The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Where should I go, Bristol or Durham?

Hello,

I asking here from Thailand. I have offers from Durham and Bristol, both in MSc Finance. I don't have a chance to visit the universities, so I want to ask you guys. In your opinion ,which in better in term of academic reputation, cost of living, quality of city, and etc? By the way, I got £5,000 scholarship from Durham so take that into account as well.

Thankyou for your help :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jayyaon
Hello,

I asking here from Thailand. I have offers from Durham and Bristol, both in MSc Finance. I don't have a chance to visit the universities, so I want to ask you guys. In your opinion ,which in better in term of academic reputation, cost of living, quality of city, and etc? By the way, I got £5,000 scholarship from Durham so take that into account as well.

Thankyou for your help :smile:

No brainer - Durham.

But Durham smaller town; weather probably colder, possibly cheaper food etc, but accomodation same price. Bristol is prettier I think.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by squeakysquirrel
No brainer - Durham.

But Durham smaller town; weather probably colder, possibly cheaper food etc, but accomodation same price. Bristol is prettier I think.

thank you for the advice. appreciated that
Reply 3
Any reason? Why choosing Durham? Thank you for the advice by the way. Really appreciated that
Reply 4
I see. Many thanks.
Reply 5
Original post by jayyaon
I see. Many thanks.

Here's the thing, in terms of reputation and whatnot the difference is non existent. The people who argue otherwise, i.e selectively read league tables and whatnot, are ignorant of how the market place for graduates works.

Now, on the real deal. Which course structure do you prefer? Do you like a lively city or a quiet town? How financially stable are you?

The 5k at Durham is certainly very good, of course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you get an offer for £5000 scholarship or did you merely apply for a £5000 scholarship?

Ignore the supposed reputation difference (e.g. reference to league tables). For starters, Bristol is in fact higher in CUG for A&F at undergrad. And I think you'd probably have more fun at Bristol than Durham.
Durham has a better reputation and a beautiful cathedral! :smile:
Original post by p.frank03
Durham has a better reputation and a beautiful cathedral! :smile:

Not internationally it doesn't...
Original post by Anagogic

Excuse me, the beauty of the cathedral transcends national barriers.
Original post by Anagogic

What do you mean?
Reply 11
Original post by _Fergo
Here's the thing, in terms of reputation and whatnot the difference is non existent. The people who argue otherwise, i.e selectively read league tables and whatnot, are ignorant of how the market place for graduates works.

Now, on the real deal. Which course structure do you prefer? Do you like a lively city or a quiet town? How financially stable are you?

The 5k at Durham is certainly very good, of course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. Both course structures are indifference for me.
2. It is difficult to answer because I don't live there and I don't know how quiet and lively do you mean. I prefer a normal city where I can enjoy movies, coffee, shopping, and jogging.
3. Finance isn't a problem, but the scholarship improves my CV. But if Durham literally has nothing to enjoy, I can give up this scholarship.

Thank for the comment. Your comment really helps me. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Notoriety
Did you get an offer for £5000 scholarship or did you merely apply for a £5000 scholarship?

Ignore the supposed reputation difference (e.g. reference to league tables). For starters, Bristol is in fact higher in CUG for A&F at undergrad. And I think you'd probably have more fun at Bristol than Durham.

I am holding the scholarship right now.
I just wonder why people say Durham is boring. Is it that boring in reality, or it is boring because you compare it with Bristol.

Many thanks
Reply 13
Original post by jayyaon
1. Both course structures are indifference for me.
2. It is difficult to answer because I don't live there and I don't know how quiet and lively do you mean. I prefer a normal city where I can enjoy movies, coffee, shopping, and jogging.
3. Finance isn't a problem, but the scholarship improves my CV. But if Durham literally has nothing to enjoy, I can give up this scholarship.

Thank for the comment. Your comment really helps me. :smile:

So, Bristol is lively (has literally everything you need) but is not over-whelming, like London might be for some. I think it fits your description of a 'normal city'.

Now I haven't been to Durham but it's a town with 50k people. That's not to say there's nothing to do there, as I know people still go out and can have fun. However, the number of shops and whatnot is naturally much more limited, and it's also considerably colder.

I'd recommend reading around on forums and watching videos before making a decision.

Bristol as a Uni has not been the best experience for me (but that's law-specific), but the City is truly great. I had applied to Durham as well and received an unconditional, but the thought of living in a small town was a bit daunting for me. Depends on your personal preferences.

Best of luck.
Original post by p.frank03
What do you mean?

Overall it's more renown globally.
Original post by Notoriety
Excuse me, the beauty of the cathedral transcends national barriers.

That's the only reason for it breaking into the top 10 :biggrin:

You can't go wrong with Durham in all fairness.
Original post by _Fergo

Bristol as a Uni has not been the best experience for me (but that's law-specific)

Best of luck.

Could you elaborate on that, please? Only if you want to, of course.
Reply 17
Original post by rozanov
Could you elaborate on that, please? Only if you want to, of course.

Hey,

Well, it's difficult to describe precisely because there are many different aspects affecting one's studies at a university.

The main reason would be the intensity of the degree - they do not seem to get that 6 modules are way too many when their content on an individual basis is comparable to that of any uni that is doing 4 modules. This causes issues with organising oneself and preparing notes for exams, especially when many exam involve answering 4 questions in 3 hours (when for 6 modules it should be 2!).

Then there's the support - it's good but could be so much better. With the essays you're practically left entirely on your own and what you're taught has minimal relevance to the actual question. The marking is relatively inconsistent and the criteria unclear.

They are also very strict in terms of marking in the first year. I do not know why, but a majority of people get 2.2s in individual exam questions, which is ridiculous. Let's not even mention the number of 1sts (I remember in tort there were just 3 firsts in my year out of 400+ students).

Their mental support work has to improve dramatically - the unfortunate number of people taking their lives is clear indication to that.

I guess these are the main things - probably missing a few minor ones in between though.
Original post by _Fergo
Hey,

Well, it's difficult to describe precisely because there are many different aspects affecting one's studies at a university.

The main reason would be the intensity of the degree - they do not seem to get that 6 modules are way too many when their content on an individual basis is comparable to that of any uni that is doing 4 modules. This causes issues with organising oneself and preparing notes for exams, especially when many exam involve answering 4 questions in 3 hours (when for 6 modules it should be 2!).

Then there's the support - it's good but could be so much better. With the essays you're practically left entirely on your own and what you're taught has minimal relevance to the actual question. The marking is relatively inconsistent and the criteria unclear.

They are also very strict in terms of marking in the first year. I do not know why, but a majority of people get 2.2s in individual exam questions, which is ridiculous. Let's not even mention the number of 1sts (I remember in tort there were just 3 firsts in my year out of 400+ students).

Their mental support work has to improve dramatically - the unfortunate number of people taking their lives is clear indication to that.

I guess these are the main things - probably missing a few minor ones in between though.

Thank you so much for the insight. Do you feel like most students share that assessment of the situation?
Reply 19
Hey guys,

Thank you for all the comments. I choose Durham which I hope it's the correct choice.

Thank again guys. I appreciated all the discussions.

Best,

Quick Reply

Latest