The Student Room Group

medicine vs biochemitsry

pros and cons of each subject? i’m not sure which one to go in
Biomedical science is kind of a compromise!

Biochemistry looks at proteins, kinetics, organic chemistry and i think biochemists can opt for different modules (at my uni they can study the immune system, cellular metabolism). Again at my uni some modules are taken with chemists and others are taken with Life Scientists. Wide variety of jobs available from working in NHS, research labs, teaching, further study. Cons - scientists don’t earn a lot of money.

Medicine is hard and competitive so only apply if you really want to do it. NHS isn’t looking good atm and it will lead to a set career path. Money is pretty good and employment after med School is also good although there are several cases of people leaving the field after med school as they didn’t enjoy it which is a waste of a place and of their money.

Best idea is to start with some work experience and shadowing a doctor to see if Medicine is for you. Another alternative to Medicine is Nursing, midwifery, paramedic.

Good luck with your decision!
Reply 2
Original post by NMauger96
Biomedical science is kind of a compromise!

Biochemistry looks at proteins, kinetics, organic chemistry and i think biochemists can opt for different modules (at my uni they can study the immune system, cellular metabolism). Again at my uni some modules are taken with chemists and others are taken with Life Scientists. Wide variety of jobs available from working in NHS, research labs, teaching, further study. Cons - scientists don’t earn a lot of money.

Medicine is hard and competitive so only apply if you really want to do it. NHS isn’t looking good atm and it will lead to a set career path. Money is pretty good and employment after med School is also good although there are several cases of people leaving the field after med school as they didn’t enjoy it which is a waste of a place and of their money.

Best idea is to start with some work experience and shadowing a doctor to see if Medicine is for you. Another alternative to Medicine is Nursing, midwifery, paramedic.

Good luck with your decision!

thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending