Turn on thread page Beta

Is Rome boring? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey!Just wanted to ask.. Is Rome actually boring? Me and my boyfriend are thinking of a place to travel in July (rome/paris/barcelona) however I'm a bit concerned on choosing rome. We are 20 years old and not extreeemely excited about history. Rome is always presented as a place like that but also very romantic. We do want to have fun though relax and enjoy summer. Just want your views guys..Thankssss
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hero_Lou)
    Hey!Just wanted to ask.. Is Rome actually boring? Me and my boyfriend are thinking of a place to travel in July (rome/paris/barcelona) however I'm a bit concerned on choosing rome. We are 20 years old and not extreeemely excited about history. Rome is always presented as a place like that but also very romantic. We do want to have fun though relax and enjoy summer. Just want your views guys..Thankssss
    I enjoy Rome and it certainly isn't boring, but If the historical aspect isn't of much interest to you I would personally rather go for Barcelona of the three you've picked.

ReputationRep:
    The history is what makes Rome fun :cry2:
    But if it's not your thing then I'd personally go for Spain over France
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Rome if amazing if you want to visit historical places and learn more about christianity and the catholic church

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but I prefer places such as Florence, Turin and Como

ReputationRep:
    Boring? You do know Rome once used to be the capital of an empire that ruled almost the whole of Europe and parts of Africa and the Middle East?
    But if you aren't interested in History then maybe Spain or Paris might be good options

ReputationRep:
    im not a major history person but i really enjoyed rome.
    worst comes to worst there are loads of fab gelato places, and plenty of good food

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hirsty97)
    Yes, but I prefer places such as Florence, Turin and Como
    Yessss

So much better than Rome.

ReputationRep:
    Amazing ancient places make Rome – Rome… you can’t erase all those cathedrals and Roman forums along with the Colosseum… does their presence bother you or what? You can just walk around, feeling its special atmosphere. No one forces you to learn the history of Rome or join a group of boring tourists. It’s a vibrant city where the majority of young people are not history geeks. Apparently, you can find some “modern” entertainment in the capital of Italy. Barcelona’s architecture is more eccentric and surreal, but it’s also historical, same as Paris.

Probably, you dislike old black and white movies as well, but if you don’t, try watching “Roman Holiday” starring Audrey Hepburn – it might evoke your inner romantic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel.Scribbler)
    Amazing ancient places make Rome – Rome… you can’t erase all those cathedrals and Roman forums along with the Colosseum… does their presence bother you or what? You can just walk around, feeling its special atmosphere. No one forces you to learn the history of Rome or join a group of boring tourists. It’s a vibrant city where the majority of young people are not history geeks. Apparently, you can find some “modern” entertainment in the capital of Italy. Barcelona’s architecture is more eccentric and surreal, but it’s also historical, same as Paris.

Probably, you dislike old black and white movies as well, but if you don’t, try watching “Roman Holiday” starring Audrey Hepburn – it might evoke your inner romantic.
    I am actually really romantic. I do wonna go to Rome but the atmosphere seems amazing for a winter break and not that much for summer time when yoj want to have fun. However I will look for more info about it

ReputationRep:
    I went to the colisuem in Rome, went to go see the tower of pisa (not in rome)....i saw several tourist places, all pretty pricey, however you can also party in rome quite nicely, just go to a bar and they will direct you to the clubs, I went to a local club with an american i met randomly, *im american too* we got extremely drunk and down with the locals it was quite fun lol.

ReputationRep:
    Probably wouldn't go to Rome in the absolute middle of summer unless I had to.

You won't be able to move for other tourists, ie expensive hotels, really long queues for attractions and busy streets. It'll also be unbearably hot for a city break, 30 degrees at the very least at midday in July, often creeping up towards 35+. You'll have to resist the temptation to dress for the summer if you want to visit churches (everyone goes into St Peter's + the Sistine).

Less immersive potential as many Romans will be on holiday, but admittedly August is the month where the local stuff really shuts down.

Rome is a wonderful place, but if you're coming from the UK it's much better to go in the spring or autumn. Would definitely sooner go somewhere right by the sea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Probably wouldn't go to Rome in the absolute middle of summer unless I had to.

You won't be able to move for other tourists, ie expensive hotels, really long queues for attractions and busy streets. It'll also be unbearably hot for a city break, 30 degrees at the very least at midday in July, often creeping up towards 35+. You'll have to resist the temptation to dress for the summer if you want to visit churches (everyone goes into St Peter's + the Sistine).

Less immersive potential as many Romans will be on holiday, but admittedly August is the month where the local stuff really shuts down.

Rome is a wonderful place, but if you're coming from the UK it's much better to go in the spring or autumn. Would definitely sooner go somewhere right by the sea.
    I come from Cyprus so our summer is like 40 degrees ..not worried about weather.. Okay.. and does it have nightlife?

ReputationRep:
    Rome is not for you, Rome is more laidback historic. However I'd say of those Barcelona is better...it's less 'boring' and there's more things to do in Barcelona that'd probably suit your tastes.

ReputationRep:
    I come from Cyprus so our summer is like 40 degrees ..not worried about weather.. Okay.. and does it have nightlife?
    It does. Testaccio is the "clubbing" district, head to Piramide metro and listen for the music. There's also more of a studenty district in the gap south east of Termini and south of the Sapienza Università.

Fair enough re coming from Cyprus... I've been there in August and experienced your wonderful summer first hand. But be aware that it's not the heat on its own that makes Rome less pleasant, it's the combination with the activity on offer. Given its historical interest most Rome itineraries include a lot of walking and standing around in the beating sun. In the summer you have the extra people to factor in.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I don't think it would be too boring as long as you're somebody(s) who's interested in culture, sightseeing, history etc.
    There are loads of different lots of ruins littered around including the Pantheon, Collosseum, Crypts and a cute little cat sanctuary inside a lot of ruins. It's also near Pompeii so you could stay in a hotel there for a night or something and look around the ruins and go up Vesuvius. There's also some interesting restaurants and shops including Hard Rock and other sights to see.

My bf and I went to Rome for a week. We're not massive history buffs or anything, but we really enjoyed it. We spent most of the time in an apartment in Rome heading out to a different sight each day and then went to Pompeii for a night or two at the end of the trip to visit the town and go up Vesuvius. One of my favourite holidays.

Definitely something I would suggest.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I’ve been living in Rome for 2 years and I would not recommend to anyone coming here in July. The heat is unbearable, during the summer months I either travel somewhere else or stay home in the AC. The streets are overcrowded and you will have to stay in line and probably under the sun to visit the museums and monuments. It’s really a nightmare. Besides, the nightlife in Rome is quite boring and uninspiring, people just don’t have fun, they lack the energy and the careless you see in other countries. You can put David Guetta playing at a club and people still won’t dance, they just stare with their sad faces. Ugh. Really, Rome is an interesting city to visit, but if you want to have fun, specially in the summer, go somewhere else.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If you two want to relax and enjoy the summer, the best is to go to a beach. From this view, Barcelona would be the better choice. See that you created this thread almost four weeks ago, so maybe my reply is a bit too late.

ReputationRep:
    We are 20 years old and not extreeemely excited about history.
    98% of Rome's biggest attractions are basically (in some shape or form) historical ones.

1. Sights: Masses of Roman & Medieval+ history (the Colosseum, Trajan's Markets & Column, endless fountains, cathedrals, famous crypts etc), the place has a lot of art, architecture, history & culture.

2. Night life: There is very little in the way of night clubs, but there are a lot of small cosy pubs/bars all over the place.

3. Food: Absolutely amazing! Prepared to gain a few pounds if you like ice cream, pizza or pasta (because this city has some of the best food in the world!).

4. Shopping: A LOT of tourist shops, restaurants/cafes and small clothes shops. If you like fashion, there are some really big fashion brands (Gucci etc)that have outlets in the city.

5. People: Friendly enough...The city is suffering a breakneck amount of tourists and migrants (many of whom are illegal). Not everyone local welcomes the tourism/tourists. Even in the middle of winter, the crowds can be so thronging that top attractions (like the Colosseum) still have long queues to get in etc.
    I would definitely recommend going during an off-peak time of the year (such as January).

In Rome you will find a LOT of people (mostly African migrants) trying to sell (sometimes quite aggressively!) you junk (selfie sticks, cheap jewelry etc) and there are a lot of beggars (mostly Syrian refugees and Romanian gypsies etc) on the streets. Getting to tourist attractions often means repeatedly running gauntlets of crowds of tourists and people trying (in some shape or form) to get your money. Socially the city is very strained because many of the local residents feel that they cannot cope with the huge influx of tourists, African migrants and refugee's etc (more than half a million new people have come to live in the crowded city in less than 2 years).
    For local residents tourism is very much a love-hate thing (tourism generates a huge amount of wealth for the city but it also creates a lot of problems).

I would say that Rome is a safe enough place (though when we went there in 2016 there was a strong military presence on the streets due to recent terrorism/ISIS incident fears), but that if you're looking for a place where you can peacefully stroll along quaint little streets and share quiet romantic candlelit dinners etc together, then you are better off going to a less populated & tourist mobbed part of Italy (as there are many places in Italy which have all the beauty & fine dining etc of Rome but minus half of the crowds).

We do want to have fun though relax and enjoy summer. Just want your views guys..Thankssss
    I would seriously not recommend going to Rome in the Summer for you will barely be able to breath for the sheer amount of people in the city.

ReputationRep:
    thank you guys.. we booked for paris.. but we're probably going before the next christmas😁

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.