The Student Room Group

EU student with MA

Hi there!

I graduated in Poland with a Master Degree and now I would like to change my field and finish studies in the UK. Studies in Poland are unpaid so it wasn't a problem to graduate there, but in the UK its expensive and I can't afford to pay on my own. Here I would like to ask if I'm eligible for some form of funding, because I found information, that I can't go for that if I have already master degree. I have one, but not form the UK.

Thanks for the help!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Esmgrind
Hi there!

I graduated in Poland with a Master Degree and now I would like to change my field and finish studies in the UK. Studies in Poland are unpaid so it wasn't a problem to graduate there, but in the UK its expensive and I can't afford to pay on my own. Here I would like to ask if I'm eligible for some form of funding, because I found information, that I can't go for that if I have already master degree. I have one, but not form the UK.

Thanks for the help!

SFE don’t fund qualifications that are equal or below the level you already hold.

There’s some exceptions - what course are you hoping to study?
Reply 2
That's a pity. I'm planning to study MA in another field, or graduate / postgraduate diploma.
That's a pity. I'm planning to study MA in another field, or graduate / postgraduate diploma.

Hi Esmgrind,

Can you advise what subject is the postgraduate qualification that you are looking to undertake?

Thanks Rona
Reply 4
Hi, I would like to study graphic design or closely related field.
Hi, I would like to study graphic design or closely related field.

Hi Esmgrind,

Thank you for that information.

Student Finance will not fund another qualification where you already hold a higher or equivalent level qualification unless it was an exception course.

Thanks Rona
Reply 6
Thank you for your answer. Btw. what are exception courses?
Thank you for your answer. Btw. what are exception courses?

Hi Esmgrind,

There are exception courses for example, but graphic design would not be an exception course,

New full-time students (this does not apply to part-time students) who already hold an equivalent or higher level qualification will be eligible for Maintenance Loan support (as well as Supplementary Grants and/or DSA support if applicable) if their new course leads to a qualification as a:

- Medical Doctor
- Dentist
- Veterinary Surgeon
- Architect
- Social Worker
- Teaching qualification where student is awarded QTS (more than two years in length eg hons degree courses)

Regards Rona
Reply 8
Ok, thank you for help Rona!

Quick Reply

Latest