What is the hardest A-level?

Watch this thread
bluemuffin
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Some say it’s chemistry (especially of the sciences), but personally I’m not sure. Am about to start a levels next year and was wondering what your opinions are, especially those who have done their a level.
thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Subjective.

I do Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, and enjoy all these subjects thoroughly and find them easier, however I'd die if I did an essay subject, the same argument can be made for the contrary. It's quite hard to quantify since everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. People always say, it's usually Chemistry, take this with a grain of salt though.
spectral_theory
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Ranking my A-levels from hardest to easiest:

Further Maths (Additional)
Chemistry
Physics
Further Maths
Maths
that_guy874
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
It is entirely subjective as said above.

I do Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Philosophy and find that maths is just putting things into your calculator.
Physics is similar to maths except with more graphs and easier calculations.
People say that chemistry is the hardest but to me it's just drawing hexagons with basic equations and a few processes that are quite easy to remember if you have a mindmap or something to help you remember them.

Philosophy, however, is the hardest A-Level for me, the exam technique is very strict and you can only secure 50% of the exam marks from knowing and explaining content, the other 50% comes from the development of your essays which I find quite hard to do.
bluemuffin
Rep:
(Original post by spectral_theory)
Ranking my A-levels from hardest to easiest:

Further Maths (Additional)
Chemistry
Physics
Further Maths
Maths
Why do you rank chemistry as the hardest? I'm doing it next year so just curious to know why
Vertigo_descent
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Whatever you're not very good at will probably be the most difficult/challenging. Objectively A levels which require higher aptitude to perform well on are going to be more difficult but from the subjective perspective of such a person they might seem easy.
spectral_theory
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bluemuffin)
Why do you rank chemistry as the hardest? I'm doing it next year so just curious to know why
It was my second hardest, below AFM. I did OCR Salters B -- I found the technical aspects fairly straightforward, but the applied/industrial stuff quite challenging.
bluemuffin
Rep:
(Original post by TCA2b)
Whatever you're not very good at will probably be the most difficult/challenging. Objectively A levels which require higher aptitude to perform well on are going to be more difficult but from the subjective perspective of such a person they might seem easy.
Of course it depends on what you're good at and what you're not. But what's hardest in your opinion?
Vertigo_descent
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Of course it depends on what you're good at and what you're not. But what's hardest in your opinion?
Of the ones I did, I'd say Physics, and even though I got a high score in it, A level History.
Alexty28
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Some say it’s chemistry (especially of the sciences), but personally I’m not sure. Am about to start a levels next year and was wondering what your opinions are, especially those who have done their a level.
Completely subjective, I only do essay subjects and find subjects like Chemistry impossible. But someone who is really into science who hates essay based subjects might find subjects like History impossible. Really depends on the person, but if I had to make a list of 'hardest' A Levels it would be:

Maths/Further Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
English Lit
History
Languages
Philosophy
Economics
Computer Science

^these are considered to be challenging A Levels, only to be taken by people who are good at these subjects obviously.
Vertigo_descent
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I think Computer Science (not to be confused with ICT), Philosophy and Economics deserve to be up there, too.
mafk80
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
As many others have already mentioned, there is no objective answer to your question.
In my opinion, from all of the sciences that I am taking, Chemistry is the most challenging. This might be attributed to the fact that I am doing Cambridge International Examinations (CIE). My external tutor who predicted my grade told me that CIE A-level Chemistry is significantly harder than other exam boards; he has a PhD in Chemistry and he stated that some of the concepts covered at CIE level Chemistry resemble first year University level material.
bluemuffin
Rep:
(Original post by mafk80)
As many others have already mentioned, there is no objective answer to your question.
In my opinion, from all of the sciences that I am taking, Chemistry is the most challenging. This might be attributed to the fact that I am doing Cambridge International Examinations (CIE). My external tutor who predicted my grade told me that CIE A-level Chemistry is significantly harder than other exam boards; he has a PhD in Chemistry and he stated that some of the concepts covered at CIE level Chemistry resemble first year University level material.
Wow that sounds pretty hard! Thanks – good luck for your exams
_JB_
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Like others said. The question needs to be more specific, like which exam board. Even though I steamrolled through CIE AL Chem, I can understand why it is considered a hard A level. Since I only do CIE, I think CIE AL Furthers Math is a hard A level as well, just that ppl doing the paper usually know what are they doing.
Alexty28
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TCA2b)
I think Computer Science (not to be confused with ICT), Philosophy and Economics deserve to be up there, too.
yeah i'll put those in!
koala789
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
My subjects ranked from easiest to hardest conceptually;
History
Maths
Chemistry
Physics

But in terms of least to most workload;
Physics
Maths
Chemistry
History BY FAR - the workload for this subject is incomparable to my science subjects
The Walking Dead
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Philosophy was my hardest.
username1539513
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I'd say physics personally, chemistry and biology I didn't find too challenging

(Original post by mafk80)
This is true, I've noticed SP hybridisation is covered which is normally encountered in the first year of most chemistry undergraduate courses.
showaeski
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I found chemistry the hardest. Looking back the topics weren’t actually that difficult (although I am doing a chemistry related degree so I would say that) but it was just such a big jump from gcse to a level. Most people in my class struggled, including those who were always top in chemistry. May have also been because we had a very laid back teacher who couldn’t give a f*ck.
blackvoid17
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I don't take it, but art has to be the hardest. It is really difficult to get an A* in art and you can't just revise and easily improve like with other subjects - you actually need artistic talent. Its also incredibly time consuming especially if you're aiming for high grades
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

What is missing from the school curriculum?

Basic life skills (eg. cooking) (14)
28.57%
Financial skills (eg. taxes, budgeting) (24)
48.98%
First aid skills (2)
4.08%
Personal safety skills (1)
2.04%
Sign language (7)
14.29%
Expanded sexual health/relationships (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
2.04%

Watched Threads