The Student Room Group

Not being able to tell the difference between certain words?

I'm not talking about words that sound the same like to, too and two. I'm talking about not being able to tell the difference between things like he and them. Like, I know what they mean, but I can't register what the person said. Or maybe they'll say "it" and I know they said "it", but I'll register it as "he". (And so on)

Is this a mental illness?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not talking about words that sound the same like to, too and two. I'm talking about not being able to tell the difference between things like he and them. Like, I know what they mean, but I can't register what the person said. Or maybe they'll say "it" and I know they said "it", but I'll register it as "he". (And so on)

It's not a mental illness. Might be a learning disability though.
Reply 2

Might be some sort of learning disability (like dyslexia). You could talk to your school or GP about it. They're kinda like mental illnesses in that they come from your head, but not in the sense that an actual mental illness is more mood related and has some technicalities which separate them.

I have dyslexia and I mix up certain words. For instance "brown" and "grey" I often get mixed up so I'll be trying to say the colour of a tree and I will call it grey. Sometimes it's specific words and sometimes it's just random in that given time. I also have some difficulty reading and writing with things like loosing my place, muddling up letters etc. Sometimes I'm more aware of it, sometimes it's less bad. It can depend on how tired I am, if I'm thinking of other things etc so sometimes I'll be completely "normal" and sometimes I'll keep making little mistakes or just won't be able to read or listen to people.
I had no idea I had dyslexia until I got older and things became more obvious to me. I was diagnosed around the time I started uni.
Reply 3
Original post by Kindred
Might be some sort of learning disability (like dyslexia). You could talk to your school or GP about it. They're kinda like mental illnesses in that they come from your head, but not in the sense that an actual mental illness is more mood related and has some technicalities which separate them.

I have dyslexia and I mix up certain words. For instance "brown" and "grey" I often get mixed up so I'll be trying to say the colour of a tree and I will call it grey. Sometimes it's specific words and sometimes it's just random in that given time. I also have some difficulty reading and writing with things like loosing my place, muddling up letters etc. Sometimes I'm more aware of it, sometimes it's less bad. It can depend on how tired I am, if I'm thinking of other things etc so sometimes I'll be completely "normal" and sometimes I'll keep making little mistakes or just won't be able to read or listen to people.
I had no idea I had dyslexia until I got older and things became more obvious to me. I was diagnosed around the time I started uni.

I don't think it's dyslexia because I have no problem reading or have any problems involving mixing up certain words. It's only with words like he, her, they, them, it, etc... Somebody might say "It was a person" and I'll know they said "It", but I'll interpret it as "He was a person", and so on... And if I say something using one of those words, when I think about what I say in my head I won't be able to remember what I said, so I'll ask the person I was talking to and they'll tell me what I said but more than likely, what they repeated back to me isn't what I thought I said... Does it still sound like dyslexia?
It could be Auditory Processing Disorder, which can come in a variety of forms. I don't think it's a mental illness in its own right, but it often comes with other stuff
Reply 5
I don't think it's dyslexia because I have no problem reading or have any problems involving mixing up certain words. It's only with words like he, her, they, them, it, etc... Somebody might say "It was a person" and I'll know they said "It", but I'll interpret it as "He was a person", and so on... And if I say something using one of those words, when I think about what I say in my head I won't be able to remember what I said, so I'll ask the person I was talking to and they'll tell me what I said but more than likely, what they repeated back to me isn't what I thought I said... Does it still sound like dyslexia?

That is something I get sometimes with mine. I'll often think I said something differently from how others heard it. I never noticed I had any reading problems really until looking into things and realising there were thing that I'd just gotten used to so didn't see as an issue. And not that cliche words swimming around the page or anything either. More just realising I've lost my place or totally forgotten what I just read.
Doesn't necessarily mean it's dyslexia for you, but could be worth looking into. If nothing else it can be a good way of learning how to describe the things you experience. Before reading up on it I wouldn't have had any clue how to discern my stuff.

Anyway you don't need to work out what it is yourself. Doing a bit of looking into things is just to give you a better idea of what to say and how when you see your GP. They'll be more suited to working out what it actually is or who to send you to. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest