Law grad looking for new career prospects Watch

mnk.x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, i'm hoping to gain a bit of advice as i'm hitting a bit of a breaking point and need some guidance as to my options and routes on the following;

1) potential career prospects.
2) where to look for grad jobs/how to get started.
3) leave my part time job for another temporary full time occupation (until i find a job that I want to pursue).
I'd really appreciate advice on any 3 matters or on all!

My current situation is that I graduated from a red brick uni last yr with a 2:2 in a law.
I decided to take a gap year as I was unsure what career I wanted to pursue, I'm currently working part time in retail. This was supposed to be temporary but I've been there for 5 months now.

I don't want to pursue a direct career in law such as the solicitor route as I feel my 2:2 has limited me massively and I have no work exp/extra curricular and lack the drive needed to be a legal professional.
I would be interested in doing something linked/related to the legal field or that incorporates legal aspects.. but not sure what roles are out there?

I'm open to new career fields, but need inspiration or a push in the right direction. I think an office based job may suit me, maybe something consultancy related? or involving clients.
In the long term I want a career with progression, where I can work my way up, but i think i'm more focused on trying something new first and getting my foot in the door, as i'm still young (21).

I don't know where to get started with my job search, I've only really used Milkround so would really appreciate any suggestions of websites!
I've also heard signing up to agencies are beneficial, so any recommendations?
I'm worried as its March now and many graduate job deadlines have ended, but I really want to be in a new job by September so i'm on a time limit.

I'm unsure whether to leave my current part time job and look for any random full time position just to earn more money whilst I decide and find a long term role.. or wait it out in my current position and focus on finding a career oriented job that I want to stay in.

Any advice would be really appreciated, I'm feeling like a lost cause at the moment and my anxiety is getting really bad, I just want to get started with my career, thank you!
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Have you contacted your university careers centre? They can give give advice and useful info regarding careers fields and job postings.

As for whether to quit now, I suppose it depends on your circumstances. If you need the money for rents, bills, etc then looking into full time work. At the same time, stay motivated in following your own career path.
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Get a second degree and become one of those legal analysts who turn legislation into code for big financial institutions. I went to a presentation by two UCL law grads who now work for startups and they seem to love it.

Any decent consultancy is gonna be near impossible with a 2:2. Consultancy is still a toughie to crack.

The most obvious role for you is that of a paralegal in a high street or regional law firm. It allows you to meet people, get a proper taste of what a legal career is like, and gain incredibly 'deep' work experience (i.e. experience which develops both soft and hard knowledge). There are plenty of professional paralegals who do that job long-term and end up getting paid decently. Alternatively, you could use your paralegal experience to hop across and become a fully qualified lawyer at another firm.

Alternatively, you could try a career in HR? Lots of contact with people involved, and HR is never going to go out of need.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Moved to Careers and Jobs
rsq1789
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Consider working in a regulatory organisation.

As you've stated yourself, unfortunately a 2.2 in law will mean *becoming a lawyer* is difficult. However your law degree gives you the right sort of skills for understanding processes, rules, analysis and advice.

This could be in the Civil Service, or various Quangos / Non-Departmental Public Bodies. Examples include: the Independent Office for Police Conduct; the Information Commissioner's Office; General Medical Council; etc.

Most of these will have paralegal / legal assistant roles, but also others which would also be relevant.

In the interim, I suggest getting even a low-paid job in office admin rather than in retail, if you can.

Best of luck, I know it feels pretty gloomy right now but you'll definitely work it out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.29%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.92%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.79%

Watched Threads