Fractured collar bone, How long till I can stop wearing my sling

Watch this thread
deividas_kasper
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Alright guys, Just a little under 2 weeks ago I got taken out playing football and landed on my shoulder at speed and fractured my collar bone, suprisingly it didn't hurt as much as I thought a broken collar bone would do and I actually continued to play on till after a minute later when I felt the crack and came off.Anyways I went to the hospital and did the X-Rays and the doctor said it should heal within 3-6 weeks and should hurt for a week so I should take pain killers . One day in i stopped taking pain killers as I felt no pain. A week later i visited the fracture clinic and without even doing a new X-Ray or checking the progress a different doctor aid come back in 5 weeks which from what I'm feeling currently it will heal much earlier. For anyone wondering I'm 18 in 3 days so from what I've seen online I don't actually know how long it will take to heal fully. My main question right now is when can I take off my sling? My fracture is not moving and my arm feels moveable below shoulder height. I also feel better without my sling on when I go take showers and go to bed wthout it on. Having it on throughout the day just aches my left arm and shoulder and I just feel tensed nd it feels like such a relief when I take it off for a bit. I'm going to continue to wear it for a little longer but i just want advice since my 18th is also coming up soon.Thanks guys
PandaWho
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by deividas_kasper)
Alright guys, Just a little under 2 weeks ago I got taken out playing football and landed on my shoulder at speed and fractured my collar bone, suprisingly it didn't hurt as much as I thought a broken collar bone would do and I actually continued to play on till after a minute later when I felt the crack and came off.Anyways I went to the hospital and did the X-Rays and the doctor said it should heal within 3-6 weeks and should hurt for a week so I should take pain killers . One day in i stopped taking pain killers as I felt no pain. A week later i visited the fracture clinic and without even doing a new X-Ray or checking the progress a different doctor aid come back in 5 weeks which from what I'm feeling currently it will heal much earlier. For anyone wondering I'm 18 in 3 days so from what I've seen online I don't actually know how long it will take to heal fully. My main question right now is when can I take off my sling? My fracture is not moving and my arm feels moveable below shoulder height. I also feel better without my sling on when I go take showers and go to bed wthout it on. Having it on throughout the day just aches my left arm and shoulder and I just feel tensed nd it feels like such a relief when I take it off for a bit. I'm going to continue to wear it for a little longer but i just want advice since my 18th is also coming up soon.Thanks guys
When i dislocated my shoulder i had to wear my sling for about 2 weeks i think. Why dont you just ask a dr? But id suggest leaving it on for as long as possible as it not only helps the healing, but it also reminds you its there as its easy to forget, do something and do more damage. And if you take it off and just move your arm from your elbow down, dont forget your still moving ligaments and muscles which are attatched to your shoulder and colar bone.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Sociology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (9)
23.08%
The paper was reasonable (18)
46.15%
Not feeling great about that exam... (7)
17.95%
It was TERRIBLE (5)
12.82%

Watched Threads