Textbook Recommendations for Highers

Watch this thread
MLM99
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm trying to get an early start for next year; does anyone have any recommendations for Study Guides or Textbooks for the following Highers? I've included the specific units I'm doing where possible.

Business Management
English
History (Migration and Empire, Britain 1851-1951, Germany 1815-1939)
Modern Studies (Democracy, Social Issues, USA)
RMPS

Thank You
TheDevil
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Try see if they have the CGP guides for the topics you are doing.
ellie1964
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I only do 3 out of the 5 highers you’re doing but I’ll recommend what was on my book list.

English - The SQA Close Reading textbook and maybe try and read whatever texts you’re studying over the summer to get a head start?

History - I’ve done Migration and Empire and Britain and for both of those I’d recommend the Higher History Course Notes for extra KU (as you’ll discover, you need a lot more for a higher essay than at Nat 5!). The other textbooks I used were older and supplied by the department and are probably now out of circulation. I also used the Migration and Empire textbook endorsed by the SQA.

Modern Studies - Unless you’re crashing it, I wouldn’t bother buying the Democracy textbook, but the Social Issues one is pretty thorough with lots of examples. The International Issues one also seems pretty good for the USA but it’s much of the same from Nat 5. Hope this is of some help - if not, maybe ask someone in the year above doing similar subjects what they’d recommend, and maybe even ask if you could buy some of their books once they’re done with them!
MLM99
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by ellie1964)
I only do 3 out of the 5 highers you’re doing but I’ll recommend what was on my book list.

English - The SQA Close Reading textbook and maybe try and read whatever texts you’re studying over the summer to get a head start?

History - I’ve done Migration and Empire and Britain and for both of those I’d recommend the Higher History Course Notes for extra KU (as you’ll discover, you need a lot more for a higher essay than at Nat 5!). The other textbooks I used were older and supplied by the department and are probably now out of circulation. I also used the Migration and Empire textbook endorsed by the SQA.

Modern Studies - Unless you’re crashing it, I wouldn’t bother buying the Democracy textbook, but the Social Issues one is pretty thorough with lots of examples. The International Issues one also seems pretty good for the USA but it’s much of the same from Nat 5. Hope this is of some help - if not, maybe ask someone in the year above doing similar subjects what they’d recommend, and maybe even ask if you could buy some of their books once they’re done with them!
Thanks, I've already looked at some of the essay structures for 20 markers in History and Modern so I can tell you are definitely right about it being much tougher. I'm predicted A1s in all the subjects I'm carrying on with to S5 bar RMPS given that we only do compulsory RME in S4, but I don't want to get caught out when we start.

Thanks again.
louise672287
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MLM99)
I'm trying to get an early start for next year; does anyone have any recommendations for Study Guides or Textbooks for the following Highers? I've included the specific units I'm doing where possible.

Business Management
English
History (Migration and Empire, Britain 1851-1951, Germany 1815-1939)
Modern Studies (Democracy, Social Issues, USA)
RMPS

Thank You
I take Business Management and RMPS and for Business Management, the Leckie textbook contains all course notes as long as you get the student book and not past paper book or any of the others they offer. As for RMPS, that is probably the most difficult subject to find a textbook for and I think you'll be fine with just the lessons as the knowledge is very broad and easy to remember even though there is quite a lot to it. As long as you get the answering structure correct you'll be able to manage perfectly well.
leavemeblank
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
For Higher Modies, I found the BrightRed Study Guide really good. For English, I wouldn't say any of the textbooks are good unless they include the texts you're studying. If you're doing a novel study or a drama study, consider getting a study guide for that good because it will be really helpful for critical essays. The Higher RUAE textbook is quite good but I honestly think the best resources for English are free and online, pretty easy to find.

Good luck with your exams!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (8)
21.62%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
8.11%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
10.81%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (4)
10.81%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (8)
21.62%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (10)
27.03%

Watched Threads