The Student Room Group

Owen Smith sacked by Corbyn for calling for another EU Referendum

post removed
(edited 1 year ago)
If you cant tow the party line then dont accept a position on the front bench.
About time too
Good
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
If you cant tow the party line then dont accept a position on the front bench.

Then who will speak for me ? We were told a pack of lies by Johnson and farage, so why should we not demand a second referendum ?
Original post by kingcoal
Then who will speak for me ? We were told a pack of lies by Johnson and farage, so why should we not demand a second referendum ?

We only have to listen once and there was a moment in time where the masses voted to leave.An old tale called democracy.
Reply 6
Original post by Brownies&Ketchup
We only have to listen once and there was a moment in time where the masses voted to leave.An old tale called democracy.

So what are you saying ? that it is okay for the masses to be lied too ? and that is democracy ?
So what are you saying ? that it is okay for the masses to be lied too ? and that is democracy ?

The main concern that lied in the hearts of many brexiteers was immigration. If that means going through hurdles then so be it. I do feel for the Irish and Northern Irish however, as the majority who voted to leave were English. However, the nation has voted. A second referendum would go against, yes, what I would call democracy. People aren't stupid, the aim of having a sovereign independent nation, free from the Belgian hubble, is what Brits wanted, and that is what the government will deliver. A second referendum would go against the notion of having elections in the first place. How many election do we need until the public, according to your view, have been properly made aware of the consequences of leaving the EU. It is true many regret their decision, but that is life, and decisions such as these are set in stone, and shouldn't be deconstructed whenever you feel like it.
Reply 8
The main concern that lied in the hearts of many brexiteers was immigration. If that means going through hurdles then so be it. I do feel for the Irish and Northern Irish however, as the majority who voted to leave were English. However, the nation has voted. A second referendum would go against, yes, what I would call democracy. People aren't stupid, the aim of having a sovereign independent nation, free from the Belgian hubble, is what Brits wanted, and that is what the government will deliver. A second referendum would go against the notion of having elections in the first place. How many election do we need until the public, according to your view, have been properly made aware of the consequences of leaving the EU. It is true many regret their decision, but that is life, and decisions such as these are set in stone, and shouldn't be deconstructed whenever you feel like it.

You put up the argument from your 'leave' point of view, which is fair enough if that is what you beleive, however, I beleive we are losing out by leaving. Many businesses in the kent area cannot recruit labour now the seasonal workers will not be able to do the work and the Brits won't work in the fields, London Hotels cannot recruit workers that immigrant workers did. Japanese car maufacturers have come out and said today, that they are not interested in Britain but more in the EU markets. The British government intends to increase the working weekly hours, and now we will not have the European courts of justice to be able to overule them. We are being led like lemmings over the cliff to poverty. In the Brexit negotiations, what have you acheived ? still immigration coming in, still european fishing quota's, still having to pay into the fund with no voting rights. I did not vote for this, nor did I vote for a Tory government, however, we in Wales get out voted by the majority English vote, but as you say 'That is Life' and I am supposed to accept it, Yeah Right !!

Lol. A 'democracy' where spending rules as completely ignored, particularly by the Tories, Cambridge Analytica and others spent millions manufacturing an environment on social media in order to influence elections. UK politics is completely corrupt, top to bottom.

Also the 'you can't have another referendum, that'd be undemocratic' has got to be the most ridiculous argument ever made...
Original post by mojojojo101
Lol. A 'democracy' where spending rules as completely ignored, particularly by the Tories, Cambridge Analytica and others spent millions manufacturing an environment on social media in order to influence elections. UK politics is completely corrupt, top to bottom.

Also the 'you can't have another referendum, that'd be undemocratic' has got to be the most ridiculous argument ever made...

Totally concur, and the 'masses' referred too, included those who wanted to remain, but who lost by a narrow percentage margin even though the public were blatently lied to by the sycophantic tory press in favour of brexit
(edited 6 years ago)
You put up the argument from your 'leave' point of view, which is fair enough if that is what you beleive, however, I beleive we are losing out by leaving.

Yes you believe that we will be losing out, yet the nation voted to leave. The majority have always and should always win.

Many businesses in the kent area cannot recruit labour now the seasonal workers will not be able to do the work and the Brits won't work in the fields, London Hotels cannot recruit workers that immigrant workers did. Japanese car maufacturers have come out and said today, that they are not interested in Britain but more in the EU markets. The British government intends to increase the working weekly hours, and now we will not have the European courts of justice to be able to overule them.

