Who would you hire? Internal or External?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Just wondering as to how recruitment works. Like if you have two candidates applying for a job. Let's say a managerial position for example within a restaurant - like Supervisor.

Candidate A has X years experience within the company with little to none of the managerial experience. However has been trained in all of the restaurant operations, and previous managers felt as though the candidate was ready for the next stage - of taking on a Supervisor position.

And candidate B is an external candidate. With absolutely no knowledge/experience within the company, however, has experience in being a Supervisor within past restaurants.

Who would you go with and why?
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A : Lack of management exp isn't so much of an issue if me and others already think they have the potential. The outside candidate might bring management exp but totally the wrong kind.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
A : Lack of management exp isn't so much of an issue if me and others already think they have the potential. The outside candidate might bring management exp but totally the wrong kind.
So would you say, it would come down to the personality of the candidates?
HT2412
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'd want someone who had the potential to be a leader. If I felt the experienced candidate wouldn't be a good fit for the staff team in place and for the business as I whole she wouldn't be appointed.

Experience is important, but not the most important thing imo. Potential is.
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So would you say, it would come down to the personality of the candidates?
Not so much, more the skills. I already know the employee that works for me has the exact skills I want, the candidate from the outside is a bigger gamble, i'm relying on 3rd hand information about them really. I would only be seeking outside management candidates if I had no choice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (277)
15.42%
Uncertainty around my education (281)
15.65%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (178)
9.91%
Isolating with family (127)
7.07%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (80)
4.45%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (150)
8.35%
Loneliness (177)
9.86%
Financial worries (74)
4.12%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (165)
9.19%
Exposure to negative news/social media (128)
7.13%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (159)
8.85%

Watched Threads