to last longer) for Renault and Mercedes but Ferrari gained 10hp on their end of season unit

The reason they are fast in quali is because their 062 Power Unit, introduced last year around Malaysia, was in fact more powerful than Mercedes' PU. However due to the sheer reliability issues which cost vettel the championship and Raikkonen podiums, they had to detune the engine. It seems however they sorted out the issues (and supposedly got rid of the 3d printed elements) and gained 10hp vs. the 062. Thus they started the season with the 062EVO engine which is more powerful than the engines in the Renault, Honda and possibly Mercedes.

I think Mercedes does have the most powerful engine given that the Mercedes-powered customer teams were strong in Baku, but looking at speed-trap data, I think Mercedes generally have more drag than Ferrari. The gap is probably smaller than it used to be.

Never really thought of Mexico as a downforce track. But I suppose the altitude lowers the drag and downforce of the cars so they have to compensate by running more wing.
Did you get fired?

That glitch was so frustrating, would feel pretty pleased to drag the Mclaren to Q2 but then turn up and be 3rd on the grid.

The other gamebreaking glitch at the start was that Codies inexplicably didn't scale down engine wear on 25% career mode races, so my ICE was 90% worn midway through China
Spain team by team review:

Toro Rosso: Seems a good place to start. Hartley's crash was scary and he was lucky to be able to race. Kudos to the mechanics. Other than that, I don't remember him doing anything in the race. Pierre Gasly must think somebody is against him right now. He was nearly launched in the Caspian sea twice at Baku and was taken out the start by a wayward Grosejan. The car in his hands seems to be decent.

Williams: The only other non point scoring team. Stroll is making a habit of getting a good start, this could help them at Monaco. But he was too slow to react after the VSC. It is also worrying that he was slower that one armed bandit Kubica in FP1. Sirotkin was useless on Sunday, miles behind the rest. He did have seat problems.

Sauber. A good race by the Swiss team, Leclerc scoring more points, but could have been more if he was more on it at the VSC restart. However, he did well to keep Nando behind him for so long. These early points will help Sauber in battling Williams and Toro Rosso. Erricson was unlucky at the start, but did a great job in defending against Sainz. The guy is hard to overtake as he has shown before in the past (Vs Massa in Canada 2015). Monaco should be interesting for the team.

Force India: Not much to say about these guys really, Ocon was having a good race (despite being mugged by Nando at the restart) until his pit-stop. He was on the points. Perez meanwhile had a quiet race, not doing much until the end. It should be noted he costed Vettel a podium for the 2nd race in a row. I think Monaco will be tough for them, 4th in the constructors will be a challenge.

McClaren: Was expecting to be talking about these guys a bit later in the review. The car is better, with Nando making q3. They both lost out at the start with Waffles being forced off and Nando skating around t3 (which actually helped in the end). After this, Nando was opportunist at restarts taking Ocon and Leclerc. Vandoorne meanwhile was having a decent race and could have picked up that final point if things had fallen his way. The team is doing a Force India 2017, consitently picking up points. 4th is a possibility.

Renault: Hulkenburg was unlucky, both in Qualy and the race. He never had a chance against a spinning Grosjean. He has however been the better Renault driver this year. Sainz drove a solid race, only really hampered when trying to pass an agressive Erricson. These points will help Renault in the battle for 4th. Both cars in the points would be ideal, this is something they are clearly capable of. The car is a decent one with an ok engine.

Haas: Grosjean... what was that? He was spooked by Kmag and caused a huge crash which could have been so much worse, no points in 5 races in the 4th best car is not something to the proud of. Kmag entered under a cloud for trying to launch Gasly into orbit in Baku and for his incident with a Sauber in practice. He's not a car you want to approach on track. Thank god nobody was near him all race then, good race for the Dane. Did what he needed and picked up a 6th when Kimi retired. Haas need both cars in the points however to challenge those ahead.

Ferrari: Well that was a fail. You could clearly that from Bottas V Vettel, Ricciardo V Max, Max V Kimi, and Hamilton V Max that overtaking was tricky at the front. Yet they force Vettel to do it to come second. On top of this a slow pitstop meant he dropped behind Max. Also the car was not great on it tyres which never helps. Reliability also seems to be an issue, with Kimi having his issue. He could have nicked that final podium spot.

Red Bull: An odd race for them. Stuck behind Kimi at the start, but not fast enough to be all over him. Then Kimi retired and got out of the way allowing them to speed up, and stay within the pit window of Vettel. Max was lucky the Ferrari Pitstop was bad to enable him to gain 3rd. Clumsy with Stroll, although the Williams was seeming to get in the way. He did well however to hang on given his Front wing. Danny had good pace at times, but was slower than Kmag on other laps. Also his ametuerish mistake cost him a chance on Vettel. (I also feel this went unnoticed, which would not have been the case with Max)

Mercedes: Hamilton was dominant, drove away at the start and was not seen again. Bottas could have been a bit better at the start, but could not have done much more. A slow stop cost him the chance to jump Vettel early, he kept calm however and put his foot down when needed. He could be a good wingman, or even a contender.
I will do my Monaco preview tomorrow. Still trying to decide my classic race. I have it narrowed down to 4 or 5.
I will do my Monaco preview tomorrow. Still trying to decide my classic race. I have it narrowed down to 4 or 5.

Of the ones I've watched in full, 1996 was probably my favourite. Can't imagine a race like that happening ever again...
So apparently the new hypersofts will be able to do 77 laps at the weekend :s-smilie:
Original post by Tom191
So apparently the new hypersofts will be able to do 77 laps at the weekend :s-smilie:

Yeah, it's ridiculous. Surely it can't be too difficult to artificially make them less durable? At this rate we'll be seeing a choice between ultrahypersofts, hyperultrahypersofts and ultrahyperultrahypersofts next year.
Yeah, it's ridiculous. Surely it can't be too difficult to artificially make them less durable? At this rate we'll be seeing a choice between ultrahypersofts, hyperultrahypersofts and ultrahyperultrahypersofts next year.

I think the problem we have is that as soon as Pirelli May three that wear, people starting moaning at them. In all honestly Pirelli can’t win.
I think the problem we have is that as soon as Pirelli May three that wear, people starting moaning at them. In all honestly Pirelli can’t win.

True. But I (and probably most fans as well) would much rather see three-stop races than what is effectively going to be a zero-stop race with one forced stop which doesn't even matter much strategy-wise since tyre wear is a non-issue.

Most teams will probably just wait for the safety car. It appears the fate of the entire race is in the hands of Grosjean.

Latest