Is a joint honours degree a good idea?

Watch
elliephant1158
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
currently thinking about doing English literature and French at uni with most of my time doing English. Is this a bad idea as after uni I'd love to become an English academic?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by elliephant1158)
currently thinking about doing English literature and French at uni with most of my time doing English. Is this a bad idea as after uni I'd love to become an English academic?
It's perfectly fine. If by "English academic" you mean "Literature academic" then if you plan to work on French literature it's clearly a great benefit. Even if not, having a European language for such "humanities" areas as often a lot of influential work (be it literary or critical) came from the continent, and France without a doubt had quite a notable role there in the early 20th Century. Being able to look at the relevant sources in the original language is a great benefit naturally...

If you wanted to work in English Language then it's neither hear nor there - a foreign language might be useful to give you a better appreciation for comparative linguistics generally, but this may not be as relevant for some areas of Eng. Lang, but isn't likely to be any worse than a purely Literature degree (or even a combined Language/Linguistics and Literature course in honesty).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (36)
28.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (11)
8.66%
No I am happy with my choice (71)
55.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (9)
7.09%

Watched Threads