The Student Room Group

ocr alevel physics textbook q thats giving me trouble

So here's the question:
"a uniform cylinder has a height 10cm and diameter 3cm. The cylinder is placed with its circular base resting on a horizontal table. Calculate the maximum angle through which it can tip before it continues to fall by itself."

I've checked the answer but it doesn't make sense :///

Can someone please give a lil step by step for working it out and why you're doing each step??

Thanks.
Something will tip when it's centre of mass lies outside of its base. That's why when leaning over in a chair, you will eventually tip of you lean back far enough. For this question, find the location of the centre of mass of the cylinder. Draw the limit case, i.e. cylinder in a leaning orientation with the centre of mass directly vertically above the tipping point. Use the geometry of the circle given and some trigonometry to work out the limit case angle. If you exceed this angle it would tip over.
Original post by suhaylpatel786
Something will tip when it's centre of mass lies outside of its base. That's why when leaning over in a chair, you will eventually tip of you lean back far enough. For this question, find the location of the centre of mass of the cylinder. Draw the limit case, i.e. cylinder in a leaning orientation with the centre of mass directly vertically above the tipping point. Use the geometry of the circle given and some trigonometry to work out the limit case angle. If you exceed this angle it would tip over.

How do you find out the lengths of the triangle to calculate the maximum angle? (I know you do tan1.5/5 but why?) Also what if the question said minimum?

Latest