The Student Room Group

[URGENT] Stuck between a rock and a hard place :S

Hey lads and lassies g'day to y'all.

Basically I applied to one university that I really liked and could picture myself in, Exeter. I applied to an extremely easy to get into - close university Portsmouth which with no ego or anything I feel like i'm better than that (they require a 2 passes in any a-level subjects:s) but I think when result day comes I might ask to get a scholarship or funding if I decide to go there ? ? ?. And for the remaining 3 choices I applied to places I had no research on but kinda liked on of them being Lancaster.

Anyways, offers are back and I have whittled it down to 3 uni's Exeter, Lancaster and Portsmouth. Lancaster is slightly more demanding in terms of grades, Portsmouth is easy peasy and maybe scholarship/funding, lastly Exeter is kinda the middle-ground, being realistically achievable grades.

My parents want me to go to Portsmouth as it is close by, and I won't have to pay any accomadation if I go there.

Exeter is 3 hours away, so maybe not coming home every week or 2 weeks but at the end of every half-term ish?

Lancaster is bloody 7 hours away and to be honest it throws me right off, I am not comfortable going so far up north, however it does have good reviews.

My brain tells me to do Exeter as the firm choice and Portsmouth as my insurance, but like I said I don't really want to go to Portsmouth and can't picture myself amongst those type of people (don't judge), unless they literally paid me. Do you think I would be better off doing Exeter firm, Lancaster insurance (even though slightly higher grades) so if I do not get into Exeter, I won't get into Lancaster either and will have to go through clearing. Also if I don't get into Exeter and do for Portsmouth as my insurance do I have to go there? I am now considering the possibility of another university such as Sussex or Southampton.

What do you think I should do? The UCAS deadline on confirming choices is the end of the month I believe so I really need to make a decision. ANY input would be GREATLY appreciated, i'm in agony overthinking this and need a fellow student's thoughts and opinions, with everything being weighted and balanced.
Original post by D7E
Hey lads and lassies g'day to y'all.

Basically I applied to one university that I really liked and could picture myself in, Exeter. I applied to an extremely easy to get into - close university Portsmouth which with no ego or anything I feel like i'm better than that (they require a 2 passes in any a-level subjects:s) but I think when result day comes I might ask to get a scholarship or funding if I decide to go there ? ? ?. And for the remaining 3 choices I applied to places I had no research on but kinda liked on of them being Lancaster.

Anyways, offers are back and I have whittled it down to 3 uni's Exeter, Lancaster and Portsmouth. Lancaster is slightly more demanding in terms of grades, Portsmouth is easy peasy and maybe scholarship/funding, lastly Exeter is kinda the middle-ground, being realistically achievable grades.

My parents want me to go to Portsmouth as it is close by, and I won't have to pay any accomadation if I go there.

Exeter is 3 hours away, so maybe not coming home every week or 2 weeks but at the end of every half-term ish?

Lancaster is bloody 7 hours away and to be honest it throws me right off, I am not comfortable going so far up north, however it does have good reviews.

My brain tells me to do Exeter as the firm choice and Portsmouth as my insurance, but like I said I don't really want to go to Portsmouth and can't picture myself amongst those type of people (don't judge), unless they literally paid me. Do you think I would be better off doing Exeter firm, Lancaster insurance (even though slightly higher grades) so if I do not get into Exeter, I won't get into Lancaster either and will have to go through clearing. Also if I don't get into Exeter and do for Portsmouth as my insurance do I have to go there? I am now considering the possibility of another university such as Sussex or Southampton.

What do you think I should do? The UCAS deadline on confirming choices is the end of the month I believe so I really need to make a decision. ANY input would be GREATLY appreciated, i'm in agony overthinking this and need a fellow student's thoughts and opinions, with everything being weighted and balanced.

The earliest deadline for picking firm/insurance choices is in early May (not the end of March). So first off relax. Use your Easter holiday to go visiting (both your 3 offers but also the other places you’re considering - are either of them in extra for your course?).
depending on your parents income you might find both Lancaster and Exeter might poffer financial support so look into that before deciding.

A few years ago I visited both when my son was making his decision. Both are excellent universities and visiting would be a very good start to help you decide. Exeter has the advantage in being nearing to the city centre. Lancaster was a bus ride away. From memory I believe the accommodation in Lancaster was cheaper so that is something you might want to check out. It is unlikely you will be going home very often from either so distance isnt a major factor. Once you are there it doesnt really matter how far you are from home. It is normal for parents to worry when a child goes away for the first time. We certainly did. It is not unusual for students to initially suffer home sickness. This is usually overcome by staying for the first semester rather than going home. Other parents have advised me their children also had this problem and this is how they and my son overcame it.

If you dont want to go to to Lancaster or Portsmouth you could use Exeter as your firm choice and no insurance. You could then apply through clearing if you dont meet the grades. Check out whether Southampton or Sussex still have places and whether they are likely to be in clearing for your subject and what grades they require. You could also apply through clearing for Portsmouth if they have spaces available.

As stated previously contact Exeter and Lancaster universities and arrange visits then come to your decision. It might be worth taking your parents with you as that might allay their fears.

Finally it isnt usual for Exeter's grades to be any lower than Lancaster. However they do make lower contextual offers if your school's a level results for the previous year were in the bottom 40% and I suspect your offer is probably the contextual offer.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest