The Student Room Group

Need Help choosing UK Uni as an Indian

Hello my friends ,
I am Kirat Alreja , from India. I have given my 12th grade exams this month and I await my result . Back in Jan , I applied to 5 Uk Uni's for BSc Computer Science with Year in industry .
Thankfully , I got offers from all 5. Here are the uni's i applied to -
1.University of Bath
2.University of Essex
3.Manchester Metropolitan University
4.Nottingham Trent University
5.University of Kent

I am in a lot of confusion regarding what to go with . Option 2,3and 4 have similar fee which option 1 and 5 are more expensive.

Bath is the highest ranked among all , and of course is the most expensive uni.

MY uncle lives in Burton upon trent , UK . So Manchester met and nottingham are closest uni's to him , which i prefer.

But , regardless of anything else , I seek the best quality education and student life - because if i were to compromise on any of those two , I might as well study in my own country.

To be noted - I want to move to UK for my undergrad , and I will return back to India after 4 years.

14-15gbp per year is manageable for me but anything higher than that is to be thought for twice.

ANy advice?
14k-15k GBP is going to be just your tuition fees. You have to take into account living costs , food , travelling , night outs etc. The estimated cost per year would be somewhere around 20k GBP wherever you go.
Of the lot , imo , Manchester Met and Kent are the best uni choices you have. Good cities and great universities. Costs will be slightly lower in Canterbury as compared to Manchester.
If you have any more questions , feel free to hmu.
-Abhishek
Original post by kiratalreja
Hello my friends ,
I am Kirat Alreja , from India. I have given my 12th grade exams this month and I await my result . Back in Jan , I applied to 5 Uk Uni's for BSc Computer Science with Year in industry .
1.University of Bath
2.University of Essex
5.University of Kent

I am in a lot of confusion regarding what to go with . Option 2,3and 4 have similar fee which option 1 and 5 are more expensive.

MY uncle lives in Burton upon trent , UK . So Manchester met and nottingham are closest uni's to him , which i prefer.

But , regardless of anything else , I seek the best quality education and student life - because if i were to compromise on any of those two , I might as well study in my own country.

To be noted - I want to move to UK for my undergrad , and I will return back to India after 4 years.

14-15gbp per year is manageable for me but anything higher than that is to be thought for twice.

ANy advice?

The reason Bath and Kent are the most expensive is they are the highest ranked and probably most popular. To be honest only you can make a decision taking into account costs. However Bath is your best option purely from an academic perspective
Reply 3
Thanks for your suggestions!
Not all UK universities are considered equally, and Bath will definitely be seen as a better uni, at least by UK employers. However, Bath is an expensive city to live in, and might not offer you the student experience you want. Nottingham Trent is seen as a sort of "up and coming" university, and Nottingham is a great city which would offer you the full "student experience" so that would be my second pick from your list.
Thanks for your suggestions!

If you wished to you could consider staying with your relatives and travelling into Nottingham Trent an hour each way by train. You would need to consider the train cost and whatever you need to pay your relatives to see if it is cost effective. If you can afford it Bath is clearlyyour best option as it is one of the best universities in the Uk and has excellent connections with employers
Hello my friends ,
1.University of Bath
2.University of Essex
5.University of Kent

ANy advice?

Academically speaking I would definitely go for Bath. However, if you would rather not go for Bath, Manchester is the next best option.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending