The Student Room Group

Does anyone know anywhere that can help with Vaginismus

I'm 18 and I have had a medical condition the past 2 years called vagainismus; and I have to say, it is one of the worst things imaginable. Despite my boyfriend being supportive and understanding, it still hurts (both physically and mentally) that I am unable to do it with him. My ex of 2 and a half years acted as if he understood, but I've recently found out that he had cheated on me and I've always known deep down that it bothered him.
I've been to the NHS once a month for the past 2 years but I am still unable to fully have sex. And I wonder if there is anywhere that anybody knows that can help to cure this medical condition? Everywhere where I have had a look at is either abroad or down in London, (I'm from Leicester.) If London is a last resort then I would go with it but I don't seem to be getting anywhere with the NHS.
I also wonder how long it has taken people to 'cure' this condition?
Because honest to god, to think that I might not be able to have children because I can't have sex, bothers me a lot. And worrying all the time that my boyfriend might finish with me because of it, isn't helping our relationship at all.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 18 and I have had a medical condition the past 2 years called vagainismus; and I have to say, it is one of the worst things imaginable. Despite my boyfriend being supportive and understanding, it still hurts (both physically and mentally) that I am unable to do it with him. My ex of 2 and a half years acted as if he understood, but I've recently found out that he had cheated on me and I've always known deep down that it bothered him.
I've been to the NHS once a month for the past 2 years but I am still unable to fully have sex. And I wonder if there is anywhere that anybody knows that can help to cure this medical condition? Everywhere where I have had a look at is either abroad or down in London, (I'm from Leicester.) If London is a last resort then I would go with it but I don't seem to be getting anywhere with the NHS.
Because honest to god, to think that I might not be able to have children because I can't have sex, bothers me a lot. And worrying all the time that my boyfriend might finish with me because of it, isn't helping our relationship at all.

Have you looked into seeing someone in your area privately about this? Perhaps ask whoever is treating you at the moment if they have any recommendations
Reply 2
There are many resources and things you can try, I've been with my boyfriend since October and we've only just been able to finally have sex for the first time this month!
Doctors can offer a diagnosis, a pelvic exam (which i refused as the speculum would only make it tighter and worse x) and trainers/dilators.

I went at it alone and me and my partner decided to try and figure it out ourselves.

I brought myself some dilators off amazon, we started off with fingering, built ourselves up, communicated, took it each step at a time and now we're here, granted sex does sometimes hurt a little, but its not bad pain and i can deal with it and still feel pleasure.

dilators may help you, and so may one finger, and eventually two, and so on, however.
It's important to address why you have this issue as it will help you overcome it, if you are unsure therapy can help and so can talking to your partner, trust, patience, and the ability to relax really helps x
Reply 3

The general way of "curing" it is just using a dialator set, basically dildos of different sizes. You start with the smallest one and use it every night if you can. It makes your body get used to it after a while so you can go to a bigger one and so on until you're okay with the actual thing.

There are some trial treatments like Botox. Injecting some Botox stops the muscles from contracting as much so it makes it easier.
Reply 4
Original post by Devify
The general way of "curing" it is just using a dialator set, basically dildos of different sizes. You start with the smallest one and use it every night if you can. It makes your body get used to it after a while so you can go to a bigger one and so on until you're okay with the actual thing.

There are some trial treatments like Botox. Injecting some Botox stops the muscles from contracting as much so it makes it easier.

I've debated having botox but I know that it costs a bomb, (it's like £700 when I had a look online.) I do already use dialators but unfortunately, since I've been on them the past 2 years, I don't seem to be getting anywhere. x
Reply 5
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Have you looked into seeing someone in your area privately about this? Perhaps ask whoever is treating you at the moment if they have any recommendations

Other than the NHS, there isn't realyl anywhere because not alot of people actually know anything about it than the NHS x
Reply 6
Original post by Elektra06
There are many resources and things you can try, I've been with my boyfriend since October and we've only just been able to finally have sex for the first time this month!
Doctors can offer a diagnosis, a pelvic exam (which i refused as the speculum would only make it tighter and worse x) and trainers/dilators.

I went at it alone and me and my partner decided to try and figure it out ourselves.

I brought myself some dilators off amazon, we started off with fingering, built ourselves up, communicated, took it each step at a time and now we're here, granted sex does sometimes hurt a little, but its not bad pain and i can deal with it and still feel pleasure.

dilators may help you, and so may one finger, and eventually two, and so on, however.
It's important to address why you have this issue as it will help you overcome it, if you are unsure therapy can help and so can talking to your partner, trust, patience, and the ability to relax really helps x

I've put the issue down to my ex (the one of 2 years.) He was very pushy when it came to sex, even though he knew I couldn't do it. So basically a bad first sexual experience - the NHS say that can be a cause of vaginismus as well as other causes. When I come to use my dilators, I usually do it alone when I am in my room. But there are times when my boyfriend is there and I have no idea why I get like it, because I don't feel I am worried or uncomfortable around him, but I tighten up. With guys I have dated but not gone out with, its been the same. So I'm assuming that is the underlying problem.
Reply 7
I've debated having botox but I know that it costs a bomb, (it's like £700 when I had a look online.) I do already use dialators but unfortunately, since I've been on them the past 2 years, I don't seem to be getting anywhere. x

There aren't that many other options. It's not something that has had a lot of research into. Generally, you're just given dialators and then Botox is a less known option, usually only offered privately.

The only cheaper option I can suggest is getting some numbing cream safe for that area and continue with the dialators. There is a possibility that the numbing will give your body a little kick to help getting used to penetration.

Quick Reply

Latest