Yes, Brexit has its downsides as can be clearly seen from the more recent events. So you believe that we'd need the European courts to make rules for us. Part of being a sovereign independent nation is so that we can decide rules for ourselves, with no scrutiny from our European friends. They may criticise, yes, but to overrule a British rules in Britain is just absurd. We are capable of making our own rules on our land.

We are being led like lemmings over the cliff to poverty.

Poverty is an overstatement. Brexit is certainly not going to make Britain poor. Britain is one of the largest economies in the world, and frankly, the EU would also be losing out if we were to leave. It is time to make our stamp on the world, and that does not mean abandoning EU entirely. We will still make deals, and uphold security. I'm not anti-Europe. many values are shared across the channel, but the EU has become a political entity, that, I'm afraid, simply does not work with Portugal/Greece being the same union as Germany. Europe is not the EU, and the EU is not Europe.

In the Brexit negotiations, what have you acheived ? still immigration coming in, still european fishing quota's, still having to pay into the fund with no voting rights. I did not vote for this, nor did I vote for a Tory government, however, we in Wales get out voted by the majority English vote,

We'll have our country back and finally become independent. Immigration has really changed the face of Britain, and what it means to be British. Communities have become divided, children are now being born into a foreign community rather than a British one. Islam has grown, which I have no problem with, but it has grown to an extent where we now have 'Muslim' persons hacking a British soldier in broad daylight. Brexit will, at least, cut immigration, as we can now control who actually comes into the nation as opposed to having the right to move freely. I welcome doctors, nurses, university lecturers, teachers from abroad. European criminals and those that have nothing to contribute, I do not welcome. We can finally differentiate and pay our respects where it is due. There will be problems, but the UK has voted.

Completely corrupt? Really?

Well, if one votes Tory, that's it. You can't simply change your mind and demand a second general election if they don't perform to your taste. That'd be absurd.

A little bit of corruption would be okay would it? Tories broke spending rules at the last general elections, at least one leave campaign broke spending rules in the referendum, ministers, mps and councill leaders get paid vast amounts of money to have dinners with special interests, like Russian billionaires, Saudi princes, arms companies, property developers...

Exactly, the public decided once, it would be quite frankly ridiculous to have more than one election, they decided once, now the people should just live with the Whig party they elected in 1708.
Original post by mojojojo101
A little bit of corruption would be okay would it? Tories broke spending rules at the last general elections, at least one leave campaign broke spending rules in the referendum, ministers, mps and councill leaders get paid vast amounts of money to have dinners with special interests, like Russian billionaires, Saudi princes, arms companies, property developers...

Exactly, the public decided once, it would be quite frankly ridiculous to have more than one election, they decided once, now the people should just live with the Whig party they elected in 1708.

Never said it wasn't , but complete corruption was a tad bit inaccurate.

Well, if you choose Tory and the conservatives win,and change your mind, you're stuck with your decision for 5 years.

The EU referendum was different, where one's decision could last a generation or even for an infinite time period, which is why it was so important. So for argument's sake if a second referendum were to be delivered, you actually think that this time the result would accurately represent the views of Britain. Despite the corruption, people voted in their own will. The public may have been misinformed in some regard, I give you that. The point of democracy is for people to make decisions based on both valid and true information. But the referendum has been done, it is too late to correct these mishaps of the past. All we can do now is make Brexit a success, it is not impossible, just look at Switzerland.
Yes, Brexit has its downsides as can be clearly seen from the more recent events. So you believe that we'd need the European courts to make rules for us.

Yes, rather than rely on corrupt British governments whether they Be Tory or Labour for seeing to fair justice for their people.

Poverty is an overstatement. Brexit is certainly not going to make Britain poor.
What Planet are you on ? Foodbanks have tripled in just the last few years whilst the rich get richer ! Great British Justice right?

It is time to make our stamp on the world

Please tell us how you envisage this happening?, we have no Manufacturing industry any more, our economy is based on a service and banking industry now, and banking will no longer be carried out from London after Brexit

We'll have our country back and finally become independent

Small islander mentality,, -where has our country been ? who took it away from us then , I would expect to read such drivel on the front pages of the Sun or the Express, if you remember it was Britain who applied to join the eu, and has been a major part in all its decision making ever since ?? so where is the logic in your argument ?

we now have 'Muslim' persons hacking a British soldier in broad daylight.

Nothing can justify such terrible things happening, however,I dont hear you mentioning the peaceful muslims mown down at prayer by a british subject, or the acid thrown in peoples faces at nightclubs by British subjects. If you need to raise such incidents to validate a point that you are trying to make, then at least be objective and fair in your choices

There will be problems, but the UK has voted.

You keep repeating this statement, but you are totally incapable of justifying the deceit and lies that went into creating that result. To raise objections to the result based on the lies told to the country is not 'Whinning' as you so eloquently put it, it is a way to try and correct an injustice. The likes of farage and Johnson should be criminally convicted, however, this might go against your view of the Great British Justice, maybe living in Moscow might suit your views better than the UK

Yes, rather than rely on corrupt British governments whether they Be Tory or Labour for seeing to fair justice for their people.

Here we have to disagree. British rules on British land.

What Planet are you on ? Foodbanks have tripled in just the last few years whilst the rich get richer ! Great British Justice right?

Earth. Yes, there are poor people, I don't deny that, but we are and still will be a rather wealthy nation on average. We will not dwindle into poverty if we play our cards right post-Brexit. You may argue that we don't have any cards to play, but that leads to my next point.

Please tell us how you envisage this happening?, we have no Manufacturing industry
anking industry now, and banking will no longer be carried out from London after Brexit

Tightening relations with the commonwealth, plus growing economies with the likes of Brazil, India, China. And who knows? We may need to contribute to the EU budget if we want to receive some of the benefits, yet I just dislike the notion of having Belgium control what we could do ourselves. We are more than capable but it'll take time for certainty to prevail.

Small islander mentality,, -where has our country been ? who took it away from us then , I would expect to read such drivel on the front pages of the Sun or the Express, if you remember it was Britain who applied to join the eu, and has been a major part in all its decision making ever since ?? so where is the logic in your argument ?

The people of Britain had no say whether Britain should join the European Union. They were never asked.

Nothing can justify such terrible things happening, however,I dont hear you mentioning the peaceful muslims mown down at prayer by a british subject, or the acid thrown in peoples faces at nightclubs by British subjects. If you need to raise such incidents to validate a point that you are trying to make, then at least be objective and fair in your choices

I'm sure there are peaceful Muslims. But immigration brings in the opposite side of the coin, and again, it is us that need to suffer from the consequences. THe peaceful Muslims don't cancel out the atrocities. At least we won't have an open border.

Religion divides and make communities stronger, and that is the flaw. It is no longer a British community but communities who hold different ideologies, who in essence, all believe that they've become British, and I guess, in their own right. What a fragmented identity it has become.

You keep repeating this statement, but you are totally incapable of justifying the deceit and lies that went into creating that result. To raise objections to the result based on the lies told to the country is not 'Whinning' as you so eloquently put it, it is a way to try and correct an injustice. The likes of farage and Johnson should be criminally convicted, however, this might go against your view of the Great British Justice, maybe living in Moscow might suit your views better than the UK

I know, because it was the will of the British people. Yes, you may be correct in stating the scandal, and the false statistics that led people to vote for Brexit. But it's too late, either way people wouldn't have known what they were signing themselves up for, and in all honesty, we still do not. The EU is too complex and it would have been too difficult to predict the future. Migration from mainland Europe was the biggest driver, and people who voted for Brexit did not really prioritise the economy, they wanted to cut down migration and were genuinely worried. They could somehow emotionally connect with the likes of Johnson and even Farage (dare I say it) during debates, yet they could not do the same with May and other Bremainers. They wanted to reduce the numbers coming in, at all costs. That was the biggest driver. I'm not saying what they've done is justified (it clearly is not), but migration was the number one priority.
I guess he likes stirring the pot.
Original post by Max Adam
For anybody claiming Brexit is a good idea, please answer this. Just because the population voted for something, by a minute margin, does that necessarily mean that they will have to be listened to, when they have voted based on lies and racism? If the country voted to ban chocolate, using the UK voting system, would that be seen to be something that has to be done, if no young people (who will like chocolate just as much as the voters) ever had the chance to express their opinions? Brexit is an unnecessary disaster for our country!

Actually that is exactly what would happen if we voted to ban chocolate, it’s called democracy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending