Student Welfare Support at University - Want to do History/History & Politics

Watch
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi All,

I'm currently in Year 12 studying A-Level History, Economics, and Sociology and I want to do History or History/Politics at a top university, preferably Russell Group universities.

I've currently have shortlisted the following universities that I'm considering and I just want to know from current/ex-students what the student welfare support is like at these universities because not only do I want to go to a decent university, I want to go to university where I know I will both succeed and be happy at the same time.

Universities I'm currently considering:
Cambridge (A*AA) History & Politics [Ambitious]York (AAA) History & Politics [Aspirational]
Warwick (AAA/BBB *) History & Politics [Aspirational]
Bristol (AAA/AAB * ) History & Politics [Aspirational]
Lancaster (AAB) History & Politics [Safe/Aspirational]
UCL (AAA) History [Aspirational]

Thanks,
C&P

Gingerbread101 Doonesbury - Any advice?!?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Hi All,

I'm currently in Year 12 studying A-Level History, Economics, and Sociology and I want to do History or History/Politics at a top university, preferably Russell Group universities.

I've currently have shortlisted the following universities that I'm considering and I just want to know from current/ex-students what the student welfare support is like at these universities because not only do I want to go to a decent university, I want to go to university where I know I will both succeed and be happy at the same time.

Cambridge (A*AA) History & Politics [Ambitious]York (AAA) History & Politics [Aspirational]

Thanks,
C&P

Welfare is *generally* pretty good at Cambridge. There's various layers, from your college parents*, your tutor and through to the central DRC and the Counseling Service (depending on the support you need).

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....bridge/support

*Most colleges allocate a couple of Year 2 students (your College mum and dad) to a small group of Freshers (your college siblings) to help the Freshers adjust to university life.

This said, your first year will almost certainly be a rather full-on and intense experience. Nearly everyone finds it daunting and a challenge, but most come through and year 2 a bit easier (even if the workload is actually harder...).
Gingerbread101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Hi All,

Thanks,
C&P

Unfortunately don't have any first hand experience of any of these unis, but I have a few friends at Cambridge - they've said that the workload is very very intense obviously, so there are a lot of people suffering from stress/mental health disorders, so it's a bit more of a common place thing for the uni to deal with. There's pros and cons to that of course, because you'd think it means the support is better, but it also means it'll be in higher demand
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Best thing to do is visit the universities at open days. All of the support services will usually have stands where you can check out what's going on. Go and speak to the people, see what's going on. I remember going rpund the stalls for disability services, and some of them didn't seem particularly interested, they gave the information but were quite unenthusiastic, that said a lot I think.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Best thing to do is visit the universities at open days. All of the support services will usually have stands where you can check out what's going on. Go and speak to the people, see what's going on. I remember going rpund the stalls for disability services, and some of them didn't seem particularly interested, they gave the information but were quite unenthusiastic, that said a lot I think.
Thanks for that MR! I've got 7 universities that I intend to visit on their open day so ofc I will try my best to speak to them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (538)
34.01%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (649)
41.02%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (322)
20.35%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.61%

Watched Threads