The Student Room Group

College or Six-form??

So I have applied to college and my school’s six form, but I’m really torn between where to go after my GCSEs. My school is a great school which I love and is only 20 min from my house, while College is in town. I’m considering going to college however, as I never really gained many friends from school. I barely go out and have very little social experiences. So I’m wondering if going to College will be a better option as I can become more independent and it is a chance gain new experiences. I feel at high school I’m trapped in a bubble and I see other people around me progresses with relationships etc while I only have about two friends who I hang about with and to be honest I strongly dislike both of them. I’ve gone on a tangent here, but basically my school is great and the teachers are too, etc but if choose to continue at six form I feel like nothing will change, like it will be the same people etc. Yet if I choose to go to college this is a big leap and I’ll probably be terrified but can anyone give any advice or experience of what you think I should choose in this situation?
I think you’re focussing in the wrong factors. Ultimately, you need to decide what you want to study or what you want to do in the future. Do you want to study A Levels? Or a vocational qualification? Even if you don’t know what you want to do in the future, you’ve got to consider whether you think you are well-suited to academic studies.

Although having a social life is great, it’s not the priority. After all, there may be new external students coming in to the sixth form that you can become friends with. I certainly know that that was the case in my sixth form. Even if not, there are plenty of other ways to meet people online or in public. Also, if you don’t really like your friends, there’s nothing wrong with going solo, for now at least. Just remember what you want to study is what should make your mind up. Just make sure you’ve visited both and had a look at their courses. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest