The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance at getting into med school?

From the age of about 13 and up I’ve suffered with an undiagnosed medical condition which gave me neurological difficulties (very bad brain fog, lost the ability to read and write), the led to me being unable to attend school for most of secondary school.
However 3 months before GCSEs (march 2017) I began to regain my ability to study! I self studied for 7 GCSEs and got one 8, one 7, one 6, one A and four Bs. My school was unable to offer me the chance to do double or triple science, I did core.
I couldn’t get into any sixth forms to study the subjects I wanted to with these grades, so I am now self studying for chemistry, biology and physics A levels (Predicted A*A*A).
I am also study for an IGCSE triple science, to take this summer.
I play piano, guitar, violin and saxophone. I am also learning French, Spanish and Latin.
I am going to be taking the UKCAT this summer also.
I have lots of good work experience!
I was just wondering if anybody had any advice on what schools would be best to apply to? Or if I would be acceptable as I will have done my GCSEs in different years? Or just any advice would be so greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Original post by Seanna_petrov
From the age of about 13 and up I’ve suffered with an undiagnosed medical condition which gave me neurological difficulties (very bad brain fog, lost the ability to read and write), the led to me being unable to attend school for most of secondary school.
However 3 months before GCSEs (march 2017) I began to regain my ability to study! I self studied for 7 GCSEs and got one 8, one 7, one 6, one A and four Bs. My school was unable to offer me the chance to do double or triple science, I did core.
I couldn’t get into any sixth forms to study the subjects I wanted to with these grades, so I am now self studying for chemistry, biology and physics A levels (Predicted A*A*A).
I play piano, guitar, violin and saxophone. I am also learning French, Spanish and Latin.
I was just wondering if anybody had any advice on what schools would be best to apply to? Or if I would be acceptable as I will have done my GCSEs in different years? Or just any advice would be so greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Thought I answered this already. Puzzling.

Did you get diagnosed and are you better?

Your GCSEs are ok plus you can get your referee to mention the illness and put it in the mit circs form. As a precaution apply to the med schools hat done emphasise GCSE.

A levels without resits is the #1#2 and #3 priority. No resits so you have to give everything.

The only things I can see is Interview prep.

You seem to have the rest covered.

GCSEs in different years is ok.

https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/gcse-requirements-for-medicine/
Reply 2
Thanks

first of all lemmme congratulate you for being able to overcome your condition
secondly i think the school youll definitely get into is like plymouthh, st georges, anglia ruskin,keele etc but yh i did the ukcat last year and i think the tests they have on their website is very helpful~ try at least two before you do the real thing
999tigger thanks for the advice! And no I’m still trying to get a diagnosis, but I’m managing my symptoms much better!
MO49 thank you so much! I will do that!
Reply 5
MO49 thank you so much! I will do that!
no problem i hope you get in!

Quick Reply

Latest