The Student Room Group

Started revision way too late, should I just focus on two A-Levels?

I have literally no excuse, I was lazy and procrastinated and now I have about two and a half months left until my first exam and I am sh*tting myself.

I do Biology, English Lit and History. I've never found Bio that difficult (just a long list of set facts, been doing well in class exams), however, History kills me. It's also just a long list of set facts, just a very, VERY long list. I've been getting consistent D's and U's in my mocks and I feel that it's just a lost cause.

English, I normally just bullsh*t and come out OK.

Since there is just so, so much content for History, should I just pour my attention into Biology and English? I'd rather get one A, one mediocre grade and a D than three C's, tbh.
Reply 1
Or just do them all. 2 months is enough if you just study from now to then
Stop going to school on certain days (prioritise)
Wake up early 3 ish or even 2 am so you don't get distracted and sleep early like 9
First, you need to go to the shop and grab a good quality graphite pencil item.

Beyond 0.9mm, the common lead sizes are 1.4mm, 2mm, 3mm, 3.15mm and 5.6mm. The lengths of any particular brand can vary, as at this size the pencil designs vary quite widely.

One that I like very much are the solid graphite pencils. These are solid sticks of graphite and clay composite (as found in a 'graphite pencil'), about the diameter of a common pencil, which have no casing other than a wrapper or label.

Coloured lead is also available, though with fairly limited choices in any particular size/colour combination.
On the exact same page as you, I do History, English Lit and French and I am screwed. Thought two months would be enough time but nope, and like you, I was just lazy and procrastinated. I've heard a lot of stories about people who started revision late however managed to be successful in their exams, which is motivating me a bit. You can definitely revise for all your subjects, just create a strict revision schedule (and stick to it!), and whenever you get lazy and consider procrastinating/giving up, remind yourself why you're forcing yourself to work. I started revision last week and it's painful but it will all be over soon.
Original post by simple123site
Wake up early 3 ish or even 2 am so you don't get distracted and sleep early like 9

Ack, I’ve actually not been in school for two weeks now, and am still getting distracted! It’s shameful.
Original post by alicelmoro2
On the exact same page as you, I do History, English Lit and French and I am screwed. Thought two months would be enough time but nope, and like you, I was just lazy and procrastinated. I've heard a lot of stories about people who started revision late however managed to be successful in their exams, which is motivating me a bit. You can definitely revise for all your subjects, just create a strict revision schedule (and stick to it!), and whenever you get lazy and consider procrastinating/giving up, remind yourself why you're forcing yourself to work. I started revision last week and it's painful but it will all be over soon.

Yeah, I keep telling myself that two months of revision will pay off, but I still find myself slipping, constantly. How are you doing in history? I seriously just want to drop it. Obviously, I won’t, but the temptation is great.
Original post by Anygy
Yeah, I keep telling myself that two months of revision will pay off, but I still find myself slipping, constantly. How are you doing in history? I seriously just want to drop it. Obviously, I won’t, but the temptation is great.

I'm doing really badly, I got a D in my mock, and my coursework is tragic as I did it in two nights (once again due to procrastination). Unfortunately, it's not even my worst subject, my worst is French. I really want to just sit English Lit this year, and then take up two other A Levels next year, because so far it is looking like I am going to fail. Did you apply to university this year?
Completely in the same boat as you and I’m already resisting externally! 😩
i got a 2:1 in my first ever UK history module at university (do business)....it was essay based mainly just do past papers.... should be possible considering i had no history background.
Original post by Anygy
I have literally no excuse, I was lazy and procrastinated and now I have about two and a half months left until my first exam and I am sh*tting myself.

I do Biology, English Lit and History. I've never found Bio that difficult (just a long list of set facts, been doing well in class exams), however, History kills me. It's also just a long list of set facts, just a very, VERY long list. I've been getting consistent D's and U's in my mocks and I feel that it's just a lost cause.

Since there is just so, so much content for History, should I just pour my attention into Biology and English? I'd rather get one A, one mediocre grade and a D than three C's, tbh.

You’ve got enough time at the moment to spread it between your subjects. But, yeah, you can focus on two slightly more without totally neglecting the third.

That being said, I have a friend who took Biology, Chem and History really struggled - Failed all 3 mocks, dropped one and achieved an A and a C. It meant she had to come back for another year to pick up a third a level though.
Reply 11
Original post by simple123site

Probably the most stupid thing I’ve ever heard in my life
Reply 12
You have enough time if you put your head down to it. I had a lot of troubles during my very important exams and took them with only two weeks of revision (4 big modules) and did pretty well, it’s doable if you put the effort in. Good luck
It is still very possible to do well but you will need to be disciplined and revise every day. The best thing to do is just remind yourself that there's not time for regrets and just work.

Omg how are you finding French 😭😭😭 it's one of my favourite subjects but there's SO much work to do 💔 and my speaking is a bloody shambles 😔
I'm doing really badly, I got a D in my mock, and my coursework is tragic as I did it in two nights (once again due to procrastination). Unfortunately, it's not even my worst subject, my worst is French. I really want to just sit English Lit this year, and then take up two other A Levels next year, because so far it is looking like I am going to fail. Did you apply to university this year?

lmao, suppose I did a little better with my coursework in that sense; gave myself a whopping three days to finish it lol.

I was actually close to taking German, but I wondered if that would be a smart move considering I can barely speak English.

And yeah, I did unfortunately apply to Uni, and to Uni's with grade requirements that are a LITTLE too high for me, I think lol let me die.
Original post by Anygy

Bunk school lmao thats what im doing call in sick or some **** and go to ur local library and bang out!
Original post by Anygy
lmao, suppose I did a little better with my coursework in that sense; gave myself a whopping three days to finish it lol.

I was actually close to taking German, but I wondered if that would be a smart move considering I can barely speak English.

And yeah, I did unfortunately apply to Uni, and to Uni's with grade requirements that are a LITTLE too high for me, I think lol let me die.

Languages at A levels are so intense, honestly have such regrets taking one. Same here, shame because I really want to go but it's just not looking like I'm going to get the grades. Gap year here I come!
Original post by sunshinehss
Omg how are you finding French 😭😭😭 it's one of my favourite subjects but there's SO much work to do 💔 and my speaking is a bloody shambles 😔

I used to love learning French but the A level has made me hate it, I honestly can't wait to be done with it - I love the language itself but I find it so hard, especially as my problem is grammar and I just have no clue how to learn it! Which exam board do you do? Do you have to do an IRP?
I used to love learning French but the A level has made me hate it, I honestly can't wait to be done with it - I love the language itself but I find it so hard, especially as my problem is grammar and I just have no clue how to learn it! Which exam board do you do? Do you have to do an IRP?

I know how you feel 😭😭 I'm doing AQA & yhh, my friends doing hers on something to do with either the burkini ban/being a Muslim woman in France.

For the grammar I've got these worksheets for the all the tenses which you have to conjugate & it has the rules which is quite helpful...

Quick Reply